Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

hiring skis

Poster: A snowHead
I have been skiing for about ten years and would assess my ability as strong intermediate. I can skl down most runs confidently, but prefer groomed pistes. I just enjoy skiing, but have little knowledge about the right equipment. I am 6'1" and ask at the hire shop for a mid range ski length 165-170cm. I can't help thinking that I am missing out some how in order to progress to another level. Should I be going for a Platinum ski as opposed to performance? I vary my turns, but most enjoy long and fast. I am skiing in Canazei Sella Ronda in January and will be using Northland shop. Last time I went there I pre booked online via skiset. Should I ask for a particular ski?

Or should I just go with what I Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled am given?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What's the choice in the shop between? And how much do you weigh?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mosha Marc, SALOMON Xwing Cruiser or equivalent, ROSSIGNOL Zenith Z3 Os TPI² or equivalent, SALOMON Equipe 24 R or equivalent, ROSSIGNOL Zenith Z9.5 Grand Sport or equivalent, SALOMON Xwing Tornado Ti + Protrak or equivalent. It doesn't say what the equivalent is. I weigh about 94 kilos. Cheers
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Of those, I think the Salomon Equipe is the more piste orientated (IIRC). As a race/carver it's stiffer which would suit your hight and weight.

If you're staying on the piste, then I'd go for that option in any make.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc, Thanks for that, someone did remark last year that there was too much flex in the skis I had that time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mfamily2, with your height and weight, I would think a longer ski would be a good idea (you have nearly 4" on me and I ski a 175cm+). Unless you particularly like the character of Salomon or Rossi skis, I would really suggest you try Atomic SX or K2 Crossfires. They're stiffer than Salomon in my experience and suit your preferred skiing style, particularly the Atomics. If there is a rental shop in Canazei that offers a wider choice, I would look into it. Also, a decent shop would allow you to swap and change during your hols.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
'bout the same height/weight as me. I've normally ended up on the Rossi's (Z3 or Z5 i think, but can't be sure). Last time out (Campitello) they insisted I should be on something stiffer and heavier, so gave me a pair of Atomic GS10's Shocked . Wicked on the blues/reds, but a right handful in the bumps on the black at Alba.

Atomic SL/SX, K2 Crossfire, and a newer Rossi Z.something are on my list to try, but they don't tend to pop up on the rental sites as typical skis in the range. Probably need to ask specifically in the store.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd still be thinking SL over GS, unless you're a proper Mach 10 speed freak.

If so, they're built to be skiied shorter. I'm 5'11", 14 stone and have no problems down to 160 on piste. I use 190 off piste though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Or should I just go with what I am given?

Not a good way to go, IMV..

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 30-09-09 0:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
you may wish to read the Fallline ski mag article on rental skis......
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was given Rossignol Attraxion V skis in Kitzbuhel which I loved and Salomon Street Racer skis in Courmayeur which I wasn't keen on. There didn't seem to be any choice, you just get what you were given.

For this reason, although it doesn't make much financial sense, I was thinking about buying my own skis if I can find something decent cheap enough. However, being able to choose rental skis might solve my problem. I've always paid a little bit extra for the supposedly better quality rental skis, but it still seems to be a bit of a lottery.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Read that Fall-line article.... not sure I put much store in it... and besides if you like the ski, then does it matter much..?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT wrote:
Read that Fall-line article.... not sure I put much store in it... and besides if you like the ski, then does it matter much..?

I'm inclined to agree - looked more than a little self serving in a gear review/ad mag to have a good bash at rental shops & was the classic filler article - in fact beyond the gear reviews which were clearly not as comprehensive as before (& maybe not even the suject of a full ski test??) though the mag was very poor & light on content.

Re rentals IME absolutely no point in specifying or hoping for a specific ski, you need to be informed enoiugh to know if they're giving you something that's crap or to ask for what you do want in store when you see what's in the rack.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob,

yeah, quite agree, if you go in the shop and act clueless, then the wrong guy on the wrong day could just get rid of anything.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 30-09-09 0:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, having properly serviced skis at LG is a bit like putting a big sign on your head saying "I am a punter" Wink

as the others say, the best way is to have an idea what you like and choose something from the rack yourself. the second best is to go when it isn't too busy and chat to the tech tell him what you like, how you ski etc
latest report
JT, Arno, AFAIK you aren't supposed to hire skis at La Grave, if you need some you go to the Black Diamond test centre.
snow conditions
Swirly, of course... but you don't want to take the p*** as they are for demo..

But I think we (collectively) bought stuff after demoing it there...so it worked out well...
latest report
mfamily2, "I can't help thinking that I am missing out some how in order to progress to another level."

Your hire skis are not that likely to be holding you back, although arguably you could be benefiting from a more pleasurable experience. If you want to improve, generally lessons will help more than "better" skis.

But you do want to know what you're hiring. And you want them in good nick. I'm not a big fan of pre-reserving. A. our clients get better discounts in resort from the same companies than if they'd hired on line (because we negotiate better discounts) and B. whenever I hire skis, I check the shop out, service, kit and staff out first.
ski holidays
JT, its what the saisonaires there do: MegaWatts for fresh snow and er... MegaWatts for any other conditions.
snow report
Swirly,

I should think the BD guy gets lots of beer bought for him then... or maybe he drinks Robin's secret whisky stash... wink

I like a place where the one ski quiver is a DP pro... Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy