Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arc This season

Poster: A snowHead
Neil

Have a look at this - great hotel we have stayed at for two of the last three New Years - its 200m from a little lift that brings you up under the Vanois Express and w/c 9th Jan its only euros 395 including the Les Arcs lift pass(so take off the E209 for the lift pass and your half board accomodation is about £22 a night each!!) . Greg and Celine are good hosts too.

http://www.hotel-peisey-vallandry.com/en/promotion_uk.htm
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That site isnt the easiest to use.....!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Neil wrote:
That site isnt the easiest to use.....!

It is I must admit 'individual' rather like most French hotels - but to me thats part of the charm! Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think we are going to go ahead and book one of these now. It seems everyone is happy and I havent heard anyone advise me to stay away from them so hopfully that means they do they do what they say on the tin.

# 3 Star Residence Maeva Charvet Et Villards
# Studio up to 5 pax. South N/A
# Self Catering
# Check in on 9th January 2010
# 7 nights
Flights & Accom for that is about £200pp
Or 1 studio room for both couples is about £280pp

Or
* 2 Star Le Thuria & Ruitor
* 1 Bedroom Apartment Balcony Terrace Mountain View
* Self Catering
* Check in on 9th January 2010
* 7 nights
Flights & Accom for that is about £203pp
or 1 studio room for both couples is about £270pp

Now thats cheap skiing imo! Espec for somewhere like Les Arc?!
Just hope we can get some cheap ski passes! But I wont hold my breath!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Neil wrote:

Just hope we can get some cheap ski passes! But I wont hold my breath!

I haven't found a source of discounted lift passes for Les Arcs, unfortunately.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, When you rent from Chalet Des Neiges up in Arc 2000 they offer discounted pass rates
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thefatcontroller wrote:
rob@rar, When you rent from Chalet Des Neiges up in Arc 2000 they offer discounted pass rates

How much is the discount?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, Last year

Quote:
To ski pass Les Arcs, following the price:
• 6 days for an adult: 190€.
• 6 days for a child: 140€.
• 7 days for an adult: 211€.
• 7 days for a child: 158€.

To ski pass Paradiski, following the price:
• 6 days for an adult: 225€.
• 6 days for a child: 168€.
• 7 days for an adult: 252€.
• 7 days for a child: 189€.

To ski pass Paradiski Découverte, following the price:
• 6 days for an adult: 200€.
• 6 days for a child: 150€.
• 7 days for an adult: 225€.
• 7 days for a child: 168€.

The kid prices are included between 6 years old and 13 years old. Below 6 years old, the ski pass is free. But please prove it to us. Thank you.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thefatcontroller, how did that compare to the normal retail price (sorry, I had a season pass so not sure of the regular weekly rate).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.chaletdesneiges.com/arcsarollesapparts/araroapp.php?langue=uk

just had a look on the above link, they look amazing but I think they are still a little out of our price range as it looks like we still need to buy flights and transfers ontop of these?
They really are stunning though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Neil, You should see the other one they have, especially apartment 408 overlooking Lanchettes chairlift.

http://www.chaletdesneiges.com/arcscime/arcimpresentation.php?langue=uk

This is the view from the boys bedroom. Toofy Grin Its a whole 10 feet or so in the morning to the chairlift

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
thefatcontroller, how did that compare to the normal retail price (sorry, I had a season pass so not sure of the regular weekly rate).

No idea, didn't check but last year they charged €225 for a paradski 6 day and this year the full price is €249 so I assume €240 ish last season, so not much but pays for carte neige?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller wrote:
This is the view from the boys bedroom. Toofy Grin Its a whole 10 feet or so in the morning to the chairlift

when are you installing the fireman's pole for speedy access to the front of the line?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bertie bassett, I daren't suggest such a thing to a 9 and 7 year, they would need no encouragement Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thefatcontroller wrote:
Neil, You should see the other one they have, especially apartment 408 overlooking Lanchettes chairlift.

http://www.chaletdesneiges.com/arcscime/arcimpresentation.php?langue=uk

Wow you couldnt get much closer could you?! Thats amazing!
They look really nice. Do you mind me asking how much you paid and what month you went? How much did you pay for your flighs (presuming you flew?) and connections? What was the name of the appartment block you wear in?

Thanks

bertie bassett wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

when are you installing the fireman's pole for speedy access to the front of the line?

How about a zip line?!! Now that would be cool!!

snow report
Neil wrote:

They look really nice. Do you mind me asking how much you paid and what month you went?

I think you'll find thefatcontroller owns that apartment...
snow report
last year there were some lift pass offers on the Les Arcs website - but they were hidden in the deepest, darkest depths of the site.....and only in French. Seem to recall that I skied on a Saturday for about 10Euros with a print out of the form.....it took some finding though
ski holidays
Guvnor wrote:
last year there were some lift pass offers on the Les Arcs website - but they were hidden in the deepest, darkest depths of the site.....and only in French. Seem to recall that I skied on a Saturday for about 10Euros with a print out of the form

Guvnor wrote:

.....it took some finding though

Not really that much finding as long as you knew the magic words in french as the website was in place for last season, and had been mentioned on here at least a couple of times.

http://www.samedijeskie.com/

really only of use to Frenchies or Brits ski-bums from other resorts with their own transport that fancy a day in Paradiski and can put up with the traffic.
snow report
bertie bassett, ....or for those who, like myself, like to sneak in the odd weekend on the slopes
latest report
bertie bassett wrote:
Neil wrote:

They look really nice. Do you mind me asking how much you paid and what month you went?

I think you'll find thefatcontroller owns that apartment...

ohh right.

Does he ever rent it out to people?
snow report
 Jan Henderson
Jan Henderson
Dublinfella,

Worth considering Bourg St Maurice itself when looking at Les Arcs - it is a 'real' town, cheaper bars and restaurants, cheaper/better supermarkets and probably cheaper accommodation too.
And you can get up to Arc 1600 in the funiculaire from the station in 10 minutes (free with liftpass). If the snow's good you can ski most of the way back down - at least to Les Granges and get the funiculaire down the last bit.
snow report
Jan Henderson wrote:
Dublinfella,

Worth considering Bourg St Maurice itself when looking at Les Arcs - it is a 'real' town, cheaper bars and restaurants, cheaper/better supermarkets and probably cheaper accommodation too.
And you can get up to Arc 1600 in the funiculaire from the station in 10 minutes (free with liftpass). If the snow's good you can ski most of the way back down - at least to Les Granges and get the funiculaire down the last bit.

Thats interesting..... i didnt actually consider Bourg St Maurice. I wish I was taking the car, that way if i didnt like a place at least it would be a lot easier to get to other towns. Plus it would be really nice to explore a lot more to find out what village we prefer for our next visit (and hopefully we will have more free cash then so we can stay where we want to rather than where we can afford!)
snow report
 Jan Henderson
Jan Henderson
Yeah, Bourg with a car gives you lots of possibilities.
You can be in St Foy or La Rosiere in about 20 minutes, Tignes or Val d'Isere in 35-40, and if you go back the other way there's La Plagne and the whole of the Trois Vallees in well under an hour.
You can pretty much do a different resort every day for a week or more if you have the energy.
latest report
Perpaps next year we will drive. I think this year we will go cheap as we can, and next year splash out a bit more. It sounds awsome driving around to the different villaes though.
latest report
Neil, I stayed in Residence Le Ruitor a couple of years back. It's fine if a little basic and cramped on space, but that's typical of French skiing appartments. It's pretty easy to get to and is a stagger up a rise to the main lifts in 1800 or you can walk down the hill to a chairlift out on its own which looking at my old piste map is called Jardin 29. I think there is a stop for the free bus (navette) right outside if you prefer not to slide about on the road.
snow report
Le Ruitor and Charvet et Villards look pretty cheap. So I think we are going to book one of them.

We just need to decide if we are going to go for a larger apt, and share or if were going to go for small studio flats each. Its only £50 extra to have a studio flat each but im not sure if we wouldnt prefer a larger one to share!
snow report
Ok, so not going Les Arc now. but to La Plagne.

Going for a local pass for 199e but I might get a one day ski pass and go have a look at the Arc area.

Looks like we are going Janaury 16th now, one week later than planned and I cant wait!
Now I need to get some Roof bars and a roof box for getting people to the airport! I thouht the Audi A8s boot was big enough but i dont think it will fit 5 peoples luggage, one pair of skis and 3 pairs of boots in?!
ski holidays
Dam it!
We were going to book the holiday today and its gone up almost £150pp! >_<
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well all turned out well in the end!

The misses managed to phone a travel agent right after someone had cancelled (due to a falling out with the others in their ski party apprantly)

Bad for them, great for us!

£268 for flights, transfers and hotel! Jan 16th 7 nights at Résidence Madame Vacances Sun Valley - La Plagne
Early flight as well! 9am! So what a winner!!! Brand new appartments! Ski in ski out, sauna etc right on piste!

Anyone ever stayed at Résidence Madame Vacances Sun Valley in la Plagne? I hear its failrly new.
snow report
Neil wrote:
Well all turned out well in the end!

Anyone ever stayed at Résidence Madame Vacances Sun Valley in la Plagne? I hear its failrly new.

The buildings were only being finished off towards the end of last season - I think one or two blocks were finished in time for the february rush, but the majority only towards the end of the season, so I doubt many people have stayed there. Sounds like a good deal and location wise it's great as it's pretty much ski in/out. There's an intersport on site but it might be a bit of a walk across to soleil/villages for a beer. Just a short nip down the hill and the numpty lift to get up to Plagne centre, so dead easy to make lessons (if that's your thing) - if not then it's still dead easy to get around from.

Have a search on here for la plagne & eating (or pM boredsurfing) as there's been some good threads on places to eat.
ski holidays
Just found out the hotel check in desks only open from 9am - 12pm then 5pm - 9pm.

I think we should arrive about 1:30pm local time >_<
latest report
Neil wrote:
Just found out the hotel check in desks only open from 9am - 12pm then 5pm - 9pm.

I think we should arrive about 1:30pm local time >_<

And? there's a kit rental shop outside the door..get changed in the toilets, find somewhere to drop your luggage (putting the key valuables in a back pack) and go skiing...
ski holidays
.....As long as theres somewhere to store the bags then yeah, great. But why would there be someone there to let you into a secure storage room, that person might as well just check us in.

For me, the whole point of an early flight is so a person can get to the hotel and secure a good room and peferably not have to cue to check in for ages. by 5 i imagine its going to be chaos at the check in desk.

I think its Ludicrous that the desk isnt manned from 12 till 5.
snow report
Neil, if you want a day in Les Arcs you should look at the Paradiski Decouverte (Discovery) pass. http://www.la-plagne.com/en/winter-holidays/ski-area/lift-pass/paradiski-decouverte.html
snow conditions
Neil wrote:
.....As long as theres somewhere to store the bags then yeah, great. But why would there be someone there to let you into a secure storage room, that person might as well just check us in.

For me, the whole point of an early flight is so a person can get to the hotel and secure a good room and peferably not have to cue to check in for ages. by 5 i imagine its going to be chaos at the check in desk.

It's france mate - they do things differently to us - besides even though the receptionist has to stop for lunch, doesn't mean the whole place will be empty.

Are you booking through a tour operator - as per your posts above, in which case they'll have a plan to allow people to get on the slopes on arrival I would hope.

Do you have an email for the hotel, try emailing them and chances are they'll say something like use the big room on the ground floor - I've done that several times, leaving all the kit there and just taking the valuables (& passport) in a backpack up the hill. Not been an issue although you're a bit nervous. The ski hire place 'might' and it's a big might have lockers (little unusual for that location I'd guess) or a local bar/restaurant may provide a 'bag minding service'

I certainly wouldn't stress about it and I would think about trying to get skiing on the afternoon of arrival..

Enjoy the trip..
ski holidays
bertie bassett wrote:
Neil wrote:

It's france mate - they do things differently to us - besides even though the receptionist has to stop for lunch, doesn't mean the whole place will be empty.

Are you booking through a tour operator - as per your posts above, in which case they'll have a plan to allow people to get on the slopes on arrival I would hope.

Do you have an email for the hotel, try emailing them and chances are they'll say something like use the big room on the ground floor - I've done that several times, leaving all the kit there and just taking the valuables (& passport) in a backpack up the hill. Not been an issue although you're a bit nervous. The ski hire place 'might' and it's a big might have lockers (little unusual for that location I'd guess) or a local bar/restaurant may provide a 'bag minding service'

I certainly wouldn't stress about it and I would think about trying to get skiing on the afternoon of arrival..

Enjoy the trip..

Dam man, a 5 hour lunch break?! I might move to France if thats how they do things!

I will try contacting the hotel and tour opp before we leave to arrange check in.
I would rather just get checked in and settled etc. We wanted a 9am flight so we could get to the hotel before most people. I know there are two different room sizes and I was under the impression that for the larger ones it doesnt matter who books what, most of the time its first come first to get.

Plus I know most Europeans dont understand the concept of queing. And I can only imagine how busy its going to be come 5pm with everyone arriving between 12 and 5 wanting to get checked in. It wont matter who arrived first, Someone could be standing at the check in desk for 5 hours and come 5pm, it would make any difference, its going to be a hectic free for all!!! And I didnt want to have to have a queing argument with someone till I get to the ski lift!
ski holidays
Neil, Have a look at the this old thread from last Feb on the RG La Plagne forum/website (it's in French but you can use Google translate) I was there in August I can assure you all is now completed Very Happy
http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=732&p=40285#p40279
ski holidays
Neil wrote:
We wanted a 9am flight so we could get to the hotel before most people.

Ok so 9am flight (departure?) arrives c. 11:30 local time. Allow 30 minutes for baggage reclaim and to get to the bus. Allow another 30 minutes to wait for the Manchester flight (or vice versa). 2 hours to the car park in Moutiers to re-shuffle coaches. Allow another 90 minutes to get to resort (more if it's busy) - might not be so far from that 5pm arrival time..

I'm joking a little - but it can take anywhere between 3 hours to 8 hours plus from leaving the airport (LYS / GVA) to getting to a Tarentaise resort. Very dependent on when (time of year) you are going and also road/snow conditions or a bit less if flying into Chambery (provided the plane isn't diverted)

I think you should not worry about it too much, given you have very little control over the outcome.
snow conditions
not long now!
This time next week I should be sitting in a bar in la plagne!
Let the Apres ski comence!

My misses brothers booked the same holiday as us, same hotel even but a week later. Its just a strange coincidence, wasnt planned! It would have been even stranger if it was the same week!
snow conditions
I am a little worried about the possibility of flights being canceled out of gatwick on Saturday...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy