Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What resort you've been once and don't want to go back?

Poster: A snowHead
landlockedpirate,
Sounds like the problem was the accommodation rather than the resort.

Generally it shows how much is down to personal preference several of my favourite resorts are listed in this thread.

Bode Swiller,
What else is the problem with St Moritz other than Russians.
Engadine valley as opposed to St Motitz itself which looks a bit pricey is on my list of possibilities this Easter.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abc, exactly. Moguls are the new dog's dangly bits.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Rosiere, prob'ly the most boring skiing in the French Alps,
Breckenridge, skiing v.overrated
Three valleys, ditto

Places I like

PDS, I would say that, I live here,
St Anton, great off piste, apres ski etc,
Chamonix, has everything except linked skiing but who cares?
Verbier, off piste etc
Chimbulak, Kazakstan. Very different,
Dizin, Iran as above and very seventies French lift system.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been lucky, I've never been anywhere that I wouldn't go back to.
Resorts I've been to:
Deux Alpes - first trip so didn't know any better
Sella Ronda - 2nd trip, ditto
Grand Massif fine, but bus system is unreliable
3 Valleys, loved it
PDS, loved it
Grand Massif 2nd time, bus system still rubbish
Les Arcs, liked the skiing, thought Les Arcs 2000 was a concrete student union on a hill

If I had to choose a place to go back to, it'd probably be PDS.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's nowhere I wouldn't go back to, but have to admit to not fancying Eastern Europe, and for a week's skiing, anywhere with less than 60km of runs, until I'm good enough to go off piste. Would prefer large descent without needing a lift. Not bothered about architecture - the mountains and the snow are what I'm going there for!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think I'd go back to most places but one of my mates went to Steamboat Springs a few years ago attracted by the trademark 'Champagne Powder' and it p*ssed down with rain all week he was not a happy bunny and won't be heading back there in a hurry!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK - i'm prepared for the shooting down i'm going to get for this but ...

what is it with Chamonix ?????? Puzzled been there tiwce , in good weather and variable weather. Skid Argentiere cos everyone says you have to .... well it was a mountain with some snow on it, some bumps on it and some bits of it reaosnably steep - did i miss something ? Do certain people get given a special ticket to a special section of teh mountain that normal people dnot get told about ?

In fact i quite preferred les houches down the end of the valley . Especially in a blizzard knee deep uncompacted snow on piste Mad Ah well it takes all sorts.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gsyfreerider, yeah, right, so one unlucky week and the place is always crap?

sev112, while I do like Les Houches, as it has better mountain food, the Grands Montets have some of the best tough skiing (not pisted) in the Alps. And the height means good snow (unglaciated) for longer than almost anywhere else. Chamonix's reputation rests on it's off piste terrain, some of the best and reasonably easily accessed anywhere. BUt if you don't like bumps or off piste, it isn't necessarily any better than anywhere else.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kirchdorf and Poiana Brasov - and they are the only two resorts I've ever been too!

Kirchdorf -Great for a learn to ski holiday, but I've learnt now, and it's very low. When I was there it was just a patch of ice in the middle of green fields.

Poiana Brasov - Very small ski area. Great for a 2nd, possibly 3rd week if you are a slow learner, but I've been there. Didn't appreciate the 4hr transfer, either.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Didn't like so would avoid: Chamonix and L2A
Fond memories of (but would still avoid): Macugnaga - tiny but first experience of skiing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
youspurs1 wrote:

Kirchdorf -Great for a learn to ski holiday, but I've learnt now, and it's very low. When I was there it was just a patch of ice in the middle of green fields.

That is where I am going in 4 weeks today!

But I don't expect to ski Kirchdorf itself except for an hour or two on arrival. It is 10-15 minutes by ski bus to St Johann in one direction or Waidring in the other.

Although i do suspect it will be a place I will be unlikely to go more than once.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thread Summary
--------------------
Austria - Cr@p - Full of Germans - Too Much Snow
Switzerland - Cr@p - Full of weirdos - Too Much Snow
Italy - Cr@p - Full of Crap - Too Much Snow
France - Cr@p - Full of Brits - Too Much Snow
Scotland - Cr@p - Full of Jocks - Snow...what's that ?

wink Shocked snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's nowhere I've been that I wouldn't return to, although I like to try new places:

Sella Ronda: learnt here, blown away by the ambience & scenery, so returned 3 times since and there's still more to explore

Montgenevre: some lovely runs for a second weeker, under-rated

La Plagne: big mountain, long runs

Grand Massif: pretty and extensive area, but will avoid French school hols next time

3Vallees: only scratched the surface

Les Contamines: fun area, especially with a group of friends.

Ski Welt: a huge variety of runs and nice huts

Banff/Lake Louise: all-round awesome experience

Arlberg: serious skiing, non-stop snow hampered some of the enjoyment

Maybe I've been lucky, maybe I'm easily pleased, but I've usually done some research before I book and I've found a good reason for going to a particular resort.
I also notice that the the usual suspects in this thread are places that I have steered clear of.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Valmorel - would not rush back
Les Coches - horrid icy run home, lacks village feel. Would stay higher up in belle plagne if returned but prefer Les Arcs side
Val Thorens - cold and no character - didn't like 3 valleys in general.

Tend not to return to places as I like the excitement of trying new resorts and accommodation. I think there is a risk of being disappointed if one has a great holiday somewhere and returns to the same place...something to do with marginal utility/diminishing returns - struggling to remember economics a level 20 yrs ago!

I think the place I would be most tempted to go back to would be Les Arcs.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I, like a lot of people on here would never say never but I think with each holiday you go on it will be the accomodation that will leave the biggest impression. When you choose a resort for the first time there is only so much research you can do. So it will be the second visit that you will choose better accom. and location.

We went to Les Arc 1800 and intially I said never again but 2 years later I'm thinking yeah maybe but we'd stay in Vallandry or Peisey instead. Same terrain better looking villages.

We're going back to a resort (Meribel, was our first time) for the first time this year so it will be interesting how it compares to the first visit 4 years ago.
latest report
jvan, strange, I find it difficult to remember the accommodation. I'm there for the skiing, not to stay in the hotel.

I do remember bad snow conditions, but unless a resort is famous for them I would not take them into account for a new booking.

I'm in the camp "I'd go back anywhere", but for a couple of days rather than a whole week. I've even gone back to Predeal, Romania, for a day of 4 inches of fresh snow on a 0.5 inch base.
latest report
There is no resort/ski area I've been to I wouldn't go to again but for example if I'm ever in Banff again I wouldn't bother with the local ski area, whatever-its-called because it was just so small.
snow conditions
Agenterre,
Quote:

Thread Summary
--------------------
Austria - Cr@p - Full of Germans - Too Much Snow
Switzerland - Cr@p - Full of weirdos - Too Much Snow
Italy - Cr@p - Full of Crap - Too Much Snow
France - Cr@p - Full of Brits - Too Much Snow
Scotland - Cr@p - Full of Jocks - Snow...what's that ?

HA HA.

I would not go back to Solden - RUBISH !
snow conditions
666, Norquay...
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
youspurs1 wrote:

That is where I am going in 4 weeks today!

But I don't expect to ski Kirchdorf itself except for an hour or two on arrival. It is 10-15 minutes by ski bus to St Johann in one direction or Waidring in the other.

Although i do suspect it will be a place I will be unlikely to go more than once.

Yes, nothing wrong with it as a base for exploring the schneewinkle - as long as you are not after anything much in the way of apres ski.
When I was there (jan '07) only the bottom of the slope was open, even if the whole thing is open I doubt it would entertain a decent skiier for more than an hour or two.
latest report
Kirchdorf.

You had a patch of ice !! Luxury.

Up at 7 for an 8 a.m bus to Stubai, to queue and get to the top by 11 a.m and then sit outside the one lousy self service because the interior was full of fat Germans having picnics.

Down by 3 p.m for the bus back to what would have been a one horse town, but they ate it.

Oh and on night the organiser of the trip said "I think we're getting Apfel Strudel tonight" then there was smoke from the kitchen and we got served very small pots of apple mixed with sultanas, cinnamon and cloves.
ski holidays
Breckenridge - the most boring skiing in the world. You can't tell which run you're on because they're all the same. No view to speak of, despite high altitude. There's even a blue run that you don't have to turn on - just point your skis down and proceed in stately fashion toward the chairlift.
ski holidays
Les Deux Alpes
Val D'Isere
Risoul
Chamonix
Les Arcs
Whistler
Meribel
Bansko
Verbier
Courcheval 1850

Buses in Chamonix are a pain and nightlife in Courcheval 1850 and Les Arcs was dull. But I've enjoyed the skiing at every one of these places - you just have to adapt to what you have put in front of you.
snow conditions
There isn't anywhere I've skied that i wouldn't go back to tomorrow if i could.

Although, I haven't been to eastern europe.
ski holidays
No contest...Borovets.
latest report
magic_hat, yeah, OK, a bad day on the mountain beats a good day at work and all that, but the point is; Which was the worst of the ones you've been to? This (interesting) thread is about the places that - given a free choice - one might prefer to avoid in the future
ski holidays
BCjohnny wrote:
GrandValira (Pas/Grau/Sol/Tart/Can).

Living in northern Spain, I know GV really well, what with it being about the largest linked resort in the area. I'm interested in why you didn't like it... merely because I don't know much outside the Pyrenees and so I'm keen to hear the opinions of those who, I imagine, usually go to the Alps!
snow report
red 27 wrote:
magic_hat, yeah, OK, a bad day on the mountain beats a good day at work and all that, but the point is; Which was the worst of the ones you've been to? This (interesting) thread is about the places that - given a free choice - one might prefer to avoid in the future

Then, there're those of us who actually LIKE our job! Wink

More to the point, there're quite a few resort that I'd rather not waste a vacation day on. I would even volunteer to work on weekends instead of skiing at certain resort if that allows me an extra day to take a chance at some OTHER resort!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc, you like your job more than you like skiing? You are Tiger Woods and I claim my €5 Toofy Grin
snow conditions
borovets

prozzies, dodgy food, dodgy natives, dodgy hotel, dodgy ski lifts, dodgy weather

booze was cheap though Very Happy
snow report
red 27 wrote:
abc, you like your job more than you like skiing? You are Tiger Woods and I claim my €5 Toofy Grin

I definitely like my job more than skiing!

Even amoungst all the other non-money making fun things I do whenever I get a chance, skiing doesn't rank at the top. Still, I wouldn't want to do THAT for the majority of my time either.

Perhaps this should be another thread. Would you rather ski 5 days a week for the next 20 years (any weather, as long as there's snow on the ground) or in the office 5 days a week for the next 20 years? I know a lot of people would want to get out of the office since they have no interest in their job besides the money. But I'm not one of such. My job grew out of a hobby. Wink
latest report
Arinsal. A last minute trip when not much was available. Limited.

Les Karellis. A lesser French resort that did not have much to warrant a return. Areches is close and smaller but I enjoyed Areches more and have returned there. Both were big group trips so the crack was as important as the skiing.
latest report
abc, I used to love my job, but just recently it doesn't have the same appeal. A new job would mean a total career change I think to make it better.
snow report
I'll probably by lynched for saying this but I thought Val d'Isere was very overrated. Its ok if you like skiing in the shade and crowds like Oxford Street on a Saturday... Tignes much better ski area but obviously the architecture leaves a lot to be desired...
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:
abc, I used to love my job, but just recently it doesn't have the same appeal. A new job would mean a total career change I think to make it better.

I don't "love" all aspect of my job. But a small part of it was great! And that was what make it a good job. I can deal with the rest as long as I get to do my fun bits.

So, I may sometimes be tempted to change job in order to get more of that fun bit. Don't always work out (like this current one). But overall as a career, I'm quite happy about it.

As much as I enjoy skiing (or cycling, which is a much bigger and "funner" hobby for me), I don't want to be doing them 5 days a week for years (decades).
snow conditions
Beks1969,

It's OK beks - i thought i'd get the same for critcising Chamonix, but obviously people are much kinder on her than on Mumsnet !!

I think i know what you mean about Vd'I , but when you add all teh ski areas together there there is a lot of variety there, and it does have a semblance of a real village in eth shade of a mountain (albeit a loud one!)
latest report
abc, it used to have 'fun' bits, but they are what now seems to be missing.
snow conditions
Bansko - awful hotel, mediocre and not very much skiing (made up for only by the gorgeous ski instructor!), awful food (lots of offal food), ankle breaking holes in the pavements, HUGE gondola queues first thing in the morning, very long transfer from Plovdiv airport, Plovdiv airport, guys hassling you too eat in their mehanas(restaurants)...etc.,etc. Nope, won't be going back there again, thank you very much! rolling eyes
ski holidays
have I mentioned chamonix?
latest report
Well, I've only been skiing 3 times so far, and there are so many new places to try I probably wouldn't go back to anywhere I'd already been. Having said that, I had a great trip each time I went:

Saalbach/Hinterglemm: 16 years old and I went on a school trip to learn to ski. When we got there one side of the valley was just grass, the other was ice. The school didn't enforce any sort of curfew on the sixth formers, so most nights we were out getting trolleyed (partly out of sheer amazement that no one was stopping us). I remember a friend throwing up under a table in a nightclub, another getting caught in the bedroom of a lass from a girl's school from back home (which had foolishly chosen the same week and resort as us for their ski trip), and me briefly having a girl I lusted after from the same school sit on my lap in a bar while the Prodigy's Out of Space pumped out of the sound system - happy days... I barely remember the skiing but god that was a great holiday.

Kloster/Davos: Early 20's. Friend of my cousin was over from Australia and her parents happened to own a chalet in Klosters (as you do). Loads of snow and the skiing was great, it seemed to come back to me pretty quickly and another friend who was with us (and was a fantastic skier) gave me some good tips and also my first tentative taste of skiing off piste in deep snow (I fell over a lot). Also spent a fair bit of time drinking Goldschlager and marvelling at how pretty the Christmas lights were in Klosters. Fantastic stuff.

Meribel & the Three Valleys: January last year (and I'm in my early 30's now so it was a bit of a gap). 7 of us stayed in a wonderful little chalet in Meribel eating and drinking like kings. Most days it was blue skies all the way and my skiing came on leaps and bounds, had a fantastic time cruising blues but also stepping it up a gear with a few more challenging reds. Proposed to my girlfriend at the top of the mountain between Meribel and Courchevel on the Monday, came down with Norovirus on the Tuesday (so missed a day's skiing), and generally had the most incredible week.

So this year, my wife and I are off to Avoriaz in January ... can't wait!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy