Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Impact Pants and Wrist Guards?

Poster: A snowHead
Need to buy some impact shorts and guards for our upcoming snowboarding lessons. Anyone got any recommendations?

Tried these on for a start but had trouble getting salopettes over them
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thefatcontroller, salopettes ? Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rayscoops wrote:
thefatcontroller, salopettes ? Puzzled
Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"Self inflating fan"?

For the more egotistical wearer?

John.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thefatcontroller, no particular recommendations, but with the wrist guards, be sure to check fit with gloves - if gloves are a bit snug they can be a problem.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thefatcontroller, are Salopettes those all in one bib type rediculous looking Morris dancing things that skiers where Puzzled

get some proper baggy pants if you are going to board and wear that thing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thefatcontroller, bargainboards.co.uk is where I got mine. not too expensive. Demon shorts I think.
They do work.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops wrote:
thefatcontroller, are Salopettes those all in one bib type rediculous looking Morris dancing things that skiers where Puzzled

get some proper baggy pants if you are going to board and wear that thing Laughing

Be assured I have bought salopettes 3 times to big and am practising walking around with them hanging round my a-hole wink Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just bought myself some armored shorts as also have a freertyle lesson coming up soon. Plenty on ebay but like your full body airbag idea. Thought self inflating fartbags were solely the preserve of our pole carrying cousins. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Flexmeter wristguards are more comfortable than the other ones.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A 2nd vote for Flexmeter - excellent wrist guards, I haven't broken my wrist yet when wearing them. Very Happy

Get them here http://www.alpsgear.co.uk/ but be warned, they may require the next size up in gloves - mine did (although it gave me an excuse to buy a new pair Smile )
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm getting some Level Fly gloves this season with built in wrist guards (called Biomex), they look really good. Crash pants I have a pair of Red Protection which have both soft and hard padding, landed on ice, rails and boxes in them with no worries. This seasons Red crash Pants have d30 panels in them which looks the mutts, check the stuff out here ->
http://youtube.com/v/9VDeJ7rLUYU
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller, Take up skiing, no need for all this padding Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used to have £13 demon wrist guards under standard gloves. I now have Burton Impacts with built-in wrist guard. Saves the faffing about and with the guard on the back of the hand rather than the front it is easier to handle other things.
I also invested in some cheap but great knee pads from Decathlon
Never have bothered with impact shorts.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boredsurfing, some of us have no appetite for skin tight day glo fart suits sorry Wink
latest report
TotallyBoard, Oh! You have seen thefatcontroller, skiing then Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
Never bothered with wrist guards. Each to their own I guess.

Decent set of panzer pants (mine are "Bullet",IIRC), and a hat.

Eyeing up spine protectors/lightweight upper body at the mo. Either a sign of maturity, or old age............... Confused

John.
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
thefatcontroller, Take up skiing, no need for all this padding Toofy Grin

Lifes to short, nothing wrong with trying something new Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I'm not convinced that wristguards are the way forward...
ski holidays
Shallimus wrote:
I'm not convinced that wristguards are the way forward...

Helmets...
ski holidays
if you are the FATcontroller then surely you have enough natural padding ? works for me Laughing
snow report
i highly recommend Level Flys. biomex reckoned to be as good as flexmeters when tested and really comfortable. my gloves have done about 6 weeks now and still look like new.
ski holidays
BCjohnny wrote:
Never bothered with wrist guards. Each to their own I guess.

Decent set of panzer pants (mine are "Bullet",IIRC), and a hat.

Eyeing up spine protectors/lightweight upper body at the mo. Either a sign of maturity, or old age............... Confused

John.

I always rock the dainese spine protector jacket thing. Saved me no end of times.
ski holidays
Jonny luv plums, but you rock the park !! Very Happy
ski holidays
I've always used wristguards and the best were a cheap pair of KHF. I bought the demon guards as modelled by the 'broken wrist guy' and didn't like them as they were just too rigid and painful. Last season I had Burton Gore Tex support glove which has the guard on the back of the hand. I think its a good idea in theory but in practice I missed that confidence of falling on my hands. plus the gloves didnt last so I got the Level Flys. w/ biomex system. These are the dogs and judging by rogg's recommendation I made the right choice. Cant wait to shred 'em!!
ski holidays
rayscoops, not really, I'm a pussy when it comes to the park, makes me a beginner again, park skills out of the park is where I'm at Smile Urban stylee as all the manufactures seem to be calling it.
snow report
Jlp - me too Wink
snow report
rayscoops, got any vids?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just managed to break my coccyx (again) when I was over in NZ, whilst wearin my 'RED' impact shorts - (not the ones that look like baggy boxer shorts, the ones with loads of padding and plastic armour!) and I don't want to think about what I would have done myself if I hadn't have been wearing them.
Having said that, there were qute pricey and I saw something very similar on a mountain biking website a week or so ago for half the price, so it might be worth checking out some mountain biking stores.
latest report
go to blacks (before they close) buy and 'el-cheapo' camping mat (std foam type) for about 10 quid. Cut out a bum-shaped pad, stick down back of pants.

Good luck with it.
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
rayscoops, got any vids?
err, no, not the type you mean any way Embarassed
snow report
FC, learning to fall safely is a much better investment.

Its instinctive to anyone who has played rugby, but if going over backwards try to land on the middle of your back, not your lower back and certainly not your bum. If going over forwards try not to put your hands out but keep them by your sides and twist your body to land on your side. This one is harder to overcome and if you do put your arms out, make sure they are bent to act like shock absorbers. The wrist breaks tend to come from the hand locking into the snow and the body twisting around that point, causing spiral fractures.

Keeping your CoG low when learning not only means you have less distance to fall, but it also makes a fall much less likely.
snow report
I did buy an expensive pair of Dainese padded pants a few years ago - not sure how effective, but the bruising I had before I bought them made me feel a lot better parting with my beer money (it's all in the head!). My wife on the other hand, who went for the first time a year later and after seeing said bruising upon my return bought a pair of second hand ice hockey pants. We had to cut a lot of the front padding out (really not needed), but found they work far better than the expensive Dainese pair and cost £5 from flea bay. My guess is that ice hockey pants have deal with big blokes falling/being pushed on ice, a lot.

Wristguards - another story, but currently have a Dakine pair and they are bulky, unsightly and make you sweat, but have done their job in the past. Not sure if to wear them this year, depends if the powder arrives!
snow conditions
Bought 'red' impact shorts in the end. They are the new ones with the d3o material that on impact becomes solid, much lighter and less bulky that older materials used in impact shorts. Only 3 weeks to go to try them out in anger.
latest report
thefatcontroller,

you got no choice but to like the dark side now...you bought everything, you gonna have to make it worth!
latest report
Kruisler, can't wait now, only 3 weeks to go. Always wanted to learn, we go often enough that we should be able to ski and board. Lifes to short not to try something new Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy