Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best city to work in finance and ski

Poster: A snowHead
Having seen my dream of training hard and becoming a guide shot down, I'm now looking at something closer to the "possible" realm.

What would be the best city in Europe where I could get a good position in finance and still get to ski a lot?

I've spent the week before last in Lausanne and that's now high on my list (possibly working in Geneva) - but are there any shouts for Milan, Lyon, Zurich, Vienna, Munich, maybe Barcelona, and of course Geneva itself?

"Best city" should be a mix of everything - lifestyle, how easy it is to make friends, financial sector, closeness to good skiing, etc.

My skills are reasonably portable although I would need to wait for the right job at a good level (might as well be able to afford all that skiing, plus summer sports of course). Not planning a move in the next 2-3 years unless a lot of things change.

I'm not really looking to move to the US but hey, feel free to suggest options over there.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Geneva is probably one of the best for finance. Lyon a possibility too, but obviously further from the skiing. Grenoble is not on your list. Niether is Turin.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I'm not really looking to move to the US but hey, feel free to suggest options over there.

Calgary? Wink

I've never lived in any of the cities on your list. But I believe Zurich has lots of finance jobs. Certainly close enough to get a lot of skiing done. But I don't know how friendly it is to a foriegn transplant.

Vancouver will be my dream city. Ticks every box on your list of livability. But it's not that high on the finance sector job front.

Forget about the US. I've lived here for nearly 20 years now. It's got good things going for it. But (finance) jobs near skiing isn't one of them. Having tried out San Francisco after New York, I gave up.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1. Vancouver
2. Zurich
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Forget about the US

My nephew works in the finance sector in the States - he gets 2 weeks paid holiday a year. Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd have thought somewhere Switzerland was a good bet, depending on what kind of Finance you're after, either Geneva and Zurich. Or maybe even Munich (not quite so convenient).

How about Japan...work the week in Tokyo, shinkansen to Hakuba at the weekend Cool

Wherever you work, make sure there's a powder clause in your contract!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My cousin's moved to Geneva to work in a finance - related career, and has a place near Lausanne now. It's always seemed to be a great idea to me. Geneva's a bit dull but Lausanne seems more lively, and the combination of lakeside living, good pay, and a 45 min drive to Chamonix sounds like a winner to me. I'd like to get my French to a standard where I could start looking for work in Geneva myself but investigation shows that it's not that easy unless you work for a multinational. In Finance I would imagine this wouldn't be difficult at all.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
My nephew works in the finance sector in the States - he gets 2 weeks paid holiday a year. Sad

Actually, that's rather unusual, pam.

While majority of US private companies tend to offer poultry paid holiday allowance compared to our European cousins, finance is one of the exceptions. Almost all companies I've worked for allow 4 weeks (and increase to 5/6 weeks the longer one stays). In addition to that, there're also quite a few more bank holidays on top of the 10 federal holidays. And for anyone who made it into the higher officer level, the Federal Reserve mandates they must take a solid 2 week block leave each year (theorectically to prevent any officer from running a "private" bank vault from within any financial company Shocked ).

Granted, that's still not as much as many of us would have liked. Wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 12-09-09 20:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[quote="Patch"]Geneva is probably one of the best for finance. Lyon a possibility too, but obviously further from the skiing. Grenoble is not on your list. Niether is Turin.[/quote

1000 unemployed bankers currently in Geneva so good luck. Geneva is much less important than Zurich. Switzerland has avoided the worst of the recession to now but the outlook for 2010 is not good.

Lyon? the only place to work in France is Paris. The salaries, bonuses etc are much lower in France compared to the UK.

Did you consider London? Good air links to European ski areas.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

While majority of US private companies tend to offer poultry paid holiday allowance

Really? Not chicken feed then?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
could consider a finance role in a manufacturing/medical/pharma/elctronics etc company. Many big names have offices in Switzerland. Areas around Zurich, but also down south west-ish around Neuchatel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zurich Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Do you speak French? Most job ads I've seen for Geneva require French, even though I'm told once you get a job there you'll always be using English... Zurich however doesn't seem to require German.

I'd wait a few years until the next upturn! I'd love to work somewhere like that myself one day...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WE moved to Calgary getting on for two years ago and haven't looked back. In our jobs, it I reckon is unrivalled in that it is english speaking, offers great career opportunities and has such great access to such beautiful mountains and skiing.

However it does depend on what you mean by finace.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Again, I don't really know what you mean by 'Finance' but what about Oslo?

You can ski within the city boundaries after work, and easily get to bigger resorts for the weekend. I am assuming here, you mean Alpine ski-ing, when I say this. I don't think there is a bigger cross-country ski-ing resort than Oslo City.

If you are the best candidate for the job, I have heard Norwegian employers say that it's not too much of a problem if you don't speak the language, the office will just work with you in English. If you are European, you won't need a work permit.
snow conditions
horizon, like most here I'm not sure what you mean by finance. If working in (re)insurance is your kind of 'finance' then Munich is not lacking, it being the home base of the biggest re-insurer in the world. Plus it's the home base of the Allianz, which also one of the biggest insurance companies in the world... Lots of Brits work for one of those two here in Munich. German is usually not a pre-requisite and in fact a lot of expats find it difficult to learn German because the Germans insist on speaking English to them!
Munich is a great place to live. The place is really international, and in contrast to the Swiss in Geneva and Zürich, fellow Europeans are not generally considered to second class citizens! The nearest decent skiing is only about 45 minutes drive from the city ( depending on where you live ). But also in summer the place is geared around having a good time. No other place in the world has the beer garden culture that Munich has Toofy Grin
snow conditions
horizon, Steilhang, I can only ditto all that Steilhang says! Munich is THE place for me! Skills and experience not age count, transferable skills are valued way above having the "right" qualification from this or that uni. It is a Can-Do work environment, if you can do it, it does not matter where you learnt.

Speaking the language is a major advantage though as the job market is very competitive. I've moved jobs several times since coming here and have never had any problems finding a job, but I am fluent in German French and English which is a big bonus 'cos the age factors do sadly stack up against me in some branches.

I live about 80km from Munich and can be in town very quickly due to the autobahn system being civilised and sensible - except when Stanton's compatriots decide to leave the flat lands!

Off down to the Rosenheimer Herbstfest today (think mini Oktoberfest) and then gearing up for the Oktoberfest which starts next week! Can't wait!

Then maybe skiing in Kaprun, Hintertux or Stubai - each not more than 90 minutes away, so good skiing all year round!

Sue wink
ski holidays
I'd vote for Zurich as I have had my only good Mexican food in Europe there...in all seriousness, I like the feel of the city much better than Geneva but this is really personal opinion based on two short (3-5 day) visits.
ski holidays
Quote:

US private companies tend to offer poultry paid holiday allowance

They pay it in KFC vouchers? Doesn't sound like much of a perk to me.
snow report
for jobs in GVA

http://jobup.ch/

the town is a mafia though so the best jobs don't tend to get advertised.
snow conditions
What about Edinburgh.

Good on finance and there is the Slopes only 2.5 hours away. Well if it snows. Happy

Honestly... I'd go for Norway myself. Excellent woker rights, howlidays etc and you could do lots of tings. eg a shipping broker???? Selling space instead of trading deals.

Oslo is about 4 hours from my usual haunt of Hemsedal.

Cheers
Bob; sunny Glasgow
latest report
glasgowcyclops,

off topic a bit but what do you think to a pre-Christmas (like late Nov/early Dec) jaunt to Norway skiing from Scotland? Do-able? Something I've been thinking about (possibly basing in Lillehammer with a car for day-skis round about). Any advice appreciated (sorry to hijack thread, PM me maybe if you have any advice). cheers
snow conditions
Zürich should fit the bill. Go local if you want to but there is a pretty big expat community here otherwise.
snow report
Another vote for Zurich, I worked in a Hotel just on the lake and had a great time Very Happy
snow conditions
+1 for Zurich. almost went for it myself a little while back. it's still a pretty small city but a bit more interesting than Geneva from what I have seen with a bit of quirkiness in there

how about Nice? do the books for some shady character from Monaco and choose between the beach and the Southern Alps at the weekend Cool
snow conditions
horizon, There was a recent survey (a few months back) from Forbes - I think - looking at best cities to live in, using lifestyle, job market, education etc as factors. Vienna was 1, Zurich 2 .......Basically looking at 225 cities accross the globe there were something like 6 Germanic cities in the top ten. From memory, Vienna, Zurich, Geneva, Basel, Munich, and a couple of others.
ski holidays
boabski, Yes, Basel might be worth thinking about. One city effectively spanning three countries. Best of all worlds there. It's not quite as near to the decent skiing as Munich and Zürich, but it's a really good part of the world, with Colmar & the Vosges on one side and Freiburg & black forest on the other! Nice!
snow report
boabski, interesting how cities which do well in these "quality of life" surveys would also come near the top in a poll of boring cities!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting views, keep them coming!

"Finance" currently means business valuation work for a global consultancy - leading a team here in Brussels. I'm certainly not looking to leave this position soon - the least I want to do is build a strong team here, which would take 2-3 years at least, and amongst others it would boost my credentials for future positions. It may well be that I stay here in the long term, Belgium has a reputation for being a place which expats tend not to leave.

If I was to leave in the longer term, a consultancy or bank / corporate M&A type job is probably closer to my profile than a pure CFO job. Could branch out into financial strategy, too.

As for languages, I'm near-fluent in French (though my accent can kill lovers of true French at twenty paces) and I have basic German (good at grammar, but have forgotten most of the vocabulary I once had).

davidof, I lived in London for seven years and enjoyed a lot of things about it...for the time being, I find it easier to mix work and skiing from Brussels.
latest report
Stockholm - a couple of single lift hills in the city area - bigger areas a couple of hours up the motorway. Nice place to work, nice people, English is soken pretty much everywhere.
snow report
Rumour has it that due to the current issues in the UK with the government trying to stop city bonuses that all of the major hedge funds are relocating to Geneva....
snow report
Arno,
Quote:

interesting how cities which do well in these "quality of life" surveys would also come near the top in a poll of boring cities!

Indeed - Baghdad was in last place but I'm sure that's a very 'non-boring' place to live
snow report
I've got friends that live in the suburbs of Zurich and have spent some degree of holiday time staying there. Zurich is a lovely city and <2 hours in many directions dumps you in the middle of the moutains - my friends make a day trip out of a visit to the mountains to ski. The public transport is renowned, the roads are ace and the road signage is excellent (I breathe a sigh of relief when I drive from France through to Switzerland) - added to that the reputation of Zurich for being a centre of finance I doubt you could go far wrong.
ski holidays
I love Munich, it's clean, fun, happy and is built on beer.

Also have a couple of mates working in finance out there at the moment, one for KPMG and the other at Oliver Wyman. No idea if thats the same thing. Its all moving numbers round an spreadsheet from what i can see.

Plus theres bucket loads of ski resorts within a 20Euro train ticket.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
and the road signage is excellent (I breathe a sigh of relief when I drive from France through to Switzerland

You've obviously not visited that road signage black hole that is Geneva. My pet hate at the moment are roads that, when you get near the end, inform you that they are a dead end... put the sign at the entrance to the road yer yellow toothed Genevois!

Seriously GVA has a reputation for being boring but on what grounds? Yes the locals are mostly elderly Swiss and it is not buzzing with clubs (go to Lausanne for that) but what does it lack in particular? You can climb or paraglide on the Saleve, mountain bike or walk on the Jura... all after work in the summer. You can sail on the lake which is huge. Skiing is not too far away. The salaries are good and taxes are lower compared to France.

Some negatives:

Geneva traffic is awful and the town has roadworks all the time. Traffic control is appauling with the slowest traffic lights in the known universe. The public transport is good, unless you are coming over the border from France although the tramway out to St Genis will ease some problems.

It is almost impossible to rent somewhere to live.

Town is fog bound for most of the winter... Geneve fogs are dreadful and are the cause of the depressive nature of the locals.

Big UN/ONG community.

Too many smokers.
snow conditions
boabski, just making the point that it is quite hard to combine a world class city (judged by the city itself rather than what it is near to) with great skiing. Case in point - Mrs A is originally from Vancouver but finds London life much more enjoyable for where we are in our lives. And Vancouver has considerably more going for it than Basel. Basel is about the same size as Luton so not exactly a buzzing metropolis (and yes I have been there)
ski holidays
Quote:

roads that, when you get near the end, inform you that they are a dead end...

It's still better than NOT informing you you're approaching a dead end... wink

A friend touring in Italy had to slam on the brake when the road dead ends and become... steps!!! Shocked
snow report
Agree with a lot davidof says. Geneva can be grey, but it easy to drive 20 to 30 minutes and get up into the mountains. Renting is very difficult, but easier and cheaper in France which can be only 10 minutes away. Boring - depends what you like. I like skiing, cycling, sailing and walking and Geneva is certainly not boring for those. If you want more info on living in Geneva/Switzerland two good expat websites are glocals.com and http://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php
ski holidays
I'd vote for Zurich as well - my OH worked there for a while - had school boy German which was more than enough to get by - the Gas man that called to the apartment spoke perfect English (unlike some of those over here wink )
ski holidays
I think the problem with all these euro-places are whether you make the decision to go native with all the difficulties that entails or join the ex-pat community (seems hard to do both unless you are a real networker).

For various reasons, often beyond my control, I've gone the native route... but it means maybe not speaking a word of your mother tongue from one week to the next. I've worked for a number of French government departments where everything is done in French and you are totally immersed, for better or worse, in the culture. I'm currently working for a branch of the Swiss govt which is slightly more international in that they are prepared to source solutions from outside the Suisse Romande. The level of English spoken in Geneva is much better than you would find in France.

Personally I can see the appeal of being in a multinational with lots of English speakers (aka allies wink and the chance to head down the dog and duck for a beer after work. I did this once when I was at Reuters and I'm sure it eases the culture shock.

Another things I should point out about Switzerland. Job security is limited... my notice period is 1 month although 2 to 3 months is more usual. I don't know if this is the same in the German cantons. However the job market is much more buoyant than in France. Vacations can also be relatively short. My current job has 20 days per annum. I'm told in banking/finance people work quite hard too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy