Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Riding on the flat--------WTF?

Poster: A snowHead
OUCH ... I am rather attached to my front teggies so best advice would be if you are gonna fall off, clam up, eave the laughing to your mates and then you might just end up with a fat lip (which is also amusing but not so expensive)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
or everyone can all learn to ski

http://youtube.com/v/9uQwW5JVTek

skip to 40 seconds, nothing happens before then
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dulcamara, Ok, thats cool Cool Shocked Cool
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd suggest that if you are losing teeth you're putting the bar in the wrong place.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know where i would like to tell some people where to put it Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I got publicly berated for saying something similar was "cool" on here once.

Apparently it's bad for the draglift, bleat bleat, bawwwwwww.

Cool though eh.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yes, drag-lift longevity is paramount here on snowheads, stop messing roundpaulio,
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
catching an edge going straight is normally rotating the shoulders to face the downhill part, then your lower body follows and BLAM, goggles dent in the forehead.
It's all about weight forward, if you lean back the rear of the board wants to overtake you and BLAM, goggles etc. And you are almost always slightly on one edge, not always the case though. In slush thats a sure fire way of dragging your toes/heel in the slush and BLAM, goggles, head, pain etc.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Most illuminating thread, but somehow I still think I'll keep my planks, thanks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andyph, all skiers should try boarding and vice versa. In paulio's New World Order this would be LAW.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
its definitely a good thing, makes you realise how the two vary, never gave much thought to why the two sports (if you can cal boarding a sports, its a fad really, it'll pass soon wink ) clash so much

e.g
-Boarders have a blind side but can see behind them,
-Its harder to change direction/rhythm quickly on a board
-Boarders learn by going straight down the hill slowly and skiers go side to side
-obviously never realised how ridiculously easy the flat bits are on a board

Up until now I just assumed you were all physically and mentally retarded, tiny brained amoeba/human cross-breeds in baggy pants...... or something

Little Angel
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulio wrote:
all skiers should try boarding and vice versa.

Agreed.

For the same reasons everyone who takes their (car) driving test ought to be made to have at least one day on a bike. Neither have much chance of happening though.

John.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmmmm. I board and teleboard, ski and telemark, I drive a car and now an 18wheeler and I've had a bike licence for nearly four decades and for nearly three of those only used a bike and I cannot believe how much angst there's been in this thread about slapping a flat board down the fall line . . . I give up, yer all turning inta jessies Embarassed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, That is the point - no fall line just the flats. I think most have no angst though and it is just a stage that all boarders have to go through to be able to straightline the flats Very Happy

I need a boarding holiday and it is September, so the summer is gone, a glacier must be up for grabs somewhere. Any one fancy a jaunt to the Stubai Glacier ?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, I think he's talking about just running the board flat along a shallow fall or along a level piece of piste. I'm afraid that my nearest glacier as of next week will be in Washington State. Confused
ski holidays
My nearest Glacier for a while will probably be of the mint variety Sad
latest report
My advice: get a decent board with a nice fast base.
I always used to struggle on the flats on rubbish hire boards. Then I bought my own, made sure it was nicely waxed and topped it up daily with paste wax -> result I was blazing along the flats passing most skiers.

Don't listen to the rubbish about staying on an edge too - if you try and stay on one edge for any length of time you'll just knacker your legs and probably end up actually catching an edge. Just relax, ride it flat, put in small turns to scrub speed if you have to and only really use your edges if you have to go round corners.
latest report
thefatcontroller, I'll give you 4 days max and you'll be back on planks. If not I'll buy you beer in a piste side bar in Les Arcs (if I can find one!) Toofy Grin
ski holidays
ronaldothefrog, I don't 'stay on an edge', I alternate gentle pressure between toes and heels. If you keep your board on a flat base then it will take the line that the terrain dictates, rather than the line you want. I don't care how good a boarder you are, if you spend a lot of time razzing it with your board 'proper' flat then you're going to catch an edge at some point. I guess it all depends on the flats you are trying to get across, there's one which sticks in my mind in Val Thorens where in order to get past it I had to be going full tilt when I hit the start of it. If you think that I'm going to put my base completely flat doing 25mph+ over chewed up piste then you've got another thing coming (I'll gladly watch you do it though Laughing)
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
thefatcontroller, I'll give you 4 days max and you'll be back on planks. If not I'll buy you beer in a piste side bar in Les Arcs (if I can find one!) Toofy Grin

Only if its a beer in 1950 as I know that will hurt the pocket Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report
TotallyBoard wrote:
I don't 'stay on an edge', I alternate gentle pressure between toes and heels.

so you're always slightly on an edge then.

detuning the board kills most of the catching an edge problem, rockers virtually eliminate it.
latest report
I have a sneaky suspision my rental board may not be rockered..... but i'll ask
latest report
Jonny luv plums wrote:
TotallyBoard wrote:
I don't 'stay on an edge', I alternate gentle pressure between toes and heels.

so you're always slightly on an edge then.

wink

Quote:
detuning the board kills most of the catching an edge problem, rockers virtually eliminate it.

wink

John.
snow report
dulcamara wrote:
I have a sneaky suspision my rental board may not be rockered..... but i'll ask

there are some around, K2 and ride do a rockered rental aimed at beginners, I think it picked up an expo award for innovation or something, I wasnt listening properly to the man. K2 do a kids rockered board with catch free technology that did get an expo award, in other words a rocker.
snow conditions
There's a big difference between 'staying up on an edge' and applying gentle edge pressure to cut through chop. Maybe you lot have all the touch of a gorilla Wink
ski holidays
WTF! We're now talking about hiring boards designed and detuned so that you don't have to learn to ride a board! You're not just jessies, you're empty, waxed sac, panty wearing jessies . . . no wonder you can buy pink for 'men'.

It's not dangerous nor difficult to straightline a board with it's base flat to the surface at any speed but it's not particularly interesting and there's a lot more fun to be had on its edge. It is JUST balance and practice! As long as your mass is passing into the board along its longitudinal centre-line and in the front half of the contact patch it will track cleanly. If the board wants to turn and you don't . . . you're NOT BALANCED. Get yerself videoed and look at your body position.

Any more of this crap and the skiers will realise that you're not wearing those baggy trews to allow for freedom of movement and your gigantic plums but just to trap the gas you pass when the going gets tough . . . or flat rolling eyes
ski holidays
coming from the guy who skied the MSB races NehNeh
ski holidays
Jonny luv plums, you have to know your enemy to defeat him wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, hehe, keep your friends close and enemies even closer stylee.
ski holidays
Ok, so i'd like to take this opportunity to refer back to my original post in order to point out how much of an undefined technique this one is....

Quote:

Since then i have been offered advice including, press on one edge, press on both edges, stand in the middle, lean forward, lean back, go for it and shut up stick lover you're not man enough for boarding.

In 2 pages we've had all but "lean back", but at least i'm getting there, i'm taking stay on edge, lean forward and don't be a pansy to the slope next time... EASY Cool
snow conditions
dulcamara, you have been distracted by the 'how to run a board flat' smoke screen and as most will agree a board rarely runs flat (on piste any way - powder is different) so ........ simply ........ a slight edge bias all the time or change from edge to edge and maintain front foot pressure Very Happy
latest report
Buy BATALEON....................& APO EXPRESSO's, you cant go wrong on the flat whatever the situation!!
snow conditions
abeeyare, actually the type of board does help. Go stiff and long Shocked wink
latest report
hehehehehe Embarassed
snow report
Get your weight right back and do a tail press across the whole thing. I have a mate who tries this, he always fails though.
snow conditions
i usually ride on a flat base,not using the edges
a lower riding position helps alot
ray
when you thinking of stubai?
ski holidays
nigel b, when a decent bid of snow comes and sort out the sale/BTL mortgage of a house I am just finishing the refurb of, maybe in 6 weeks or so I suppose

you must be getting itchy snowboard feet ?
ski holidays
rayscoops,
i already have
booked so far mahrhofen in january and usa in feb
latest report
nigel b, Very Happy
snow report
nigel b, superb, how about i buy u a drink in mayrhofen and you can take me down the ahorn where this whole thread began and demo the right way to not die on the flat
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy