Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many ski resorts can be skied in a single day?

Poster: A snowHead
This is essentially a trivia question as it's a somewhat trivial pursuit! (little point in spending time on the road - or lengthy lift connections - just to say hello to Oberstrudl and its bunny slope) but five skiers in Utah the other day managed to ski 11 resorts in a day...which, for America, is no mean achievement.

This dash involved one cablecar ride (Snowbird, presumably), two gondolas, one six-seater chair, three quads, one triple, and four double chairs to make 12 runs at the 11 areas.They skied (it says here) 19,226 vertical feet, and covered 220 miles while driving between resorts. The amount of time needed to drive, ride the lifts, ski down, load and unload equipment, and drive to all 11 resorts was nine hours, 41 minutes.

Hopefully they enjoyed at least one beer at the end of all that!

In Europe I daresay it's possible to ski about 20 resorts in a day if you do some frenzied circuit in the Dolomites or Paradiski - Les Arcs, La Plagne and all their constituent resorts and satellite resorts. Come to think of it, how many resorts are there in Paradiski, in total?

Anyone like to work out a winning itinerary for there or the Sella Ronda (Dolomites)? Maybe the real thing could become a snowHeads challenge!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I managed 29 different mountains in 2 days last year. That was over 70,000 feet of vertical, or 100 miles of slope.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
david, you could ski 12 resorts in the Portes de Soliel in one day fairly easily. I know because I've done it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And if you're looking for the challenge, do the 12 in the PDS with checkpoints at Cheri Nord, the bottom of the Champery cable car and the run overlooking lake Geneva in Torgon...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are 12 resorts in the Tahoe area - but I'd hate to think what it would cost for lift tickets!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just don't go to Tignes or the day could be spent on finding a place to park.

The American resorts do not publish the piste length and the 220 miles appear to be just the driving distance.

Technically if one ski all the resorts in 3 Vallees then there are some 11 of them and no driving is needed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
saikee, The longest run at Squaw Valley USA is the Mountain Run at 3.2 miles - it's published on the web site! snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What's your definition of 'resort' here?

Any area with an individually named and geographically distinct town/village community associated with it?

A bounded ski area that has it's own ski pass? (so for example by that definition all of 'Meribel' would be just one resort. Ditto the various bits of Courchevel)

both of those criteria?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
david murdoch, you've obviousy done it as well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pollittcl,

La Thuile's No. 7 run San Bernado is 11km or 6.875 miles long. To me it is an attraction of La Rosiere/La Thuile.

My reference to N American resorts is that their description of the size of a resort is the skiable or patrolled area. In Europe we always specify the total length of the piste runs. Thus we can never compare the two. However if Whistler-Blackcomb is the biggest in N America then it is just comparable in size to Tignes/Val D'Isere I think.

The 19,226 vertical feet in David's post is less than 6km which can be surpassed by skiing down from Aiguille Rouge to Villaroger 3 times within Les Arcs. That run has a 2.026km or 6647 ft drop.

johnnyrotten,

The resort in my definition is an individual place that you can book for your ski holiday to stay there.

European resorts are so well linked that we don't normally separate them much.

In Paradiski I could count 17 to 18

Villaroger, Arc 1950, Arc 2000, Arc 1600, Arc 1800, Vallandry, Plan Peisey, Montchavin, Les Coches, Plagne Bellecote, Belle Plagne 2050, Plagne 1800, Plagne centre 1970, Plagne villages 2050, Aime La Plagne 2100, Plagne Soleil 2050, Plagne Montalbert 1350 and Champagny.

If Paradiski is just one resort then I wonder how many skiers can cover all of them in one day. The 11 resorts in 3 Vallees also represent a major challenge to most skiers I would have thought.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

If Paradiski is just one resort then I wonder how many skiers can cover all of them in one day. The 11 resorts in 3 Vallees also represent a major challenge to most skiers I would have thought.

makes me wonder if im gonna get bored on my upcoming week in la Plagne with my Dad (and that wont even include going to Les Arcs!) Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tomski01,

I would have thought it would take a really good and fast skier to go round La Plagne in a day. I would be very contented to cover it in two days in a rush and need at least 3 days if I want to enjoy the runs. The section behind Roche De Mio to Champagny will take some doing as one have to get back too.

One can always upgrade the La Plagnes ski pass on any day to ski Les Arcs too.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tomski01, You won't get bored in La Plagne for a week. The area is massive with a fair bit of variety and it's hard to cover it all in a week. The link the Les Arcs in my mind probably makes the are too big!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David@traxvax, depends on definition of resort! I haven't ever got over to Torgon (as invariably it's a powder day when we try and get sidetracked - literally). My max there is 10 and I haven't yet found it necessary to bus to Chapelle or Abondance just to score them off. Now if they ever put in the link between St Jean D'aulps and Cheri Nord, I may find myself adding an 11th.

So I offer you deep respect for notching them all up. Please tell me it wasn't in high season? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David@traxvax, are all 12 covered by a general 'Portes' lift pass or are seperate passes required ?
snow report
meski, all covered on the Portes de Soliel ski pass.
David, it's well worth the trip to Torgon, there's some of the best skiing in the area in Barbessonne and Torgon is always quiet, no wasn't in high season but it ws an exceptional snow year, about the only one in 20 odd years of visiting Chatel.
ski holidays
I wouldn't be breaking the record, even if I could. Seems a bit pointless to me!
ski holidays
It is feat to cover the whole of PDS in a day. On paper it has 650km of piste and beats the 3 Vallees' 600Km hand down.

It tells us the skiing and driving standard of David@traxvax.

The PDS area is fragmented and many links are only by bus. However you do jumping between the two countries.

Europe has a few resorts that you can ski two countries.

Wonder if anybody can complete the list

(1) La Rosiere/La Thuile (France with Italy)
(2) Porte Du Soleil (mainly Avoriaz/Les Crosets/Champery, Chatel/Torgon/Morgins) (France with Switzerland)
(3) Zermat/Cervinia (Switzerland with Italy)

Edited Addtions from suggestion received

(4) Ishgl/Samnaun (Austria with Switzerland)
(5) Chamonix/Courmayeour (France with Italy by Vallee Blanche)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 9-02-05 21:38; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
You could add

Ishgl (Austria/Switzerland) and Chamonix(France/Switzerland) to the list
snow report
saikee, it's not a difficult thing to do, you don't have to ski every piste, only about 70-80 kms. No driving involved but we did catch a few buses.
snow conditions
Courmayeur Italy/France ---- The Vallee Blanche from the Italian side.
ski holidays
saikee, Courmayeur (Italy) and Chamonix (France) via the Vallée Blanche.
latest report
In the 3 valleys you can do Val Thorens, Les Menuires and all the Courcheval levels in a day
snow report
In the US it's not so much a challenge to ski between countries (or rather states), but simply to ski between resorts. I believe Stowe and Smugglers' Notch in Vermont are linked, and Snowbird/Alta in Utah, now. Not sure of others.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
In the US it's not so much a challenge to ski between countries (or rather states), but simply to ski between resorts. I believe Stowe and Smugglers' Notch in Vermont are linked, and Snowbird/Alta in Utah, now. Not sure of others.

David,

The first time I went to Stowe, 4 years ago, it was linked to Smugglers Notch and with my pass I had a voucher for a 'free' day there - which I did.

A year later we went again, on the back of a business trip, and the link had been cut and all association between the two ski areas had been removed. A Stowe ski patrol guy told me that there had been a commercial disagreement between the two companies that own the ski areas. As far as I am aware they have not been re-linked them.

The Stowe web site used to feature the 'European Style' linked resorts, it does not now.

Shame really as it did add quite a bit of scope to a trip to either ski area.

CP
ski holidays
If the Americans can't link their resorts together because of the commercial conflicts then France will be able to dominate the world with the biggest linked resorts for many years to come.

Would the snowheads here have difficulty in accepting the 200 chairlifts and 600km piste 3 Vallees as the mother of all resorts?

The French/Swiss Portes Du Soleil (650km) and the Itaian Dolomites (1200km) are really only skiing areas which beat the French Tarentaise (1600km) by being able to offer one ski pass to cover the whole area.

Haven't done any of the Dolomites yet but the domain, spreading over a huge area, does not seem to be possible for a day's run by any skier, am I right or a Snowhead has gone round in a day the 12 sectors in this 50-resort, 400-lifts and 1200km area already?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 9-02-05 12:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
In fairness to the N.American resorts, one reason why so few of them are connected is that they are all bloody miles from each other. For example, the Breckenridge lift pass covers Ketstone and A.Basin and gives a day or two in Vail and Beaver Creek, but these resorts are miles and miles apart. Similarly, in Banff, a single pass covers Sunshine, Norquay and LL, which are never going to be connected.
latest report
saikee, the Sportwelt Amade in Austria consists of 865km of pistes on one pass, so in theory it too beats the 3V, but of course like the PDS and Dolomites, it's nothing like fully linked. Even Paradiski looks to have a slightly dubious link between La Plagne & Les Arcs, they're really still 2 resorts rather than one fully linked area - there's still nothing to compare with the 3V.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:

You can ski between Big Sky and Moonlight basin (in fact, if you don't watch the signs, you could do it without knowing). The problem then occurs when you get to a lift - while Moonlight Basin are a small, friendly resort, they do not accept Big Sky tickets, but I have managed to get a free ticket from a liftie in Moonlight when I took a wrong turn. Moonlight tickets are not valid in Big Sky, and they give no leeway on that.
It is, however, possible to ski two or three runs in Moonlight, but using a Big Sky lift.

AFAIK you could ski from Park City to Deer Valley - it's only about 50 metres of off piste between the two at the top of one of the peaks. The drawback is that once you are in Deer Valley, you would have to buy a lift ticket to get out again (you arrive in the back bowls, so you can't even ski down to base). Two years ago a half day ticket at Deer Valley was $67, so it's not something I'd recommend.
snow conditions
OK, How about how many countries in one day?

A couple of years ago I did some research into doing five in one day. Sadly didn't have time and money to pull it off

Start at Vipateno in Italy on the Brenner Pass. (stay night before and be on first lift or get mgt to let you go up with lifties)
Up into Austria and do the one of the resorts to the west of the autobahn Shruns? name forgotten
Then on up into German and do Mittenwald big cablecar and its freeride itinery
Double back down into Austria and hang a right and do a long hall through the Arlberg (option to do the .at resort at St Anton
Swing south and nip into Lichtenstein and ski the lifts above Vaduz
Race back down into the valley and south into Switzerland and dive on the lift at Piztol

I put together some rules to make it a bit more of a challenge.
You need to ride to the topmost lift of the ski resort (stops riding the nursery poma up the side of the car park). This rule makes St Anton tricky as its long ride to the top

It would be expensive if the lift companies don't wave the ticket for some publicity
Someone suggested getting 4x4 car brands to sponsor the vehicle.
Trafficjams on Brenner and Arlberg routes are critical.

There was also a thread on Winterhighland about doing all Scottish ski areas in a day....
snow conditions
It sounds a bit like the old scottish challenge, the McNab, where you had to stalk a deer, land a salmonand bag a brace of grouse all in one day. Apperently there is a Royal McNab where you have to bed the Lodge's housekeeper as well.
snow report
David@traxvax,

Sex of the Lodge's housekeeper immaterial?

SussexSnow 5-counrty attempt seems to be a possibility. Getting whacked with 5 ski day pass isn't too bad if you don't do it every trip.
latest report
David@traxvax, to be followed by a shotgun marriage, presumably (?)
latest report
Well it is a Scots challenge and after a few drams kilts could perhaps be confused with skirts?
ski holidays
Just wondering where the swiss bit is in Chamonix. Some people think Vallorcine is in Switzerland but it isn't. It's in France.

Portes u Soleil summary by saikee says mainly Avoriaz and Chatel but don't you need a swiss section like Champery (or Torgon - is that in?)

In the Milky way you can see Montgenevre (France) as well as Sauze d'Oulx and Sestriere (Italy)

The Ichgl entry needs Saumnan in Switzerland to be mentioned (actually isn't it some principailty or other? it's a duty free place at any rate)
snow report
B00thy,

Thanks for the reminder. Updated Ichgl and PDS.

Not so sure if one can ski from France to Italy or vice versa in the Milky way. Can anyone confirm? From the map it doesn't look like the two countries are linked by piste.
ski holidays
saikee, yes you can certainly go from France to Italy. I think I did it from Montgenevre to Claviere as a day out from Serre Che in mid nineties. But the col at the top is flat and it's quite a trudge before you can get going again. The border is undefined. No doubt a snowHead can fill in more details.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy