Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

USA v. France

Poster: A snowHead
Having skied in France Austria and Switzerland over the past 30+ years if I were to go on the proposed snowHeads USABash what differences would I notice/experience.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 11-09-09 9:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
People speak English. (Of a sort.)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No jostling in the lift queues, so all very civilised. Cool
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
geepee wrote:
No jostling in the lift queues, so all very civilised. Cool

That or the fear that the cops will pull a gun on you... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard wrote:
People speak English. (Of a sort.)

Or, more to the point, everyone expects you to speak English - so there is more banter and generally more sociable behaviour. Lift queues operate wonderfully. Often there is a separate singles line and a spotter will line up rows of six (or whatever) people so no seats are lost.

Often, the edge of the piste extends beyond the groomed area. Great freedom but sometimes confusing as to where you're supposed to go!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing, what proposed USA bash?

Oh, and in answer to your question:

Jet lag, smaller - if any - lift queues, indifferent food (if any) on the mountain, controlled snow conditions off-piste, but within resort, possibly a better chance of powder, rigorous piste patrol curbing of reckless skiers, a reluctance to lower the safety bar on lifts, rather soulless resorts.

That's all based on my one North American trip to Fernie (so not US!) mind you, and what I have read in Epic and sHs - but it is the impression I have formed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, I'm contemplating organising an over the pond bash for the 10/11 season. I've more research to do and I will be posting a poll later to try to find out what people would be looking for from a longer trip.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, understood - thanks for the reply.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque,

Interesting Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles wrote:
smaller - if any - lift queues,

Based on my one trip (also to Canada - Jasper, Lake Louise, Sunshine), this is the only thing I would disagree with.

IME, there were constant lift queues of 5 minutes or more, where in Europe I am used to often having no queue at all, and when there is, only being a minute or two. I don't think I have queued as often as the average I found there more than 4-5 times in all my European trips put together.

I think this was down to there being a smaller number of lifts relative to the terrain available - so even though the lift queues were longer, the pistes were much emptier.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The main difference I noticed was the lack of little huts to stop for drinks etc.

Initially (93) I did notice the more civilised nature i.e. queues, polite lifties, etc. But in all honesty I think France has caught up. When we tried France again after 6 years in US it was a completely different experience -far more customer centric.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles, a concise and complete list of differences. Difficult to argue with any of that - though, no doubt, someone will try!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Troll wink

(Even) more marriage-a-wana smoked on the lifts or in odd little shacks in the woods, bra & pantie trees, locals who are happy to show you the good spots. Seriously uncrowded slopes mid week. Premium prices for ski in/out accomodation. Generally the most soulless resorts are the ones which aspire to be the most European in the 3V mould e.g. Vail Resorts.

Its not the US but stunning scenery aside - if you are looking to extrapolate what the whole N American ski experience is like from a single visit to somewhere like Banff which is overrun with Euro package tourists there's a big bit of the picture missiing.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 11-09-09 10:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OFFS! I'm only just starting to work on this and ALREADY you lot are arguing the toss . . . it's not even for this coming season!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque, Seriously did you think you'd get away without a 30+ page thread on whether it was worth it or not, endless debates on particulars etc. If I was you I'd say the trip is a doddle to organise: Simply say for instance we're going to Summit County/Tahoe/ Salt Lake City etc from this date to this date (give a fortnight window) Organise yourselves into sub groups, book flights & a hire car per group arriving at the same time. Pick hotel or condo to suit your budget, give link to expedia. the only real job for group leader is to organise a group ski pass deal with the relavant marketing body. I've suggested teh above because there's a fair number of ski areas within a small area to give a reasonable selection. Obviously if you want to leverage group discounts on accomodation then more organisation needed but with this people can choose to go for 10 days or stay over an extra week or overlap by one week only etc.
ski holidays
fatbob, I suppose not rolling eyes It's not even my thread, I think I'll just leave then to get on with the cluster***k and have a wander through the carnage when they've finished Twisted Evil
latest report
Off piste areas you can safely explore without guide etc.

Poor food.

Lack of charm.

A realisation that just because you speak the same lingo doesn't mean you share the same culture.

Bigger rooms and beds.

Fewer lifts, but the ones you use serve mulitple runs down the same hill.

Much lighter powder in central areas when it snows(T&C apply)
latest report
Masque, My OP was genuine as we (ie the family) have talked about a ski holiday in the states/Canada before the kids go to Uni get jobs etc. Your proposed event may just fit that bill Very Happy
and as Fatbob says did you really think you would get away without a 30 pager or at least 10 3 pagers!
Fatbob one resort? I thought Masque was planning a grand tour in a caravan of motorhomes yeehah! (J, I'm joking!)
snow conditions
Getting sick and tired of having to tell everyone you're not Australian (maybe just me, but everyone I spoke to seemed to go through the mental process of not American, therefore must be from the only other English speaking country I know)
latest report
It depends where in the US; out west, east coast, SLC etc. are all different. Stay away from the east coast (aka ice coast) and they get quite a bit more snow than the alps, take your fat skis! Atmosphere in the resorts is pretty sterile and dull (better than a french mega resort though) and scenery is nothing on the French/Swiss alps.

Resorts as a whole (espeically lifts) are usually well managed.
ski holidays
Boris, know what you mean. Problem is they get so many surfer dudes out there from Australia that it reinforces the idea that if you speak English but are not American/canadian, you must be from Oz.

Europe gives you more charm (outside mega/purpose built resorts), easier access to slopes, better apres ski and much more transport options and no jet lag (assuming you are british/european) which makes a cheeky weekend easy to do.
USA/Canada requires much longer trips (i have always gone for 10+ days) because of jet lag and longhaul flight times etc but when you get there the skiing/boarding is awesome - been lucky enough to head over the pond 6 times out of last seven years and always had fantastic conditions and very quite slopes even around Christmas time. Downside to this is having spent more time in America I am a very lazy skier as I haven't had to worry about missing people on the slopes - was a real shock to the system when I went skiing in France and had to avoid hitting other people.
latest report
I have never tried America as the OH will not get on a plane for more than four hours. However from the posts on this thread i don't think we are missing much. I love the sheer volume of different runs in the big linked French resorts. The Apre is fantastic as well.
Do you get the same deck chair in the sun afternoons in America? You can't beat the homecoming neck tan line.
latest report
How long does it take to drive (including ferry time) to America and how would it effect the depreciation of my car?
latest report
thefatcontroller, You can get a ferry(s) to Iceland , then you have to swim
snow conditions
ph, if you actually like skiing - you are missing a lot. Both have there good points, I ski Europe and NA equally. A lot of posts here tend to be from people who have been once to the US/canada. Go there.
snow conditions
Quote:

A lot of posts here tend to be from people who have been once to the US/canada. Go there.

Agree. Wifey doesn't like flying at the best of times let alone longer flights but quality of skiing and quiet slopes allowed me to convince her to go back time and time again. Enjoy skiing in Europe as well and it's a joy to be able to fly early morning and be on the slopes that same morning.... but if you aint been to the US/Canada, believe me, you really are missing out.
ski holidays
vman wrote:
.......... but if you aint been to the US/Canada, believe me, you really are missing out.

From my one experience in Canada (Fernie) during a January trip, what I am missing is a soggy lake at the bottom of the slopes, nothing particularly exciting higher up - and a doctor who did no diagnose a broken fibula.

I accept conditions can be much better - but let's not get too excited.
latest report
Two more.

Real beer. Most North American resorts that I've visited sell seriously decent ales (yes - not lager) from a random local microbrewery.

And tree skiing. Fabulous lightly thinned glades that aren't reserved as wildlife refuges.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny Jones, the way things are going in Switzerland, you have a point with the trees.
snow report
Low Fat Tartiflette
snow report
Trees! Trees are great. BUT acquaint yourself with tree well safety
http://www.treewelldeepsnowsafety.com/

I agree with most of this except that I think food can often be very good in the US if you avoid the deep fry lardiness. Self-catering in the US is great.

I find a lot of them a bit soulless. e.g. I didn't like Heavenly at all. And driving everywhere can be a drag. And the scenery isn't all that. But people are mostly very friendly. I was really knocked out by how complete strangers would go out of their way to help you (especially in Canada)
Try and find a place where they do First Tracks breakfast - that's awesome and I wish they'd do it over here.

They have cracking little places too. I'd love to go back to A-Basin - tiny, great atmosphere, great terrain.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 11-09-09 16:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, wash you mouth out Shocked
snow conditions
firebug wrote:
....I think food can often be very good in the US if you avoid the deep fry lardiness........

Avoid Shocked Puzzled Shocked Puzzled
latest report
hehe

well if you like lardiness you'll love it all!
snow report
firebug, I'm the sort of person who when skiing who sees Tartifltte as a light starter Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Perhaps nixmap could organise the housekeeping.
ski holidays
Next season in all Intrawest resorts - Deep-fried Tartiflette in Cajun Breadcrumb! It's the Cheeze to Pleeze! (tm)
snow report
Quote:

From my one experience in Canada (Fernie) during a January trip, what I am missing is a soggy lake at the bottom of the slopes, nothing particularly exciting higher up - and a doctor who did no diagnose a broken fibula.

I accept conditions can be much better - but let's not get too excited.

The point was made earlier about not basing comments on a single experience and you have done exactly that . I have skied and boarded in Canada on many occasions but also Austria, France, Switzerland to about the same degree. It's because of this I do get excited about conditions on the other side of the pond.

I like Europe and there are so many things about the winter experience in Europe as a whole that betters America/Canada but the snow conditions themselves are definitely something to get too excited about.
latest report
vman, hi. My post was made in response to your assertion that
Quote:
if you aint been to the US/Canada, believe me, you really are missing out.
My experience suggests you can't bank on that. And talking to a multi-week regular skier in Canada on the plane coming home, there can often be similar duff sessions. Of course there must be other great times - however, I have little enthusiasm to commit 10 days to fortnight for a trip with guaranteed jetlag on return, and by no means guaranteed good snow.
snow conditions
Alta gets 500" annual snowfall average (CO gets less but still almost 400")
Val d'Isère, in France gets about 200"
and that is before you look at moisture content....

If all you want to do is ski groomed runs all day (yawn) it's probably not worth going. If you like pow and getting off the groomed though it is worth the trip Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy