Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learning: Twin tips rental?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just started to learn to board and I've got my first winter holiday coming up in Sainte Foy Very Happy I'm just wondering how rental usually works in the alps; whether I'll get a twin tip as a rental and if not whether I should ask for one.

The reasoning behind it is that I did a full day lesson at Chill Factore (plus a session on my own since) and I think I'm right in saying the rental board is set up symmetrically. So now I'm pretty comfortable with that and would prefer to stick with it - I'm not having any major issues.

Also I'm thinking it will make learning to ride switch easier. I felt that I could have done this when learning as I had no problems moving in either direction on both edges, but the instructor wanted us to stick with either regular or goofy on the day. I've got more lessons booked for the holiday so I'm keen on trying to nail switch as soon as possible.

Any advice appreciated... Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think you'll find a true twin board for rental anywhere in Sainte Foy. However, most "normal" snowboards are as near to twin-shaped as makes no difference for most people. Just set the bindings up centrally and go for it.

That said, there are advantages to a slightly set-back stance and if it's your first trip, there's no real rush to learn switch.

Being able to move in either direction on either edge is pretty normal - it's making turns switch that's the tricky bit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
limawhiskey, Pop in to your local ski hire shop and ask for a twin tip snow board, then sit down for 10 minutes whilst the guy tries to stop laughing wink seriously though unless you are going to dedicated snow board hire shop I doubt you will get one.

Not trying to teach you to suck egss, but did you really have a 'twin tip' ? most snowboards have 'two tips' but reference to a 'twin tip' is something quite specific. a directional double/two tipped board looks almost symmetrical but a 'twin tip' is symmetrical.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh I'm not sure then, it just looked symmetrical to me. It might not have been. As I said, I've only just started so any information is new to me.

Having said that, the hire counter staff never asked whether I would be boarding regular or goofy so I assumed all the hire boards are completely symmetrical. I didn't realise they were rarely used.

I'm not in a particular rush to learn to ride switch, just thought it might be a good idea to do it as soon as - while it's all new to me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah, most boards have a slightly longer front end than the tail end and for that reason are referred to as directional boards but look pretty symmetrical. Normally your bindings are slightly closer to the rear of the board than the front but you can still ride switch quite easily on them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy