Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Not a bad deal

Poster: A snowHead
Just trawling the sites for a good deal for March 2010 and found one for the Hotel Somriu Comapedrosa in Andorra, Arinsal, 3 star, Half board for 7 days for 2 Adults and a 2 year old, 500 quid in total, for everyone, including flights, not bad eh?

543 for the same is Pas de la Casa...........all bargains eh?

What do you think of skiing in Andorra?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wow, that is a staggering price.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CONDOR, that's an amazing price. Does it include transfers?

Arinsal (and Pal, it's neighbouring resort) are quite limited, or it was when I was there last, about 5 years ago. Access is inconvenient from Arinsal, you have to get a bubble up from the village to get to anything. When you are there, it's quite a small area. Pal is more extensive but they installed a new lift from the town in the valley (name escapes me) so unless they also extended the area it might get rather crowded. All skiing was very early-intermediate in standard. I haven't skied in Pas de la Casa but would still spend the extra to go there.

Final note of no great consequence - the Spanish skiers were amongst the worst I have ever seen (in terms of ability and manners) and the clothes were like a big 80s fancy dress party - all day-glo one-piece suits etc. Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andyph wrote:
a new lift from the town in the valley (name escapes me)

La Massana - when we went, the Gondola up to Pal slopes was virtually empty whereas the bus from Pal to slopes was (apparently) always crowded.

Had excellent tuition here and in El Tarter so would recommend Andorra from that pov. Smile
Andorra doesn't seem to be the bargain that it used to be (though that deal does certainly look that)

We found that the mountain food in Pal pretty poor (all fast food and very greasy) Sad .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's a very good price - who's it with, if you don;t mind sharing?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The transfer were only an additional 59 quid but I forgot to include that, it does say that the hotel is only 200m or so from ski lifts up to the slops, I think that they have added new lifts in by the sounds of it as they talk of gondolas and all sorts from the town up the hill now and given that the hotel is in the heart of the town it might be ok......

So Pas first then Arinsal second?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CONDOR, great deal, well sniffed out! Is it 59 quid extra in total for all 3 of you for return transfers, or 59 each person, or each way?

My tuppence worth re your choice between Arinsal and Pas de la Casa is that it depends on your (+ partner's) ski/board ability level and on what you intend to do re childcare?
Arinsal village and ski area is compact and relatively family friendly, and the Comapedrosa is a pleasant small hotel which is just a short easy stroll from the main access gondola. Although there's no real amenities in the village for very young children, there's a good resort-run creche located at the main base lodge area at the top of the gondola (free lift pass for 2 yr old). And, it's not far by local bus to the capital, Andorra la Vella, which is good for shopping and has a handful of kids playgrounds.
Pas de la Casa has a much more extensive ski area (linked with Soldeu), but the town is ugly and much bigger/brasher than Arinsal, and a lot more raucous apres-ski wise. It has a resort-run creche located next to the beginners zone, about 10-15 minutes (uphill) walk from the town centre.
The transfer to PDLC is about 1 hour shorter than that to Arinsal from Toulouse; from Barcelona, the transfer to Arinsal is about 45 mins shorter. Either way it's about 3 hours at best, which might be a challenge with a 2 yr old!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wow great info, thankyou
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's better for a skiing week Grandvalira, without any doubt.

Pal/Arinsal, is very limited and small, and in my opinion Arinsal have absolutely boring slopes. You have another ski resort incuded in the Vallnord lift pass, which is Arcalís. In my opinion by far with the best terrain and snow of the region; but is small for 1 week, for a comercial or week skier (worth for 1-2 days trip).

You could consider to get the Skiandorra lift pass that brings to you acces to all andorran resorts during you ski week.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CONDOR Pal and Arinsal are indeed a bit limited. Arcalis is excellent. We stayed a week in Soldeu and skied all the Andorra resorts via hire car. It might be worth you hiring a car when you get there for a change of scene.
Quote:

You could consider to get the Skiandorra lift pass that brings to you acces to all andorran resorts during you ski week.

I had read about this in a guidebook - so asked about it at the ticket office in Soldeu a couple of seasons ago. They looked completely puzzled - said they'd never heard of it. So we were left but with no choice but to buy individual tickets for our road trip, which covered Grand Valira, Arinsal, Pal and Arcalis - plus nearby Porte de Puymorens in France and La Massana/Masella in Spain on the way back to Barcelona airport. Great skiing, great trip:D.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Commercial policy this past season in Andorra was simply AWFUL.
http://www.skiandorra.ad/2006/ing/index.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
metalhead132 wrote:
The Commercial policy this past season in Andorra was simply AWFUL.
http://www.skiandorra.ad/2006/ing/index.html

If you mean the rule about 'Non-Consecutive Days', I think that's just that their translation from Catalan to English is a bit lacking: i.e. the previous version of the Ski Andorra Pass restricted its use to 5 consecutive days (Mon-Fri) for one specified week, the current one doesn't; it now allows you to ski on ANY 5 days during the season, either consecutive OR non-consecutive, which means you can use it to ski at all the Andorran resorts in just one week if you wish.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow Beard wrote:
it now allows you to ski on ANY 5 days during the season, either consecutive OR non-consecutive, which means you can use it to ski at all the Andorran resorts in just one week if you wish.

Exactly.

But I mean the campaign involving whole Andorra, they came to the market without a real product about Andorra. They didn't report it to their workers, to the travel agencies, etc.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In that case, I agree. It's a good deal, but they are a bit rubbish when it comes to promoting it; and the 2 big ski areas are insular in their own marketing. Maybe things will improve when the new road tunnels between Encamp and La Massana open, then the access lifts for Grandvalira and Vallnord will only be 10-15 minutes drive apart and more visitors will be made aware that they can ski both areas during a one week trip.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CONDOR, did you grab any of those deals? It would be interesting to hear where you decide to go and why.
snow report
Snow Beard wrote:
In that case, I agree. It's a good deal, but they are a bit rubbish when it comes to promoting it; and the 2 big ski areas are insular in their own marketing. Maybe things will improve when the new road tunnels between Encamp and La Massana open, then the access lifts for Grandvalira and Vallnord will only be 10-15 minutes drive apart and more visitors will be made aware that they can ski both areas during a one week trip.

Maybe, it will be interesting how they improve their maketing policies, to increase british visitors again. The new tunnel, will help in this task, but I think the best option (And now I write as weekly user) should consist in improve the quality, accesibility and size of the ski domains (in the Vallnord side).
For example Arcalís will be a world class domain if they were extending towards Solcem's valley (in the French side; with 800-900m of vertical, and lot's of terrain), and the immediately southern valley.

SORRY FOR THE OFFTOPIC Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
I've no idea whats going on and am a tad confused Very Happy
latest report
Hi Condor

Both deals sound really good value. I've worked in Andorra for the past four winters and run a series of websites about all the main resorts. For a family trip I would recommend Arinsal as the whole resort is more suitable for families. If you are both advanced intermediate skiiers then I would consider going for the Pas de la Casa option.

Although people often slate the variety of slopes in Arinsal, they offer enough to keep you occupied for a couple of days during your stay. Then you have the cable car taking you from the top of Arinsal over in to Pal, which is excellent. Pal gives you a great variety from steep mogul runs to wide sweeping blues. Included in the lift pass is Arcalis, and there is a free bus to take you there. At all three areas there is a creche, so it just depends what you want to do with your little one!

Would be interested to know which option you go for.

Hope it works out.

Steve
ski holidays
Steve that's fab thankyou, do you possibly have any details of any of the creches please?

Thanks for the help
snow report
Have a look at www.arinsal.co.uk/winter/en/children.html for details of the creche in Arinsal. It's located just at the top of the gondola, and you can book from an hour up to a whole week, although I believe you need to take them home with you at the end of the day Laughing

I don't have contact details for the creches in Pal or Arcalis, but they are at the base stations of each resort, and have the same price structure as in Arinsal.

As for Pas, the creche is in the town but by the slopes, and their phone number is +376 871 920.
snow conditions
How do you know so much, thats fab, you seem like a nice chap and thanks for all the help.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy