Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot fitting charge?

Poster: A snowHead
Title says it all really, do shops usually charge for boot fitting or is a case of diferent shops diferent charges? Thanks. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Atomic_skier, personally i charge £25 per 1/2 hour working on boots, other places may charge more or in most cases less, depending on the skills of the fitter and the tools available to do the job...it all depend son what you want doing and how well you want it done

in saying that, if you were coming in on a quiet morning mid week and purchasing a £100 custom footbed or a £250 boot heating system and need a minor stretch in one boot then i am unlikely to charge for the stretch Little Angel
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks CEM. What about if i was buying brand new boots from yourself? snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Atomic_skier, Fitting is inclusive if you buy the boots from CEM, all you pay extra for is footbeds/custom liners, etc.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As i thought. Is this the same with every boot fitter?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No good boot fitter should charge you for the initial & immediate follow up fitting on boots if you've bought the boots from said fitter/shop. My €0.02
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Atomic_skier wrote:

I beleive that Profeet charge extra for fitting of boots supplied by them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman wrote:
Atomic_skier wrote:

It's been several years since I used them but I think it was £100 on top of the cost of the boots, but that did include a footbed as well as the usual fitting services.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, It's now £149, which includes a Comformable footbed.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Yeah, tried to but some boots from Profeet last year, They say its actually the service they are selling (the boot doc type, electronic fitting thing) as such they wont actually sell you a pair of boots without that process, so you have to add the price on straight away.

What's strange is that in Austria a large number of really great skiers told me they would maybe fit a normal footbed if you have high arches etc. but didnt like heat moulded ones or a lot of the time just left the original beds in. This always seemed a bit odd to me?

So assuming any reasonable shop will do a quick fit for free, and a full fit can cost hundreds, when price is an issue what are the first things you should look at in order to make the big differences? Maybe someone could dream up a reasonable price you would expect to pay for a reliable fit?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I will pay £300+ for boots plus about £60 for moulded customised footbeds. Then I expect the rest of the fitting to be included in that price. The cost of the boot should include the initial fitting similarly the cost of the footbed should include the initial fitting.

If I went into another boot fitter with my own boots and needed some adjustments then I would expect to pay for that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Maybe someone could dream up a reasonable price you would expect to pay for a reliable fit?

dulcamara, Its been done, with real prices by a real bootfitter, see second post in this thread.

If you are needing to buy boots and footbeds it will depend on the boots you buy the foot bed you get.

For a reliable fit you need a decent bootfitter. The big shops have a lot of different staff in their different branches get the right person you are sorted get the wrong one your fuc*ed. They have people who know what they are at and have seen lots of feet and can do the job. But you could get someone inexperienced who with the best will in the world doesnt understand the process (this is how I ended up with mine a size too big despite thinking I was getting a good service). She wasnt too hot at making footbeds either. Shocked

Really you are looking at the price of the boot and footbed you get. This is where most of the cost is and where most of the variation arises from.
Both vary £200-£300 and £50-£100 are I think is a reasonable guide.

If you dont get the job done right you will end up spending more getting someone to fit the boots right afterwards (or worse again to tell you the boots are wrong for you). Bootfitters will try to get you into the right boot for you so they need to modify them as little as possible.

My reccomendation is go to CEM (2nd poster in this thread) www.solutions4feet.com simply because he has got me into the right boots and I'm very happy with them. He has good attention to detail and dosent bulls***t. He won't sell you a load of stuff you dont need either (I tried to buy it off him but he assured me it wasnt necessary for me Very Happy ). He does all the fitting himself so you know that you are getting the best fitter in the shop (even if that is by default wink ). I went there based on other testamonials on this forum so thanks to snowHead's too for getting me in the right boots.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmm I could do with some new boots fitted properly. Is it worth the 2½ hour trip to see CEM then? Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All fair, maybe a price was the wrong thing to ask for, I was just wondering what I should be looking at first?

cuff alignment, expensive footbeds, internal/external canting/shimming etc etc .....

p.s. you sure CEMs the only fitter in the shop?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dulcamara, yeah, he gets andi McCann in to do allignment by appointment but its his shop if you go there you see him. He works by appointment too.

First thing is correct boot for your foot and that it is sized correctly.
Second is someone to tell you if what you are feeling is right or wrong when you try new boots. This is a lot of reassurance but not to be overlooked.
The rest wont make an ounce of difference if the boot is not right for you.
Then footbeds
Cuff allignment is simple (but important) and it should be done as part of the fitting.
Then allignment with shims etc. (This is what Andi does) its detailed on the solutions4feet website. I think its a worthwihile investment.

By far the most common bootfitting problem is boots too big.
snow conditions
dulcamara wrote:
p.s. you sure CEMs the only fitter in the shop?

Yes, it's his business and he is the only guy who does the fitting. If you visit Solutions4Feet you will only get CEM fondling your feet.
ski holidays
Atomic_skier, superbly written piece here
snow report
just to set the record straight, i have a £30 consult charge when we fit/sell a pair of boots, that basically covers the assesment, measuring, fitting and set up of the boots, the only additional charges are for footbeds, and full canting assessment/sole planing, race plates etc (so the real hard core extras)

some people on here feel that the fitting cost should be in the price of the boot, this is fine for a shop which will no doubt make its money by selling you a ski suit, gloves, goggles helmets etc etc etc..all i do is boots , shoes and insoles, nothing more nothing less, the margins on ski hardware are pretty low and without that charge then i would probably not be keeping a business going all year round..... there is one other factor, ask your fitter what their relevent qualifications are when they are not charging any extra Little Angel

you could look at it is like a heating engineer or a kitchen fitter...you get chaged to the materials (kichen units /boiler/shower) then a labour charge is on top to fit it...normally by the hour or quoted for the job...buying the materials from us and the labour chage is a one off, not an hourly rate
latest report
oh and yep i am the only one in the shop BUT i am looking for a member of staff for the winter...but don't worry i won't let them loose on any feet without supervision and a big stick handy in case they screw up wink
ski holidays
Thanks everyone some great info there.Job done. Very Happy
ski holidays
CEM, I think you should charge more. You've already done my boots Toofy Grin
But dont put up the price of the Zipfits yet wink
snow conditions
RPF wrote:
CEM, I think you should charge more. You've already done my boots Toofy Grin
But dont put up the price of the Zipfits yet wink

the thought has crossed my mind wink wink
snow report
CEM, and then disappeared out of site!!! right???
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy