Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should our kids learn before they go?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
xyzpaul wrote:
rob@rar,
Quote:

the income from selling lessons is an important part of the business model

It seems that promoting Hemel snowdome on snowHeads is also an important part of the business model!

IMO, the Hemel Snow Centre has been extremely accommodating to snowHeads, with benefit to both sides. They get increased custom, we get a great time at good prices. If you're not too far away, why don't you come along to one of the Sat evenings & judge for yourself? snowHead

rob@rar - don't you dare take personal offence! You didn't get your knight-hood for no reason you know Madeye-Smiley Anyway, I'd just carry on talking about it in your place Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cathy, Laughing Laughing Laughing Snap!
Just for the record, I am not getting paid by rob@rar and neither, so far as I'm aware, is cathy! Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh, er, no - of course not. Nope, not getting paid anything.

What, you're not getting anything? Confused

Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are you both being paid 'in kind'?

I certainly am!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hemel picked up the ball by offering Snowheads better prices. The other domes could have done the same years ago, they didn't. I see no reason for Rob to stop talking about his place; Other snowdomes are free to offer snowheads a deal too, and get promoted in similar ways (For all I know Rob is not the only instructor working at one of the domes).

Back on topic: I see advantages of learning in the snowdome; They'll be quicker to pick up in resort, especially if they are less strong and coordinated. (Sorry parents, not all kids are the best of the class Wink )
However I suspect it can be more costly to offer the kids enough lessons to actually skip the first class in resort (as that will obviously require a weeks worth of tuition in the UK)

So if you know your kids to be strong on picking up sports, i'd be more tempted to just bring them to the alps 'unprepared' (Schools cater for that anyway), and if they are weaker, or not experienced in sports, to give them 1 or 2 lessons in a dome, so they get along in the beginners class in resort more easily (Good for the kids confidence!!!)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cathy, I'm not offended in the slightest. I think it is important to avoid gratuitous pimping on the forum, not least because I've been very critical of it in the past when other people (regulars and occasional posters) indulge in it. So if the general feeling is that Hemel gets too much press around here then I'll back off. It might b a bit tricky to do that, of course, because much of the chatter about Hemel is related to events specifically arranged for members of snowHeads, but I'll see if we can get around that somehow.

For the record the relationship with The Snow Centre at Hemel benefits four parties: The Snow Centre itself, Inside Out Skiing (see my signature for a personal interest in that), snowHeads corporately and snowHeads individually. Each party benefits financially in some way or other, and I hope gets a warm, gooey feelgood feeling as well. I don't know whether this applies to every other commercial interest that is ever quoted on the forum, but I'd guess not...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
xyzpaul wrote:
rob@rar,
Quote:

the income from selling lessons is an important part of the business model

It seems that promoting Hemel snowdome on snowHeads is also an important part of the business model!

If that is widely thought to be the case I'll stop doing it. I certainly don't want to get a reputation for over-zealous spamming of the forum, so if admin or any of the Mods would like me to stop talking about Hemel I'm only too pleased to comply.
xyzpaul is way out of order Twisted Evil - what is evident on here is a partnership between snowHeads and Hemel which, thanks entirely to your good offices, is working brilliantly. Carry on!

Seconded
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I definitely would recommend they have some lessons before they go.

They will be taught in perfect english (hopefully) - even with the best will in the world most foreign ski instructors don't have perfect english, which when they are trying to teach kids makes finding analogies at their level more difficult.

Not only that but if you can get to an indoor ski slope you know that they won't also have to deal with any bad weather. Nothing worse than being cold or uncomfortable when you are trying to learn something for the first time.

My kids did a 4-afternoon course at the ski centre in Glasgow between Xmas and New Year while we were visiting. This is run regularly in all the holidays. This was enough that they started at the 2nd level of lessons in France. I am sure other centres will have special holiday schemes and because you book the week rather than individual lessons it wasn't too expensive at all - in fact I think 4 afternoons was less than 2 lessons at the MK Snowdome.

There is of course the risk that they will hate skiing and if you've already booked you are stuffed... but its unlikely if they see that you love it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulfaz wrote:

Forgot about Pendle, a friend of mine learnt there a couple of years ago prior to going on a lads trip to Cham with us and raved about it. I'll look into it - cheers for that..

There's also Ski Rossendale not that far away from you: http://www.ski-rossendale.co.uk/

In fact there are about 60 artificial "dry" ski slopes around the country: but few ever get any mention on snowHead

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 17-09-09 15:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think a lesson at a snowdome is a great idea. Please don't take them to a dry slope. I went before my first ski holiday and it put me off so much I nearly cancelled rolling eyes .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy