Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Touring advice cons to Feb trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I know the most popular touring times are late March/April due to consolidated snow base as well as lighter mornings and slightly hotter but what are the downsides to Feb? We are looking to go 20th - 27th Feb.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
None.

Other than: not all the huts maybe open, avalanche risk is probably higher.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
parlor, And the pros? Huts and avalanche are not concerns as with very experienced guide with 40+ years Swiss guiding.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quieter - I like seeing less people when I'm out touring. Less people in the dorms - in fact less people will have slept on the same bedding as you = huge pro Wink

More chance of powder! Likewise, I didn't list as a 'con', between snowfalls as it's (averagely) colder some descents won't soften up at all so might not give brilliant skiing. Having said that I'm sure your guide will adjust your route accordingly...

Just do it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
plectrum, not much to add to what has been written already. huts may be the most limiting factor. might make a hut to hut tour challenging unless you go for winter rooms. weather might not be so reliable but if you have a good guide and are happy to be flexible it should be pretty cool

where are you planning to go?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
plectrum wrote:
parlor, And the pros? Huts and avalanche are not concerns as with very experienced guide with 40+ years Swiss guiding.

Avalanche risk should always be a concern. Guides can help keep you out of trouble but whatever their age / experience they can't gurantee it. Day tours are great in Feb as the alternative is packed pistes and very quickly tracked out sidecountry powder.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno,

We are starting from St Moritz with a day on piste 20th, 21st off piste and then 4 days hut to hut from 22nd to 25th. The itinerary is currently being planned, we are 5 maybe 6. 6 is optimum group size for finances but guide would be willing to take up to 8 as long as all would move at similar pace. I am not sure whether we will circle to end up abck in St Moritz or just train it back to St Moritz as after we will resort ski for the rest of the week with other friends i.e. boarders etc!

If you would be interested also to come send me a pm.

Richard
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, Avalanches are not my direct concern (as I have limited high mountain experience), they will be my guides and we will follow his instructions. I understand your point though and of course whenever skiing off-piste avalanche awareness is paramount as well as having correct equipment to aid in recovery.

Saying this I have just bought a great book on avalanches and will begin to read to learn more between now and the winter season.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
plectrum, have other plans that week. did some touring in that area this may. loads to do and the lifts and trains give you loads of options
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, cool, gonna be great
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
one tip - if the guide suggests using the winter room in the Marco e Rosa hut bring a *lot* of warm clothing and a decent stove
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, I would guess we will stay in Switz but unsure.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy