Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early Season Skiing in Stubai

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Fellow Snowheads,

I am both a chronic and serial lurker. However, I am compelled to ask if anyone has skied Stubai as early as the last week of October. I am fully aware that conditions can be both typical and atypical however I would appreciate any reasoned responses. I am planning on taking my son for a week of early season skiing if viable. My planning is not restricted to Stubai but IS restricted to Austria! Your thoughts please!

Regards

Clem Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clem156, I went skiing there mid October many years ago, followed by a week in Hintertux. The conditions were excellent as they had a dump of about 2 feet of snow in Stubai in the first week and so the conditions in Hintertux were also good. Hintertux has more runs on the glacier than Stubai and the skiing is more varied with more challenging runs , so you might consider that also.

If I could go out there on the last week of October this year I wouldn't hesitate, as I'm sure you will get some skiing, but as you are aware you might get epic skiing and you might just get poor conditions, but it will be skiing and all of us back here will be envious. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clem156, I was there during the first week of November last year. The snow was very good. Not all of the area was open though by any means - basically it was just the area above Gamsgarten and Eisgrat, and part of the the blue run that drops down from the Jochdohle. But it was easily enough to keep us entertained for the day we had there. We stayed at Neustift and the whole of the valley felt very autumnul; not a sign of snow anywhere we got up to Gamsgaten. But once we were there it felt just like winter skiing and we needed the same clobber as you would in say January Even the lively schirmbars at G'garten and down at the valley station were open. We were there on a Saturday and I don't remember queuing at all for any of the lifts. I'd definitely do it again for a day or two.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Since starting autumn glacier skiing in the Alps 19 years ago (at least one trip per autumn) I have been fortunate enough to find decent conditions on all but one trip.

Trips have ranged from September to November and in general I have found fairly decent cover/conditions on all European glaciers by late October. I've skied powder on several trips around then/early November. The one trip with poor snow in parts (read 'rock hard ice') was to Tignes one November.

I'd agree that Hintertux is probably the best glacier - though Stubai is very extensive too - I had a great wekend there last November, with winter snow conditions.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with Mountainaddict. October's a great time to go glacier skiing in Austria.

We usually go the last week in October and have never been disappointed with snow conditions. We're off on a 4 day trip in 6 weeks - yippee!! Very Happy

Hintertux, for me, is the pick of the bunch but the Stubai Glacier is also well worth a trip. Then again, I'd put Stubai and Kaprun in joint second place. Pitztal is probably the next best, followed by Kaunertal and Dachstein.

Autumn skiing gets my vote every time - but then again, so does winter, spring and summer skiing wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
All,

Thank you very much for the kind advice. All things considered we will be going 24 - 31 Oct 09. I will post the conditions in the Snow Reports section of the forum. Cheers!

Clem
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy