Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A Yank looking for information - about Wengen

Poster: A snowHead
mrhazmat, not sure about the Sunstar arrangements, most hotels have some sort of ski room, however litterally right across the street from the Sunstar is Central Sport where you can rent both equipment and racks/lockers etc. THey even have boot dryers so when you rent storage space you do so for skis and boots and the warmed air (but not hot) boot dryers mean your ski boots are dried overnight. Everything there is numbered and you get a sticker for your skis with the numbered spot.

Yor great advantage is that you don't have far to schlep arround, from the Sunstar it's about a hundred yards to the Cablecar station and perhaps 500 yards at most to the Railway station, you can't quite ski back to the door, but you can get back to within 100 yards of it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All Hotels have a room for storing skis and boots, but not all have heated racks for boots. Generally in Europe there are no lockers, though there are in a few places. However I have never known gear to be stolen from the ski room.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 23-10-09 11:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mrhazmat wrote:
Hello Again,

First off, thanks to everyone for their input and advice. Since our trip to Wengen is now a done deal, if any Snowheads are in the area the first 2 weeks of March the first pint is on me. More to follow.

We are staying at the Sunstar and was wondering what the typical method of storing skis, boots etc. is? Generally, do hotels have these type of facilities or do you tromp up to your room with boots on and skis in hand?

Sunstar has a ski room in the basement of the hotel. There are no lockers, but there are racks for the skis and heated boot storage. You can then take the lift directly to your level in the hotel.

I can also confirm that the food in the Sunstar is excellent and well worth CHF40. See you in the bar sometime!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
D G Orf wrote:
mrhazmat, not sure about the Sunstar arrangements, most hotels have some sort of ski room, however litterally right across the street from the Sunstar is Central Sport where you can rent both equipment and racks/lockers etc. THey even have boot dryers so when you rent storage space you do so for skis and boots and the warmed air (but not hot) boot dryers mean your ski boots are dried overnight

Some idiot, who may or may not be on this forum accidentally turned off the dryer belonging to most of the ski teachers one night, the idiot was not in many people's good books the next day. Laughing probably a stonedboarder.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At the Sunstar you pay a deposit upon which you are given a key to the ski room, return the key at the end of holiday to get deposit returned.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonny luv plums wrote:

Some idiot, who may or may not be on this forum accidentally turned off the dryer belonging to most of the ski teachers one night, the idiot was not in many people's good books the next day. Laughing probably a stonedboarder.

The idiot should have been sacked! wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wonderful information!! What a wealth of knowledge here for us uninformed.

Thank You,
Doug
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hello,

I am enjoying this forum very much as its insight to european ski issues is tremendous. As mentioned when I started this post, was looking for a resort where a beginner would feel comfortable on the pistes as well as the more experienced. I recently ran into this post which was surprising considering all I have read/researched.....

"If I didn't have you guys here to advise me on suitability of resorts, I could have unwittingly made a bad choice had I relied upon descriptions like the above. Take Wengen - a number of SHs told me they thought the skiing I could tackle would be limited - yet 1/3rd of its slopes are listed as "beginner pistes".

The above statement came from a topic discussing trail ratings and how they can be misleading at various resorts.

Now that we are locked in to our ski vaction, would anyone be willing to name some recommended runs in Wengen/Jungfrau for said beginner? I see there are nursery slopes in Wengen proper but my GF is certainly game (and experienced) enough to try something longer and with slightly more challenge.

Thanks,
Doug
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mrhazmat, Is your GF pass the snowplough stage yet ? If so she will be able to get down at least 50% of runs in the area.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mrhazmat, Have a look at the pistemap here
European colour code of pistes ( prepared groomed trails) blue= easiest, red = medium, black = hardest
From the top of the Mannlichen cable car blue 2 is a good first run to find your ski legs, ski down to the bottom of the Mannlichen high speed quad chairlift and back to the top. Work your way across via the Lager and Gummi chairlifts to the base of the Arven lift (although the map shows some of the routes as red there are "easier" red choices signposted). Take Arven chairlift up to Kleine Scheidegg (alternatively you can take the train from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg). From Kleine Scheidegg there is a long blue run 22 down to Brandegg - the restaurant there is a favourite lunch stop with regulars - famed for its apple fritters! Madeye-Smiley . From Kleine Scheidegg there is a blue piste route all the way back to Wengen.

Enjoy!
PS I'm sure Snowhead Chris Brookes would also recommend you spend a day over at Murren, and I concur. Pick a good day for it weather wise and be sure to visit the Piz Gloria restaurant at the top of the Schilthorn (your beginners will probably want to give the black run from the top a miss, but there are great views from there and you can take the cable car back down without having to ski it wink )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hiya, I'm new to forum, new to skiing and new to Wengen but not new to beer, so I'll take you up on that pint Smile
I will be mooching out there the first week of march.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mrhazmat, Blues for your girlfriend, No. 22 from Kleine Scheidegg down to Brandegg (don't go beyond brandegg unless snow is fantastic as bottom of run can be a bit of a slog) and teh Blue from Mannlichen down to Mannlichen Chair lift is another nice easy (and reasonably long one).

For an easy start take the Blue 22 from Kleine Schidegg down to the Arven chair, as confidence builds up maybe go to some gentle reds, the Red down from Honegg is fairly gentle as are several on the Mannlichen
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowheads, you are fantastic.

As you can surmise, I am very excited to be returning to the Alps and spend more time than I want to admit researching Wengen. Madeye-Smiley

This is the GF's first trip aboad (and skiing outside of Vermont and New Hampshire) and I would like to ensure she enjoys herself and not be totally overwhelmed. Hell, I'll be overwhelmed as well.

She is definetly past the snowplow phase but is still timid in her skiing. I am going to encourage her to get a lesson or two during our stay which should increase her comfort zone.

Again, I sincerely appreciate all the advice and information.
Doug
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mrhazmat, As regards lessons for your GF, there are two ski schools in Wengen, the Swiss Ski School whose office is near the station adjacent to the Co-Op supermarket, and the Privat Ski school whose office is on the main street a bit further along than the Sunstar Hotel and on the opposite side. I can highly recommend the Privat instructors.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair Pink, we (Altitude Snowsports School) also offer lessons in Wengen, but do not yet have an office there.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 19-11-09 13:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I ll be going to hotel Belvedere at Wengen. Any comments upon that Hotel?
snow report
KevinVT, Basic but perfectly ok hotel, was once a decent 3 star but is now IMHO showing its age, however the rooms are a decent size and there is plenty of reasonable food from a buffet choice each night (or at least there was last year), it's a short uphill trudge from station, you may prefer to keep skis and boots at central sport (small charge) each night as we did. Hotel porter will come and pick your luggage up from the station so long as they know you are due to arrive, you can call free from Lauterbrunnen station platform using the courtesy phone you will find there or from Wengen station where teh courtesy phone can be found in the covered area between the main station building and the left luggage lockers
ski holidays
KevinVT, Wot D G Orf said - plus I rather like it. No wifi was a problem last year, but I think they now have it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy