Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Crusade ski

Poster: A snowHead
I have heard some great things about this all mountain ski. Has anyone tested these ski's or perhaps own a pair who can give me their feedback good and bad?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What binding would you suggest works best on this ski? I am looking fora binding that would help dampen any chatter on the groomers and ice.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hehe, my favouritist ski at the moment, a superb piste and powder cross-breed. Even in the shorter lengths its got great grip, kick and float. Dont forget they're not a weak/easy cruising ski like a lot of the twin tips and powder crosses, although the radius is pretty short the more effort you put in on piste, the more you will get out of them. Should point out its a little heavy for jumps and tricks etc...

As for chatter the fact its heavy and solid kinda negates the need for fancy bindings or plates. I just have some salomon sch bindings on mine and they do the job fine.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dulcamara, cheers fore the feedback. I'm not too bothered about the jumps and tricks as i'm rubbish at that sort of stuff anyway. They do look and sound like a great all moluntain ski and I can't wait to test them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I tried last year's effort in Tignes and really enjoyed then. dulcamara is right in that they reward you for effort - ski lazy and they don't do much, but give them some welly and they give great feedback and good grip through the turn. Still not sure about the funny wiggle bit on the tip though ... I think it's designed to help in the crud a bit, but I think it just looks like it melted.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Its suppposed to suck stuff under the ski to help it float in bad powder. It does float in bad powder as is is pretty wide at the tip but i have no idea if its the "venturi" tip doing that. All i know is it makes them a pain in the backside to lean against walls, cuz they have it at the bottom as well... Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dulcamara, Would a binding that is specifically designed for a wider ski perhaps be a better option than a standard width binding?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hornster wrote:
I have heard some great things about this all mountain ski. Has anyone tested these ski's or perhaps own a pair who can give me their feedback good and bad?

Thanks

I got a pair of these last season and have never had so much fun in my life! They are great in the variable snow conditions which most European off piste comprises and I was consistently amazed by their on piste performance, ease to carve and edge grip were way more than I expected. OK, they are not as quick from edge to edge as a narrow piste ski (no surprise at 92mm under the foot). I think one reason they surprise on the piste is that their turn radius (15m) is more like a piste ski than normal for all mountain/freeride skis; but I never noticed any problems from this off piste, they felt solid all the way. Can't wait to get them out again this coming season...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hornster, Its really the width of the brake that matters.
Vist bindings are popular with some on this forum (myself included) and are using them on skis wider than and narrower than the crusade.
I think they feel very solid I've never had a prerelease or a fail to release when I took a decent tumble and my DIN's are set pretty standard.

For a more technical review read this (Its one of Spyderjons posts near the bottom)
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54311&highlight=turntable
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hornster, just buy the bindings with the skis, RPF, is right they'll make sure the brake fits that's all that matters. I'm at Hemel a lot so if you ever go to a snowevent type thing let me know and if im there you're welcome t have a play on mine.

As far as bindings go i will not dispute that VIST are one of, if not the best out there. But in this case the ski is already pretty heavy for what you want it for and VISTs weigh a ton. keep the binding light and simple, the ski will do the rest, dont waste money on something you dont need
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dulcamara, They're not that light but hey I'm standing on them not the other way round Little Angel . They are solidly constructed (made of metal not plastic) which attracted me to them first and are not crazy money by any means. I dont mind a few 100g more for better binding. Its the few kilos extra round my middle I need to focus on at the moment Very Happy Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RPF, completely agree, like i said the vists are great, but seriously, the crusade are by far the heaviest powder/piste ski i've skied it doesnt need a super solid binding to support it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Line Prophet 90s or 100s- similar performance, lighter weight
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

it doesnt need a super solid binding to support it

I never considered the role of the binding to be to suport the ski. A solidly built binding wont let you down especially on a ski that likes to be skied hard. Its built to last. Weight wise if your not touring on it wont be a problem, Just dont park too far from the lifts. Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thegunners, Sorry dude, You couldn't be more wrong the lines have nowhere near the on-piste grip or kick,
i've got both and they're completely different skis, the line'll go in the park unlike the crusade but on piste its all about the scotts.

RPF, I agree it wont make much performance difference im just saying dont go out of your way to get a big heafty binding if a lighter one will be cheaper and do the same job.
latest report
until it breaks wink
snow report
dulcamara, Well, I have gone and done it...just bought a brand new pair of Scott Crusades 179cm (2010) with the Marker 12 binding. What are your comments regarding the Marker 12 binding on the Crusades?

Pity about the design on the ski!! I thought that the 2009 design was way better than the 2010 design.
ski holidays
Hornster, nice one you should have a lot of fun on them enjoy Little Angel
ski holidays
RPF, Cheers. What are your thoughts on the Marker 12 free bindings on the Crusade?
snow report
RPF, Cheers. What are your thoughts on the Marker 12 free bindings on the Crusade?
snow conditions
Hornster, Too be honest I'm no expert, I dont want to give the impression I've thrashed loads of bindings to within an inch of their life, I havent. So for me to comment on the marker 12 would be misleading and of little value.
Anything I have said above is simply based on very good experience I have had with the Vist bindings (not bad experience with others), I bought them on the basis that they were well made and that the business end of them was metal rather than plastic and on the reccomendation of Spyderjon (who I bought them off Very Happy ) and who's opinion on these things I trust. It also helped that he lives locally and could fit and shim my bindings to the heights I wanted (I'm a big fan of correct allignment). He also has good tea and biscuits.
Because they worked well for me I have put VIST on any other skis I have bought.

Marker and VIST both have 5mm forward ramp or Delta. Info taken from http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/47/69/
Toe piece 5mm lower than heel where the bindings contact the boot. So they should both be the same from this point of vew. If this is too much for you you can get shims to raise the toe piece. Mine is reduced to 3mm lean using a 2mm shim under toe binding. This was what was reccomended for me after a boot allignment session at www.solutions4feet.com. The difference I noticed it made for me was it allowed me to flex my ankles better and maintain a less back seat stance.

Now count down the days wax them skis up good and go have fun.
snow report
RPF, Thanks for info. Much appreciated.
snow conditions
Hornster, Nice one, got yourself a great ski there. Just remember, eat your wheatabix in the morning and push them as hard as you can and they will keep rewarding you for it.

I have a few pairs of marker bindings and can't complain at all, honestly never had a single problem. They are solid and reliable. Ok I dont have the 12 free's but they are all pretty similar design. These will be more than ample, dont give the binding a second thought.

p.s. don't forget to lean them sideways against walls or you'll take out anything else against the wall (learnt that one the hard way) snowHead
latest report
I came across this when looking at the new Powder Mag 2010 reviews. Anybody know what the problem was and which model? I assume it refers to Vist bindings. "After switiching from Viss to Tyrolia manufacturing, 4FRNT’s bindings saw dramatic improvement—most notably, no more broken toe wings."
ski holidays
Re: Prophets:

dulcamara wrote:
thegunners, Sorry dude, You couldn't be more wrong the lines have nowhere near the on-piste grip or kick,
i've got both and they're completely different skis, the line'll go in the park unlike the crusade but on piste its all about the scotts.

OK, I have probably 60-70 days on my Prophets. They're my least favourite park ski I've ever ridden, damp, not particularly poppy, a bit weighty. Their edge hold/ability to rail turns through bad conditions and really snap you back out of them with a lot of energy is pretty much why they're my all mountain ski. Really at odds with "You couldn't be more wrong" then...
latest report
snowplow, I've never seen or heard of a broken Vist binding. Their 311 model & up all have full metal chassis toe pieces so a breakage would be very very unusual.

Vist's earlier Quicklock mounting plate was weak & I've heard of & seen a few pull throughs on wide skis when they're pushed hard (myself & Kiwi1 never sold the Quicklock for this reason) but Vist have recently re-engineered this part.

AFAIK 4FRNT switched to Tyrolia because they were offered a drop dead price deal which Vist couldn't match. I'd be interested in seeing Vist's response to that comment.
snow report
spyderjon, here is the link http://www.powdermag.com/buyers-guide/2010/4frnt-bindings-deadbolt-15-ltd/ . Do you know which model was rebadged 4frnt?
snow report
snowplow, The problem was not the binding at all but rather the AFD (anti friction device or the £2 teflon pad just behind the toe piece under the ball of the foot/boot) . Vist Used a hard plastic for a while and if snow got under it could easily snap and in many cases did. They sorted the problem about 2 years ago.

As spyderjon, correctly says, many small ski companies use rebranded VIST bindings as I do for WhiteDot as they can produce smaller volumes but they are not cheap. As ski companies grow they tend to leave to other binding manufactuers as they can order biger volumes and get bindings at a MUCH lower price.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaveC, That's fair enough. Given that I have never been in the park on my Prophets and was basing my "they go in the park" statement on the fact they are twin tipped and the crusades really aren't I may have been a bit brash there. However I stand by the statement that the Scott crusades are in a different league as far as piste performance goes. Though not completely sure what you mean by "bad conditions."

Anyways really don't want to sit here and argue this one, Hornster has some great skis there.. that's good enough for me
snow conditions
Did Nordica not run Vist before switching to Marker... have they now switched back? Bit of thread drift going on here Laughing
ski holidays
arv, yup. Vist bought the binding side of the company from Beneton who owned Nordica in the 90s. Vist do currently make bindings for Nordica. Full circle eh.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy