Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier - where are the really easy runs?

Poster: A snowHead
Just planning a long weekend break for a group of adults.

A couple of them are very nervous low end intermediates - just very, very easy blues are the order of the day. A couple of others want to try the steeper stuff and I know where some of that is.

Is there much for the "just above beginner" to do - or should I take them to Morzine?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mosha Marc, Savoleyres for some beatiful tree-lined blues.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Best bets are on the La Tzoumaz side of the Savoleyres gondola. Long sweeping blues, quieter than the medran /ruinettes slopes, and better snow as its north facing. Nice restaurant Chez Simon, on the way down. Then, lower down take the forest runs which are beautiful and relatively flat, perfect for nervous intermeds. I taught some complete beginners there last year, after a day on the nursery slopes they loved it there. Then, you can go to la chaux, then lac de vaux, nice and easy and friendy slopes there, then take the cable car down to Tortin, and from there is a nice blue run to Siviez.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mosha Marc, I agree with Hurtle, Savoleyres will fit the bill well. Bruson might be good for a day's excursion to add variety.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chez Simon.....mnnnn!
Have the Croute Champignins (basically the best mushrooms on toast ever) and the Tarte au Pommes (best I've ever had).

Skiing for semi beginners?
Wrong resort really.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc, surprised you asked this.... you must have been there a few times... ?? at least to know the lay-out

I agree with rungsp, I don't recall it being friendly if timid... but a 5 plus weeker with a bit of gung-ho is a different matter
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gra wrote:
Best bets are on the La Tzoumaz side of the Savoleyres gondola. Long sweeping blues, quieter than the medran /ruinettes slopes, and better snow as its north facing. Nice restaurant Chez Simon, on the way down. Then, lower down take the forest runs which are beautiful and relatively flat, perfect for nervous intermeds. I taught some complete beginners there last year, after a day on the nursery slopes they loved it there. Then, you can go to la chaux, then lac de vaux, nice and easy and friendy slopes there, then take the cable car down to Tortin, and from there is a nice blue run to Siviez.

This is ALL you need to know.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Savoleyres and Siviez, definitely.

Although like Zermatt it's one of those resorts whose "oooooh, it's really not that great for beginners" reputation is rather over-egged.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulio, I think the reputation of Zermatt not being great for beginners is more because the nursery slopes are quite a way up the mountain and not time wise easy to get to. I love Zermatt but do find it a bit of a bummer in so far as it can take a long time to put the skis on!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, I've been there for 18 days in total now, in that time I've been over the La Tzoumaz/Savoleyres sector three times. Two of those were just to get out of the bottom of Vallon D'Arby and on the other occation we were there about an hour tops.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc wrote:
JT, I've been there for 18 days in total now, in that time I've been over the La Tzoumaz/Savoleyres sector three times. Two of those were just to get out of the bottom of Vallon D'Arby and on the other occation we were there about an hour tops.

Hahaha, you should start skiing with better skiers. There is some fun terrain there, if you know where to look... Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If Savoleyres is the (non main) area where you drop off over the back of the mountain with a big 'between piste' rolling bowl type area ? if so then gra, and Hurtle, are right on the money. I took a 'three day experienced' boarder over there and he loved it - wide blues and a few reds that undulated and twisted a bit. Great fun except for a little path along the cliff from the gondola to access the pistes - he struggled a bit with the rocks one side and the drop the other Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor, NehNeh I bet your gaff doesn't do Thurs-Sun weekends though, if it did you could put me straight Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's a noce interactive piste map for verbier. I was in their shoes a couple of seasons back and a good confidence builder is La chaux blue run. From Medran you tale la chaux express and you're there. It has a couple of short steepish parts but other than that it's good for confidence building. Next stage would be Lac des vaux. It's now shown as red in the map but it used to be a hard blue the last 2 seasons.

This claim about verbier not good for beginner is rubbish. As a beginner by definition you don't need hundreds of miles of runs. You need to build confidence a couple of days in easy runs so 2 or 3 of these is sufficient then you move on to harder blues/ easy reds.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think I'll print this out and stick it under their noses, it'll help with their fears.

I don't suppose any one has the name of a particular instructor (not a school) who's good with this type, likes to stop for coffee etc?
latest report
there's an instructor in ecole suisse de ski called sasha. not sure what his last name is. You call ESS and tell them he's swiss italian. He's very good and patient with beginners
snow conditions
Mosha Marc,
Just a thought but if it is the skiing you are after rather than the night life. Nendaz has some great easy skiing and access via Siviez to the Mont Fort area is better than from Verbier.
ski holidays
T Bar, knowing the women going the priorities are; smart hotel, nice bars, good restaurants, fancy shops, lunch, fit instructor and skiing.

In that order. rolling eyes
latest report
here:

(someone had to)
snow report
Mosha Marc,
I think you're right with Verbier then, but genuinely very very easy blues as opposed to standard blues is not really a Verbier speciality from my memory. IMHO the Siviez run fits the description but it is a few lifts from Verbier.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, send a PM to skidog here, he is an instructor based in Verbier who I am sure will be happy to take a booking, and will be happy to stop as often as you like, show you the best spots for vin-chaud and treats etc if that is the preferred option.
Of course he is not restricted to that and go can harder/longer if you prefer.

He is your man, knows the place like the back of his hand.
ski holidays
Arno,<chortle>. They're going to love that on the printout Laughing
snow conditions
Arno, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Laughing Laughing Laughing Classic!

Question; Would you suggest the blue down the North face or the blue down Poubelle? Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
Savoleyres and Siviez, definitely.

Although like Zermatt it's one of those resorts whose "oooooh, it's really not that great for beginners" reputation is rather over-egged.

Agreed. It was where I went for my very first ski trip.

And by the end of the week, I was getting down most of the reds and all the blues in the main Verbier area and the Savoleyres area..
ski holidays
Arno - nice pic.
However the real gnar line in that photo is actually called B-52 wink
Basically the rocky face exactly between poubelle chute & north face.
Not uncommon to see tracks in there either, mainly by scandi extremos.

Verbier has plenty of accesible and easy skiing - though you do need to read the piste map and work out how to get there and back.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 18-09-09 7:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Haggis_Trap, my photo. I know you know but just to be clear, North Face is not in this pic but on the otherside, if the arrow did carry down we would infact have B52.

Mosha Marc, Sunday to Sunday. Thursday to Sunday is a potential - you do know you could stay with Peak Ski for the three weeks for the same price though huh? PM me if interested...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy