Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski length

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last winter was my first time skiing. At chill factore I was given 160cm skis, while the hire shop in Chamonix gave me 178cm skis (presumably based on my height and weight which they asked for, as well as my ability). At the time I didn't know why one ski would differ from another, but now armed with a little knowledge my question is this.

Should, as a low level intermediate, I use a shorter ski while I improve technique or should I go straight to a longer ski (given that I'm 182cm tall and 90kg) even if I struggle more to begin with. Is a longer ski at this early stage just not worth the hassle, or will I be glad I used them in the long run once I improve as a skier?

Thanks,
Sam
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sam, the overriding factor that explains the difference is that in Chill Factore you simply will not have the space and speed to make a longer ski work properly.
The hire shops knew that and accounted for it.

There is nothing wrong with using shorter skis to work on tipping and edging skills, no matter how advanced one gets. And using long skis indoors is just, well, not really sensible.

Be aware that longer skis will require better mastery of a skill set (steering and pressure control) that is difficult to accomplish and learn on short skis. Expect to continue learning on long skis, no matter how good you get on the short ones.

There is no 'first I need to get good on these then I can move up': you will continue to learn on both.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In powder i'd go longer, on groomers i'd go for something that's easy to turn and stop and thats a great all mountain ski and more than anything something that you are comfortable with. Try out a few sizes in the same ski and see what works for you.

My husband ski's 174 powder ski's and he used to ski 168 groomers but when he went to buy a pair they only had 175's so he bought those and really he said there's not that much difference. His 174's suit him down to the ground...he stuck them on for the first time this year, was going down some black runs and then just at normal fast cruising speed did some 360's (not in the air) and didn't skip a beat!! When you find something that works for you that's what you need to stick with. All the rules in the world won't make up for what actually works, think of them as more like guidelines.

I used blades (94cm) for two season's and learnt so much, mostly balance and using edges well but i'm back to my 155cm ski's now. They are also amazing in the trees!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy