Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much would you pay for a skiing holiday ?

Poster: A snowHead
fatbob,
Thanks.
We have almost decided not to look any more at the Mon->Mon and concentrate on the Sun->Sun
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't be bothered to read through all of this, but Wayne, aren't you the chap who wanted to film Utah and pass it off as some crappy village resort in Italy and now you want us to gobble up those actions shots and tell you how much we'd pay?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alexandra wrote:
I can't be bothered to read through all of this, but Wayne, aren't you the chap who wanted to film Utah and pass it off as some crappy village resort in Italy and now you want us to gobble up those actions shots and tell you how much we'd pay?

No. The video being made is about skiing in general. Not about a specific resort. And (I'm sad to say) we're not going to the USA after all, even though (after advice on here) I really did try for it. Going just over the Brenner Pass into Austria. Would have preferred to go to America though.

I doubt if you will ever see the video as it's for an Italian site aimed at the UK market, so (as you obviously have a thing about crapy Italian resorts) you wouldn't be interested in downloading it.

I appear to have offended you somehow. Sorry about that.

tell you how much we'd pay? No, (again) I was asking a question. If you don't want to answer you don't have to. Thought that was the main idea of the internet - free exchange of ideas, information and discussion

I can't be bothered to read through all of this, OK dont. You could read something else, free world ya know..

Confused
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
£1K per pax per week for everything (outside of school holidays)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc, that's roughly what I budget.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc wrote:
£1K per pax per week for everything (outside of school holidays)

I'd agree with that cost, not that I am able to go outside school holidays of course Toofy Grin That's why I was so pleased about your half term prices! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowhead in 'apropos of nothing snidey personal attack' shocker.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio wrote:
Snowhead in 'apropos of nothing snidey personal attack' shocker.

There's form. Search function is your friend.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wayne, £590 seems quite reasonable for an adult, however we always travel with kids and wouldn't pay that price for them, would be looking for half price or something similar given they would be sharing the same room as the parents - notice on your site you don't have any chab discounts (exceptt children < 3) - is this intentional, are you losing potential family clients ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Like any "working out" we understand our costing are never going to be accurate 100%. But we have to try Smile
We assume (when doing our costing) that all our clients will travel from the geographic centre of the UK (Warrington), They will travel as mum, dad and 2 kids. The kids will want ski school, the parents won't. 3 of them will want free ski and boots and one will have their own boots. etc, etc. This equation changes slightly each year as we have have more data.

Of course this will never be correct but (believe it or not) for our clients it is "about" right in over 40% of cases.

We work out what the cost of this nuclear family will be and then divide it by 4. How's that for simple. Parent and Kids pay the same.
There are dicounts for 3 or 4 people in the room as the hotel charge us less PP.

Airlines (most of em), have changed the T&C's to define an infant as <3 not <4 as they used to.

We have really tried hard to get away from the archetypal TO website where every time you click enter the cost goes up. So, we just have one price. No deals, no offers, no extras, nothing to pay for when you arrive, no paid for option extras (pub cralws, quizes, etc. We do these but they a free). It seems to work for us. Hopefully people like this clear and simple pricing.

Oh. If you ever hear that question in a quiz. It's actually the IKEA cark park, in Warrington next to the M62, J8.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wayne, ta Wayne, fair e'nuff. In which case, it's too much for us Sad
We would entertain those prices during Easter week, but not during school time.

edit : but then again were stingy northerners
edit2 : with a keen eye for a bargain
edit3 : probably not you're typical punter so you're probably not far off the mark
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
masmith wrote:
Wayne, ta Wayne, fair e'nuff. In which case, it's too much for us Sad

Thanks for the feedback anyway. It's always usfull to hear about holidays from a client's point of view.
There are many people on this forum that take ski holidays with a TO and DIY so unless we ask questions we won't get answers. Of course some of the answers are not the one's we were hoping for (yes of course we will pay £2,500 each for 2nd week in Jan Toofy Grin ) but hey that's what I'm looking for, the truth from people who know.

Thanks again (from one stingy northerner to another)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As it happens, until the kids came on the scene we always skied 2nd or 3rd week in January - usually in a catered chalet in a large French resort, usually with a TO.
Prices increased over the years from approx. £300 1993 to £550 in the early noughties. Add ski pass / hire etc on top.

If I was still booking for that group of people for those weeks then I would think £590 would be very tempting and would certianly get our interest.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
seems we have been wrong for years about the middle of the UK

Oh well Smile
Whitendale Hanging Stones, near Brennand Farm, 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) north of Dunsop Bridge
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Our 2 DIY off piste holidays this year will be less than £1,100 per head all in, in Val Cenis - 9 nights, (8.5 days skiing) plus lunches and drinks. We all have our own equipment but this includes 6 days with one of the world's top guides who will drive us (group of 6) in his mini-bus around the various Haute Maurienne resorts. About £350 of this will be for the guide and his van. (ie about £130 per day of skiing including guide)

The other, to Montgenevre (skiing the Milky way circuit plus Serre Chevalier and Puis St Vincent) is also 9 nights, 8.5 days skiing with the same guide. Since it is not where he lives we will have to pay for the guide's travel, hotel room and lift pass and everything is more expensive, so it will be about £1,300 plus drinks and lunches. However about £450 of this will be for the guide. (ie about £150 per day of skiing including guide)

I'm also doing a Ski Club of GB off-piste holiday with guides to Andermatt (£1,100 plus lift pass and flights [to Zurich] and lunches and tip for the guide and not including skis which they assume we all have) for 6 days (official) skiing - but by going a day early and taking a late evening Easyjet flight back I'm hoping to extend this to 8.5 days skiing for just the cost of the room and an extra 3 days on the lift pass.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 11-09-09 10:50; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
snowball,
It sounds absolutely brilliant.
snow report
If I manage to squeeze in a week-end in Scotland at the end of the season that will be 4 weeks of skiing (pretending to be 3)!
snow report
As a child-free couple, we usually expect to spend about £1000/head for flights, transfers, accommodation and food.
(It was rather more than that last year but the exchange rate has improved very slightly since then.)

More than that when we say in a 4* hotel somewhere like Zermatt. Less than that when we book a TO package for the week before Christmas.

Lift pass is on top of that, and we have our own skis/boots.

But we tend to go to the big expensive resorts.
latest report
I should have said that we do about 50/50 TO packages and DIY.

We tend to use TO in France, where there are limited transfer options other than driving, and charter flights go to handy places such as Grenoble. We often do DIY in Switzerland or going by Eurostar as we like trains.

When we do DIY it usually comes out more expensive than a TO-organised chalet holiday, but less expensive than a TO 'holiday service' where they sort out scheduled flights, hotels for you.
snow report
skimom wrote:

£350/week
inc
transport to resort,
self-catered accommodation,
food,
drink,
travel insurance,
airport parking
petrol to/from the UK airport.

Insurance £32.89 for a family of 4
Airport parking £39.50 for 1 car for a week
Food (guess) about £100 min
Petrol (guess) about £20
Drink (guess) £50
etc.etc
Leaves you with about £289 to provide a good quality holiday.

We couldn't match that and don't think any TO could that is being run on a financially sound footing. Unless they are just off loading overbooked facilities and are desperate to get something (anything) back to off-set deposits paid to suppliers.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 17-09-09 15:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
My budget for a cheap 'family' ski holiday is £2000 - thats 2 adults, 2 kids, transport to resort, self-catered accomodation, lift passes, food, drink, travel insurance, airport parking and petrol to/from the UK airport.

Last year went out of school hols Sun-Sun and spent less, previous year went Thurs-Thurs majority of it in Feb half-term and came in just under.

So I guess my 'per person' budget is approx £350/week without lift passes.
snow conditions
Budget for half term is £2k for one adult and two kids in decent standard hotel with half board and flights from regional UK airport, including transfer to resort.
latest report
I see some interesting prices on your website Wayne. Are they set prices? If so, count me (and Mrs NBT) in for w/c 28th feb 11 in the Renzi at that price!
snow conditions
I have been known to pay between £500 and £1000 each (plus spends) - half terms/easter for the most part (ski school, equipment, lift pass incl.). Usually would go for half board for ease of breakfast but self catering is fine (if not a budget batterer with laziness!).

My daughter's going to Austria on her (first!) school ski trip in January. £600! By coach! *shakes head*
ski holidays
kittya,
Not sure that £600 is way over the top for a school trip - have seen much higher. Sounds about right when you take into account the number of teachers that need to go on the trip with them. It's not the fault of the school it's just the nature of rules now. (almost said "when I wuz a lad" there)

I really hope your daughter has a wonderful time. I'm sure she will soon pick up the skiing bug and be able to whizz around with you really soon.
snow report
Wayne, I agree. Full board, ski hire, lift pass and accomodation and travel.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Wayne, I agree. Full board, ski hire, lift pass and accomodation and travel.

So do I actually, it's not a bad price at all, and she gets to ski without me (bonus!). It's just that it's an extra £600 on top of all the other expenditure (& I'm worried there aren't going to be too many other parents around willing to pay it - see other thread!).

Smile
latest report
nbt wrote:
I see some interesting prices on your website Wayne. Are they set prices? If so, count me (and Mrs NBT) in for w/c 28th feb 11 in the Renzi at that price!

It's interesting to see companies making it easier to understand the pricing, but does that mean you may be able to get a better deal elsewhere?

(Yes I do suffer from post-purchase anxiety!)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i see £590 various times in this thread

considering what it includes

i think its a good price
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy