Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question for skiing in Europe....

Poster: A snowHead
Just some guesses here as to why there are these differences:
Canadian slopes tend to be at lower altitudes, partly because there is snow at lower altitudes in Canada with the colder weather, and partly because mountains here are simply not as big as the Alps Smile The result is two-fold:
1) The weather can change more. If you are really high up, you are probably going to have snow on all the runs all the time, and not be too affected by ground weather. But if you are depending on cold ground days and some warm days appear, you can have slopes with little to no snow on them, and hence a greater need to fence off areas.
2) There is alot more tree-skiing in Canada, which is inherently more dangerous, and therefore more ski patrol/fencing off. As far as I know alot of the good skiing in France/Switzerland is above the treeline?

Note that I've only skied in Canada, so I don't know if what I've heard about altitude/treelessness of most European skiing is correct, and also cannot really comment on American skiing.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
richmond, I've stayed at the Village before. Cafe Breck was a favourite of mine for breakfast - they do a great "Mile High Stack"
You're in a great location. Take a walk down the main street to Ullr's for a few beers, or go up to the Great Divide Lodge (I think that's what it's called) for a slightly quieter/more up-market affair.
There used to be an Irish bar about half way down the main street on the right, but I heard it closed a couple of years ago.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nextascent, that's very kind of you. You could pm your number to me. What are Keystone and A Basin like? I've heard good things about both, especially A Basin.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
richmond, I've skiied Keystone before, it was a lot quieter than Breck, and well worth a day trip. Haven't skiied A-Basin yet, but a lot of people rave about it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not sure that Switzerland is representative of the whole of Europe as far as their treatment of slopes are concerned. I believe their attitude is less caring about safety than a lot of resorts - their pisting is less frequent, they don't use netting on narrow chutes and lanes - basically if you can ski you can ski anything in their opinion. I love their resorts but not their slopes as much as other european venues.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It might be a bit harsh to characterise resorts who do not piste everywhere frequently as 'uncaring'. I enjoy skiing unpisted pistes (?) some of the time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tessaventer wrote:
I'm not sure that Switzerland is representative of the whole of Europe as far as their treatment of slopes are concerned. I believe their attitude is less caring about safety than a lot of resorts - their pisting is less frequent, they don't use netting on narrow chutes and lanes - basically if you can ski you can ski anything in their opinion. I love their resorts but not their slopes as much as other european venues.

One thing I specifically noted last week, in Verbier, was that there were no notices concerning backpacks. And the lifties certainly were not bothered. Whether or no you wore you back pack on a chair was entirely up to you.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That sort of goes against the "overregulated" stereotype, a bit. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skanky, you should see them when they get hold of fireworks Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ian Hopkinson, I have. Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You should see them on the roads. They may stick the speed limit, but they do everything else they can to drive, how shall I say, badly. The German autobahns near the Swiss border are full of Swiss driving incredibly fast and badly; kid in the sweetshop syndrome, I suppose.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm surprised that a couple of posters seem to feel restricted by the piste poles in Europe. The poles are only there to mark the pistes - there's no reason at all not to go outside them assuming it looks OK. I would be much more discouraged by roped off areas.

The French (no French snowheads as far as I know), are much more adventurous about trying off piste routes and snow. It really seems to be the Brits that stick to the pistes religiously. If you can see it's OK then try it - go on - you know you want to. Off piste does not necessarily mean steep and deep it means just what it says.

Here we have loads of it, much is just next to the pistes. Next week (hopefully) we'll be able to ski about 50m from the pistes in splendid isolation while all the other idiots are cramped and in danger like Picadilly Circus in the rush hour! Laughing Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, Ullrs? I should have known! Smile I've been known to park my tail there for a few beers as well. Tis especially fun when the bartenders are feeling gererous and buy you a drink!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nextascent, do they still do the 24" pizza?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat, I haven't seen one lately...I know they do those at "Downstairs at Erics"...that is HUGE!
latest report
nextascent, None of our august SnowHeads seem to have elaborated on the falling off chairs, top, or bottom, or both, of lifts. That European 'Rite of Passage', that 'Badge of Honor' - like running with the bulls at Pamplona, an experience to make the boy skier a man and to make the girl skier a woman, the faller an object of momentary ridicule, while also providing the the immediate ski world with priceless entertainment. The projected ridicule and laughter mask our own inwardmost fears of losing concentration for that nano-second and doing it as well! I have heard a rumour, and only a rumour mind you that some lift assistants give points for 'Spectaculars'. A friend of mine did a 'Spectacular' last season - no queues whatsoever, the next chair would have taken 20 seconds. Does he wait? NO! rushing forward for a chair when the gate bar closed (just about knee level). The forward inertia which was to propel him to the chair now turned on him as his enemy and whilst the gate bar stopped his legs, his upper body maintained a pretty strong forward motion, resulting in his uncermonious somersault over the bar, to land, balanced on his head with legs & skis akimbo. The few witnesses of the 'event' were sent into uncontrolable hysterics. I felt quite unable to move, shaking voilently with laughter, lest I have an unfortunate accident. The lift stopped for a minute or two - no doubt to the dismay of those already on it, but for the dozen or so others that were treated to the event, and to our little group, it became the stuff of legend, recounted each time a glass or two is had! - until the next one....... Laughing
ski holidays
The best thing about Europe is that you can pretty well go where your good or bad sense takes you!
Its down to you and you better be able to cope with your decision.

Having said that I'd jump at Utah but I think any nannying would p*** me off..!!
ski holidays
nextascent, managed one once! (forgot it was Erics)
I remember one evening walking back along the main street and it was really cold, so we stopped at every bar for a warm drink...
ski holidays
Bernard Condon, I would admittedly love to have witnessed that event!!!

Wear The Fox Hat, when are you coming to CO....you should come during Ullr fest Smile I'll buy you a drink....or five! haha
snow report
Bernard Condon, that almost happened me up the Lauberhorn in January. I thought I was going to make it to the chair, instead I had a VERY SORE thigh - I'm just glad I wasn't about 6" shorter, or I'd be singing soprano the rest of my life.

nextascent, when is the Ullr fest?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy