Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A Yank looking for information - about Wengen

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

I am planning on going to Wengen (first time in the Alps in many, many years) for 2 weeks starting in late Feb to Mid march, and have a couple of questions.

I tried to avoid the mid term holidays but still desire dependable snow cover, is this timeframe to late in the season?

Airfare to Zurich is cheap (relatively) right now and everything I have read says Wengen is great resort especially since my girlfriend is essentially a beginner. Would many agree? Outside of skiing would it get boring? (Her question not mine rolling eyes ) We are a middle age couple.

Last question, I plan on taking my own gear (2 pair of skis) and was wondering how difficult would it be dragging a "sport tube" (a rigid case with wheels) on the train from Zurich to Wengen?

Lastly Thanks to one of your own; Wear the Fox Hat, for recommending your forum.

Thanks in advance,

Doug
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mrhazmat wrote:
....I am planning on going to Wengen (first time in the Alps in many, many years) for 2 weeks starting in late Feb to Mid march, and have a couple of questions.

I tried to avoid the mid term holidays but still desire dependable snow cover, is this timeframe to late in the season?

Given any reasonable luck no. I shall be there myself mid-March.

Quote:
Airfare to Zurich is cheap (relatively) right now and everything I have read says Wengen is great resort especially since my girlfriend is essentially a beginner. Would many agree?

Yes.

Quote:
Outside of skiing would it get boring? (Her question not mine rolling eyes ) We are a middle age couple.

I don't think so - it is not a wild town, but there are very pleasant restaurants and bars, and one of the best jazz pianists (least I hope he will still be there) at the Falken - where the bar is very much open to non-residents.

Quote:
I plan on taking my own gear (2 pair of skis) and was wondering how difficult would it be dragging a "sport tube" (a rigid case with wheels) on the train from Zurich to Wengen?

Not difficult at all.

Quote:
Lastly Thanks to one of your own; Wear the Fox Hat, for recommending your forum.

Tell him it's high time he was back here again.

Oh - and welcome to the forum. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mrhazmat, welcome to snowHeads! There are several experts on Wengen here (not me, though I have been a couple of times and do love it) and I hope they'll be along to answer your question. It could be an idea to include 'Wengen' in your thread title - that could attract said experts.

To answer your questions to the best of my own very limited ability:-

1) There can be lots of snow in Wengen late February/mid-March, but it's not snow-sure.
2) There is some beautiful easy skiing to be had - I was no great shakes when I went and still enjoyed myself.
3) The fact that Wengen is in the middle of the Jungfrau region makes it easier to explore the whole area. I went with a non-skier who absolutely loved it: he did loads of walking, and went for miles on the splendid trains that go everywhere. And, best of all, most of the lovely mountain restaurants are accessible by non-skiers, so the walkers and the skiers can meet up for lunch.
4) Swiss trains have lots of space dedicated to luggage and ski equipment, so it shouldn't be a problem taking a sport tube.

Have fun, I'm sure you'll both love it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If it helps here are some shots in a rather poor year mid March - picture 15 onwards. Not bad. Mind you, there was a foggy day when we went for a walk into the Lauterbrunen valley where there was no snow - see the opening shots in the album. Madeye-Smiley But there was plenty of snow in Wengen, and it was better still last year (again mid March). Unfortunately no shots of the 2007 visit, when we had amazing powder.

PS I'd go along with Hurtle's suggestion to put 'Wengen' in the title.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi mrhazmat, Ok easy questions first

Luggage on swiss trains, even ski tubes not a problem, but you will have several train changes, expect to change at either Luzern or Bern, going via Bern is usually a shorter Journey (3hrs total instead of 4) But the Luzern route is probably more scenic. You will also have to change at Interlaken Ost and at Lauterbrunnen, these last two are because the track size changes, At Interlaken Ost make sure you get onto the front of the train going towards Lauterbrunnen (Sector A) as this train usually splits at Zweilutscinen with the rear half going on to Grindelwald, At lauterbrunnen if you face towards the front of the train from Interlaken you want to be getting out on the left side of the train to walk across teh platform for one of teh trains to Wengen, depending on what time you arrive in Lauterbrunnen there may be only one train going up or typically during the day up to 3, all stop at Wengen so just get on the least crowded one.

Snow isn't certain at the end of Feb till mid March but in recent years it has been pretty good, as always a prayer to the snow gods cannot go amiss.

Entertainment wise Wengen is a quiet resort in general, however as Achilles mentioned the Falken often has a very good pianist and the bar there is actually one of the cheaper ones, theres a couple more bars in the main street, a small cinema (assuming they've managed to keep open) and a few small nightclubs (more popular with the resort workers than most of the tourists), sometimes the ski school do a snow show on the nursery slope on one evening during the week which can be fun to watch, in addition the tourist office posts a list of other entertainments on during the week, some are free others may have a small charge, for instance if you wanted a day off from skiing you could go snow shoe walking, the ski pass will also take you down the mountain as far as Interlaken Ost station so if you wanted to check out the local shops at some point thats as good a place as any to do so.

I'd say Wengen is ideal for Intermediate level skiers and quite nice for beginners, I learnt to ski there when I was just a few years old and never had any problems, there are just 3 different colours to the runs there, Blue for easy, Red for intermediate and Black for hard, There are not many Black runs in the area. The blues tend to be long gentle runs but not on very wide pistes, however many of the red runs are very easy going.

Hopefully if I can just save up the cash I'll be out there in March as well but probably not till mid march so will probably miss you.

Any more questions please just ask
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mrhazmat, as you will gather, D G Orf is definitely one of the experts! Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome to snowHeads mrhazmat! I think that I can only echo what all the above have said.

Your time-frame is probably one of the better ones possible, but as all have mentioned, Wengen isn't the most snowsure, so anything could happen (it should be fine though).

I'm sure you'll love Wengen, it's very chocolate boxy and there is some really good, cruisers and wonderful scenery.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The cog railway which takes you up to (traffic free) Wengen carries on up to the pass over to Grindelwald, then up through the famous Eiger mountain (you can look out through a window in the middle of the North face), then on up even further to a high glacier! Lots of Japanese do this trip at every time of year.

Not many tough runs if that matters to you, but a lovely scenic place. Have fun.

Consider going across the valley on the cog railway to ski at Murren for a day.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 19-09-09 12:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mrhazmat, Regarding transporting luggage from Zurich airport to Wengen you might be interested in the fly-luggage service offered by Swiss rail. For more information see:-

http://www.swisspasses.com/swiss-fly-luggage/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks one and all! You have made a newbie feel very welcome. The information you have provided has made planning this trip easier.

Mr DG Orf this kind of input is invaluable. Travel packages would lead one to believe after arrival at the airport just hop on the train and you are there.

Rich.ll great site! I am going to take advantage of their service.

Question about lift tickets? They are not included in my package and was wondering are there package deals at reduced cost or can you buy day to day for the same price?

Thanks again,
Doug

P.S. I can not figure our to add Wengen to Title which was an obvious oversight on my part. Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mrhazmat,
Quote:
P.S. I can not figure our to add Wengen to Title which was an obvious oversight on my part.
I've done it for you.

Lift passes for the area get cheaper the more days you buy, last season a two day pass for the whole area (you can't buy a pass for the whole area for one day mainly because you wouldn't get much skiing done if you tried to cover the whole area in a day) cost 123 ChF for an adult, whilst a 7 day pass for the same area cost 326 ChF and a 14 day pass 487 ChF.

You can buy the passes the evening before you start skiing from the railway station, or if you are staying at a hotel they can probably pick them up for you. If you are staying for two weeks it's well worth getting teh whole area pass so that you can take a day over at Murren and maybe over at Grindelwald, it also covers you down to Interlaken.

Oh as a Yank in Switzerland you should be aware that the service charge is almost always included in the bill in hotels and restaurants, however if you believe you've had good service say at a mountain restaurant it is common to give a small tip not more than 10% of the total bill is standard. At hotels if you feel you've had good service at the end of your stay it is common to leave a gratuity at teh reception desk where it will get split amongst the staff, unless you want to single out a particular person when you should just tip them.

Where in Wengen will you be staying ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wtf is all this not snow sure shite? Puzzled January isnt snow sure, rock hard cannon snow pistes for sure, that's the only month.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
D G Orf, To give 10% when service is on the bill seems extremely high - that's the normal European tip for passable service when service is NOT on the bill! I haven't been in Switzerland lately, but in France you just round up the bill a bit if the service was good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, I said a max of 10% that's if service is exceptional, more normally for lunch I might add a Franc or two at most wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mrhazmat wrote:
Thanks one and all! You have made a newbie feel very welcome. The information you have provided has made planning this trip easier.

Mr DG Orf this kind of input is invaluable. Travel packages would lead one to believe after arrival at the airport just hop on the train and you are there.......

DG Orf has given correct advice - his advice on Wengen is probably as good as it gets. That said, the various changes are not too much of a hassle, because the trains run so reliably. You may want to look at Swiss Rail transfer tickets - as they are very convenient, and are often (and I think it will be so for your journey, but check) cheaper than buying the tickets in other ways.

BTW, in Europe there is little if any discounting of lift tickets by buying them through various outlets. I am very happy to say there are lower prices for those of (ahem) a certain age.
snow conditions
achilles,
Quote:

You may want to look at Swiss Rail transfer tickets - as they are very convenient, and are often (and I think it will be so for your journey, but check) cheaper than buying the tickets in other ways.

True but I expect mrhazmat, will have them or something similar included in his package price
snow report
D G Orf, I wasn't sure - but anyway, this thread is becoming a very hand guide on getting to Wengen. Very Happy
snow report
American specific information:

1) Due to the higher shipping cost to North America, the Swiss Transfer Ticket offers no significant saving over the regular ticket to Wengen.

2) Flights from and to US can't use Fly-Rail due to special security requirements.

3) The next best thing about luggage is the Swiss Railway's luggage service (I forgot the name, something like "Fast Luggage"). Just drop the luggage off at the rail station at airport, it'll be at Wengen station the next day. Some hotel will collect it for you also. You do lose 1 day use of your ski on either end. Consequently, I've only used it once (at the homeward journey).

4) Allow an extra hour for airport security check at Zurich for US bound flights.
latest report
Check out thread

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=433
latest report
Wengen is low.

Ski area is tiny.

Snow on the bottom half of the mountain is unreliable.

You will ski out everything in a few days.

Try somewhere higher and bigger.

Go to Lech, in West Austria.
snow report
mrhazmat, take no notice of Whitegold, his speciality is in spouting nonsense, even to new forum members. Your own research will, for example, have shown you that the Jungfrau region - of which Wengen is but a part - is huge.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Wengen is low.

True.

Quote:
Ski area is tiny.

Untrue.

Quote:
Snow on the bottom half of the mountain is unreliable.

True.

Quote:
You will ski out everything in a few days.

Untrue.

Quote:
Go to Lech, in West Austria.

Certainly a place to visit in one's skiing career; as is Wengen.
ski holidays
I feel I should point out that a number of people don't like the Jungfrau Railway system, they consider it slow and hate sitting on a train in the morning, whilst they do have a valid point with regards to its speed it does give one big advantage, there are lots of long pistes in the area, something less common with only lift served runs
ski holidays
As far as swiss trains go, they make travelling by train as easy as it can get...IME
The trains are timed to dove-tail with other services and they run to time... This is a concept alien to most UK train travellers so it counts for A LOT
snow report
D G Orf, and JT, agreed. regulars to Wengen latch on to timing their appearance at the bottom of runs with train departures up the hill. Simples.
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
a number of people don't like the Jungfrau Railway system, they consider it slow and hate sitting on a train in the morning,
Well you do have the choice of starting the day on the Manlichen cable car.
snow report
snowball, Indeed, however i did feel I should point this out as by far and the most complaints I've heard about the slow trains came from Yanks wink
snow report
I didn't like the trains at first, but by the end of the season I thought they were brilliant. They were much warmer, less cramped and if timed well faster than a gondola (from the Grindelwald side anyway). I also think that a lot of people (especially beginners) like the trains as it allows them to have a well earned rest between runs. The trains also allow people who don't ski an enjoyable way of meeting the skiers in their party for lunch at the top of the mountain.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello Again,

Well it looks as though our trip is a done deal. Leaving for Wengen late Feb returning 2 weeks later (actually only 13 nights in Wengen, lose 1 night travelling, I guess).

Will be staying at Hotel Sunstar (any thoughts on this hotel?) Seems to have nice accomodations with pool, sauna etc. Would welcome commentary from any in the know. Mr DG Orf??? Meal plan is breakfast only which leaves us free to choose our evening meal wherever.
Any pros or cons on this decision?

Rail tickets are included from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen but I will be on the hook for the portion from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen. I am told this is a 14 minute train ride and that I can purchase this ticket at a 50% discount at the train station. Again, I have a couple of questions about this; 1. Buy this additional ticket in Zurich or Lauterbrunnen. 2. How frequently does this train travel to Wengen? Just concerned about connections.

So, if the snow conditions cooperate (any forecasts for this winter?) we are on for a great time.

Regards,
Doug
latest report
Trains every 20 to 30 mins depending on the time of day from Lauterbrunnen, get it at Lauterbrunnen, you should have enough time there usually, note that at Lauterbrunnen you walk across the train tracks to go between platforms, just be aware of the trains.

Sunstar a nice hotel (part of the sunstar chain) pros of meals out is that you can pick and choose where to go each night depending on what you feel like, several good places to eat in Wengen, some not imediately obvious, disadvantage is that your evening meals will work out more expensive than a half board arrangement with the hotel.
latest report
mrhazmat, The Sunstar is a very good hotel situated centrally on the main street of Wengen, and just yards from the Manlichen cable car (aerial tram in US parlance).
The ticket from Lauterbrunnen upto Wengen is only a small amount (a few swiss francs). The trains to Wengen leave very frequently, I don't think you'll need to wait longer than 10 to 15mins for the next one once you arrive at Lauterbrunnen (Edit: I'll defer to D G Orf's better Wengen knowledge regarding the train times Toofy Grin )

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 29-09-09 21:54; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
mrhazmat wrote:
Hello Again,

Well it looks as though our trip is a done deal. Leaving for Wengen late Feb returning 2 weeks later (actually only 13 nights in Wengen, lose 1 night travelling, I guess).

Will be staying at Hotel Sunstar (any thoughts on this hotel?) Seems to have nice accomodations with pool, sauna etc. Would welcome commentary from any in the know. Mr DG Orf??? Meal plan is breakfast only which leaves us free to choose our evening meal wherever.
Any pros or cons on this decision?

Rail tickets are included from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen but I will be on the hook for the portion from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen. I am told this is a 14 minute train ride and that I can purchase this ticket at a 50% discount at the train station. Again, I have a couple of questions about this; 1. Buy this additional ticket in Zurich or Lauterbrunnen. 2. How frequently does this train travel to Wengen? Just concerned about connections.

So, if the snow conditions cooperate (any forecasts for this winter?) we are on for a great time.

Regards,
Doug

Trains from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen run about 2 times per hour. Open until about midnight. Great scenery at bottom and top of the mountains.

It will be a warm Winter, due to El Nino.
snow conditions
mrhazmat, you will find eating out very exspensive compared with eating half board. The food in the Sunstar is of a good standard.
snow report
Whitegold, you are truly a miserable git.
snow report
Thanks again for all the kind responses, but again I have another question.

I checked with the travel agency about half board at the Sunstar Hotel and it is available for around 27 Euro or 40 CHF per person/day. Am I given to understand that it would be difficult to eat out for less than this.

Looking at Wengen websites I noticed a pizzeria, grocery stores, and the like are readily available and was wondering if this option made any sense.

We are not necessarily big eaters but do not want to be spending another small fortune for every evening meal either.

Again, I welcome all responses.

Doug
snow report
mrhazmat, I've not eaten at the Sunstar myself, but their website here indicates that the evening meal offers selections from a four course menu ( I guess this would be soup or other starter, salad buffet, main course and dessert). I don't think you could eat out for a comparable meal for 40CHF.
As records grocery stores, sure there is a well stocked Co-Op supermarket, but staying in the hotel you won't have cooking facilities.
ski holidays
mrhazmat, well worth paying the 40CHF per night extra for half board, it does mean you will need less at lunchtime as well, if you do decide that occasionally you want to eat an evening meal outside of the hotel most will give you a reduction off the bill so long as you tell them in the morning that you don't want to eat in that evening
latest report
mrhazmat, Unless you are self catering which you are not if you are staying at the Sunstar then half board is the best option for Wengen. You might save a little if you ate pizza every night but who wants to do that every night.
snow conditions
mrhazmat, Sunstar food is fine. Take the half board option and enjoy your trip!
snow conditions
Hello Again,

First off, thanks to everyone for their input and advice. Since our trip to Wengen is now a done deal, if any Snowheads are in the area the first 2 weeks of March the first pint is on me. More to follow.

We are staying at the Sunstar and was wondering what the typical method of storing skis, boots etc. is? Generally, do hotels have these type of facilities or do you tromp up to your room with boots on and skis in hand?

In the US, most lodges have locker rooms and accomodations for changing from normal footwear to ski boots, ski clothing etc. and in some cases can rent lockers for the duration of your stay to store all your equipment which prevents you from having to schlep your equipment around. I was curious what is the most common practice in Europe or more specifically in Wengen?

I really need the ski season to start here in the Northeast USA so my time will be spent skiing vice hanging out on internet ski forums Cool Cool

Regards,
Doug
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy