Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking after edges/base

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Just wondering what I can do to look after the edges and base on my skis in between getting them serviced? Is anything in particular necessary?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you talking about in between waxing and sharpening? how often do you get them serviced per holiday?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't ski in Scotland rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dulcamara, I am. I'll tend just to get them serviced before I go away, but I do go quite often to an indoor slope so I don't know if its worth doing anything in between and mid week when I'm away?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scottland, Have you considered learning to service them yourself? After the initial investment in the gear, it's inexpensive, straightforward to do, and you'll tend to service them more than you would have done taking them elsewhere, so they'll generally be in better shape.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sure someone will give a more comprehensive answer but im off skiing in a minute so i'll give you a couple of points

- If you're leaving your skis in a corner for a long period of time, put a big thick layer of wax on them before they go away to stop them drying out,
- Skis will stay a lot sharper over a week if you take a couple of minutes to run a file softly over the edges to de-burr them (take off the black and uneven bits) every couple of days.
- If you're trying to make it through a day before getting them waxed, get some cheap rub on wax to see the day out, it will make a bit of difference but is NOT a substitute for hot wax.
- If its icy or theres a lot of artificial snow (its made of hard-rough crystals) around you will probably need to get a mid week sharpen and wax (the waxing can easily be done by yourself to save money)
- try and avoid getting the base ground too many times, after around 7-10 times the base MAY start to get a bit thin, (some skis will last much longer but its good to keep in mind)

These are just quick points for the average skier, some people take ages over ski prep but the amount of benifits compared to work involved decreases the more you do.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd say avoid base grinds unless you really trust the shop - I've had lazy techs remove most of the base to get a gouge out when I didn't know better. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scottland, My ski's live happly in the spare room, at the end of the season I give them a good wax, scrape and polish and leave them, some will say you need to put storage wax on ( thick layer of wax and leave)

As dulcamara, said the crystals in artifical snow are harder on your bases than the real stuff, so you should be using a harder wax and have them serviced fairly often. For the edges use and alu oxide stone to smooth out and dings, be careful not to change your angles.

Base grinds, as is said above aren't necessary with every servcie, only if the base is really bad, if you have any bits sticking up use a a fiberpad to run over the base
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
radar wrote:
the crystals in artifical snow are harder on your bases than the real stuff, so you should be using a harder wax and have them serviced fairly often.

- do a forum search for 'Polar X', and heed the warnings too otherwise you're in for a bit of a Herculean task to get the stuff scraped off!

Cheers!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy