Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arc This season

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone! Its been a while since ive been on!

I really want to get out to Les Arc this ski season, never been. I have done a few searches from London to Les Arc for January but it all comes back with £500+

If I want to go Les Arc, do I have to pay £500+ pp? We dont have to go during January but would prefer it.

Any help or recomendations very welcome!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Neil, you won't get any cheaper than January. Are you on your own? What kind of accommodation? January is v low season - you could wait for a last minute deal. Or get a group together and book an apartment, self catering.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What kind of accommodation are you looking for? How many in your group? Four people sharing a car from the UK and booking a cheap self-catering apartment would probably come to less than £500 per head for a January trip.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just me and the GF on this trip. No one else can make January. We dont mind to much about accomodation. Was looking at cheap hotels.
I have a Audi A8. Its a 4.2L so would have to be careful with the right foot on way IF i drove or it wouldnt be worth driving to save money. The good thing is though, its also a Quattro 4wd.

Unless I get more people together, it wouldnt be cost effective to drive would it?

Anyone out there picked up any amazing Les Arc ski deals for January?!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Neil, if it's just the two of you, it's probably worth waiting for a last-minute deal. January is a quiet month & there are usually plenty about. Catered chalets tend to work out cheaper than hotels, because there's no problem about bringing in your own alcohol, & (in our experience) the wine with dinner tends to be more copious & of better quality Toofy Grin Also, if you're not particularly outgoing, you can find yourself a little isolated in a hotel, whereas in a chalet everyone tends to eat around the same table & so you get to know people rather better. After all, you've all got a big interest in common, so conversation flows pretty easily... snowHead

We find that, as a couple who can usually get away at fairly short notice, TO deals work out much cheaper than DIY (& we both have quite thirsty cars as well, although perhaps not so thirsty as yours Toofy Grin so we've found that flight plus car hire is at least as cheap as driving if you do decide on DIY).

You could always consider La Plagne as well - great area in its own right (IMO) & but a short hop on the Vanoise Express to Les Arcs, especially if you stay in Les Coches/Montchavin...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Neil,

Go to www.fasttrackski.co.uk.
I used these last year and they were very good deals.

The later the better for two of you but you can get some good early deals.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dunno why you don't just sort out your own flights, transfer/carhire, and private accommodation. There is plenty to shoose from just on this site alone.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a similar query about our proposed trip to Les Arc this Janauary. Part of the reason for going in January is that it isn't too long to wait and it is partly down to the cost due to it being 'low season'; will the fact that it is low season have any considerable negative impact on our holiday? Or, to put it another way, what are the tangible differences between high and low seasons?

Kind regards, Nick
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
n1ckster wrote:
Hi, sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a similar query about our proposed trip to Les Arc this Janauary. Part of the reason for going in January is that it isn't too long to wait and it is partly down to the cost due to it being 'low season'; will the fact that it is low season have any considerable negative impact on our holiday? Or, to put it another way, what are the tangible differences between high and low seasons?

Kind regards, Nick

High Season = high prices (accommodation), long q's for everything, delays on transfer day, hideously busy pistes, busy mountain resto's / bars etc, scores of screaming kids

Low Season = Reverse of the above = WIN Laughing

January should be fine snow-wise - was fab last year - and otherwise it's a winner compared to February with very little downside. Very early (Pre xmas) and late (post easter) you run the risk of poorer snow cover.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
n1ckster, We have been in Jan & March for the last 4 years, & the main difference is the lifts open half an hour later & close earlier in Jan. Its quieter in jan & colder. Have always been lucky with the snow though Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Phew, that is what I was hoping to hear!! Going fairly early in the year means I may even sneak a 2nd trip later on........
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
a no-brainer really, high season is for families generally with children of school age.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok great, thanks!

Do the last minute deals normally only do accomodation only or are they all in packages still? with a last min deal is it worth doing it all seperate or worth getting an all in package because its a last minute deal and pretty cheap anyway?

At the moment the plan is to wait till the start of January and book a last minute deal. Also, if its a deal you book yourself, do you still get invited on the pub crawls and the arranged apres ski stuff?!
Will see whats about Jan, Package or not. Depending on whats out there.

I would like to have a Chalet in plan peisey. I have never had an issue with not meeting friends while skiing but it would be nice to try a chalet for once. I like the idea of everyone sitting around the same table and chatting.
I am tempted to get the flights and a hire car seperatly. That way we could escape to other villages if we dont like the people in our chalet! Plus I would like to go explore the other villiages anyway.
I am worried though that if I hire a car, and break a bone (have done twice before as anyone who does a search under my name will know!) that there would be an issue getting back to the airport with me unabled to drive! I doubt the misses will feel confident to drive a hire car in snow and ice. She hasnt had much driving experience.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went in late jan last year, no queues and the apartment was £250 for 7 nights. Snow was great too!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Neil, a freind and I are planing on a catered chalet in plan peisey from the 9th of Jan. We are probably going to book using Skibeat.co.uk and I notice on their website that you can book a chalet through them and make your own independent travel arrangements should you wish.

Nick
latest report
narc wrote:
I went in late jan last year, no queues and the apartment was £250 for 7 nights. Snow was great too!

What Appartment was it? I guess that didnt include ski passes? How much were they? Did you make your own arrangemets getting there? What did you do? Fly drive?

n1ckster wrote:
Hi Neil, a freind and I are planing on a catered chalet in plan peisey from the 9th of Jan. We are probably going to book using Skibeat.co.uk and I notice on their website that you can book a chalet through them and make your own independent travel arrangements should you wish.

Nick

When will you be booking? Who knows, we may end up in the same chalet?! I want to book plan peisey from the 9th of Jan also! If we dont end up in the same one, we should at least meet for a drink somewhere?
latest report
Neil wrote:
Do the last minute deals normally only do accomodation only or are they all in packages still? with a last min deal is it worth doing it all seperate or worth getting an all in package because its a last minute deal and pretty cheap anyway?

They're usually the full package with flights & transfers included. For two people, it can be much cheaper than DIY... TBH, the idea of a 'package tour' was anathema to me when I started to ski, but seriously, it makes good financial sense Toofy Grin

Quote:
I would like to have a Chalet in plan peisey. I have never had an issue with not meeting friends while skiing but it would be nice to try a chalet for once. I like the idea of everyone sitting around the same table and chatting.
I am tempted to get the flights and a hire car seperatly. That way we could escape to other villages if we dont like the people in our chalet! Plus I would like to go explore the other villages anyway.

You don't have to ski with them, you know! And the area will be big enough to escape, even if they're determined to ski with you... Twisted Evil
But if you do decide to organise your own transport, you will most probably find (certainly for areas such as Paradiski, 3V & EK) that the cost of transfers for two people is similar to that of car hire, so it's worth looking into (but do consider parking as well, not always cheap in resort!).
ski holidays
Parking is free in Plan Peisey at the moment wink
latest report
Neil wrote:
narc wrote:

What Appartment was it? I guess that didnt include ski passes? How much were they? Did you make your own arrangemets getting there? What did you do? Fly drive?

No, ski pass was on top of that! I found it through the holiday lettings website, can't remember the name but it was in arc 2000, if you have a look there you should be able to find it.

I went off the end of a business trip in Paris so took the TGV to BSM station, bought my food for the week there cheaply and then took the funicular up to the resort.
snow conditions
I got another two friends coming now. So hopefully it should work out well for us. Still thinking about trying to catch a last minute deal
ski holidays
Anyone ever stayed in Les Hauts Bois La Plange?

Am I right in thinking that La Plange is the "cheapest" way to access the Paradaski areas? It seems like an extream budget version of Arc 1800?

Any experiances? 350pp for January including flights and transfers done seem bad? Based on an appartment that sleeps 10 with 4 bedrooms
snow conditions
The Paradiski pass (which enables you to use the vanoise express for more than 1 day) is more expensive than a local les arcs or la plange pass, so you'll need to factor that in, and I find quite enough in both individual areas to keep me busy for a week.
ski holidays
Neil

1) It's La Plagne - doesn't rhyme with flange

2) Not much difference in price AFAIK between Les Arcs / La Plagne - different prices/comfort/ease of access levels between different areas of the resort(s) - cheapest often last minute TO deals - or hostel type accommodation

3) Not stayed in Hauts Bois, but it's probably no more than 5 or 6 years old so can't be too grotty. It's in Aime la plagne which is probably one of the most soul-less parts of La Plagne. But you can tele-metro across to plagne centre until late in the evening which gives you access to a better range of bars/restos etc. Won't get much in the way of evening sunshine either IIRC.

Skiing wise - Could get to Vanoise Express in 2 lifts if my understanding of the new lift out of 1800 is correct, but somewhere between 15 minutes and 30 minute skiing depending on how fast you ski. Quick access to some of the most interesting black terrain in LP directly available above Aime. Easy access to Plagne centre on skis.

4) 350 sounds like not a bad deal - you could easily spend £100 on flights, £70 to £100 on transfers leaving around £150 each for the accommodation for the week. Expect that 2 people might well be sleeping on sofa-beds in lounge and /or 'cote d'mountain' aka bunk beds in the corridor.
snow report
bertie bassett,
Quote:

Skiing wise - Could get to Vanoise Express in 2 lifts if my understanding of the new lift out of 1800 is correct,

Seems so, that hadn't occured to me Very Happy
snow report
Hello all, sorry for a potential hi-jacking, but I was wondering if there is much difference between the towns of Les Arcs? Are anyone of them more fun/better to stay in that the others?

thanks
snow conditions
200, 150 and 50 metres wink 1800 is the biggest i think? (please correct if im wrong) and 2000 more likely to get shutdown by bad weather.
latest report
Dublinfella wrote:
Hello all, sorry for a potential hi-jacking, but I was wondering if there is much difference between the towns of Les Arcs? Are anyone of them more fun/better to stay in that the others?

thanks

Not that much to choose between any of them - all have plus/minus points

2000 - easy access to Ag. Rouge and blacks below, definitiely purpose built, some good nightlife
1950 - similar access to 2000, but can ski /pole back to front door 'disney type' resort, more expensive bars/restos - more champagne cocktails than 2 for 1 apres ski. Good for families
1600 - good for access to /from BSM e.g. if arriving by train. Dunno about nightlift. Good for tree skiing.
1800 - biggest resort, 3 main sectors a little fragmented. largest choice of bars/restaurants, has kebab shop and nightclub!
Peisey-Vallandry - easy access to Vanoise Express, Good tree skiing local (but only 1 lift away from 1800), 3 decent bars (all close @ 1:30) and a few good restaurants, 'low-rise' buildings and more sympathetic development (generally) than 2000/1800.

Enjoy whichever resort you end up in!
ski holidays
bertie bassett, is it a pain to get from Les Arcs 1600 up into the higher areas?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bertie bassett,

Don't forget that 2000 and 1950 are also only 1 lift away from the Vanoise (Bois de L'Ours)

Twitchy87, Not sure that 2000/1950 have ever been completely closed in the 20 weeks I've been there, albeit I admit, oftentimes the Aguille Rouges is a goner. You just gotta know where to go, and how to get there!
latest report
Christopher wrote:
bertie bassett, is it a pain to get from Les Arcs 1600 up into the higher areas?

No - Les Arcs is quite compact and so most bits are no more than one or two lift/runs away from other bits. In your case take the cachette out of 1600 (main 6 seater) and the it's just a short ski-across to the new (for 09/10 season) arpette lift, which will be a quick 6 seater which takes you upto the ridge between 16/1800 and 2000 bowl. From here you can easily ski across to the VE or down into 2000 sector and pickup Varet for example to go to the top of the Ag. Rouge.

JimW wrote:
bertie bassett,
Don't forget that 2000 and 1950 are also only 1 lift away from the Vanoise (Bois de L'Ours)

Or if you want to get their quickly then Marmottes and Arcabule are the way forward.
snow report
bertie bassett wrote:
Neil

1) It's La Plagne - doesn't rhyme with flange

Puzzled oppps sorry! Laughing snowHead

Looks like there will be four of us now. My mate, his gf, my gf and myself. Looking for self-catering as its a preference. Im a fussy eater! We will make sure we dont eat out EVERY night though to maintain costs are low.

I have just found some Arc1800 places for early Jan fairly cheap on directski.com

Résidences Maeva Les Pagodes du Charvet
£249 9th January 7 nights
# Nearest Lift: 50m snowHead
# Resort Centre: 100m snowHead
http://www.directski.com/ski/france/les_arcs/residences_maeva_les_pagodes_du_charvet?duration=7&select_week=10_6

Résidence Le Thuria-Le Ruitor
£309 9th January 7 nights
http://www.directski.com/ski/france/les_arcs/residence_le_ruitor?duration=7&select_week=10_6

Résidence Le Belmont
£309 9th January 7 nights
in my opnion, its a little too far away from arc1800
http://www.directski.com/ski/france/les_arcs/residence_le_belmont?duration=7&select_week=10_6

There are a few others but I have discounted them for various reasons such as too far from les arc, bad reviews etc.
Going to hunt out reviews for the above now, has anyone else stayed in these? I am actually warming to the idea of arc1800 now because the people i am going with has changed.
snow report
http://www.igluski.com/les-arcs-1800/rsidence-maeva-charvet-et-villards---2-rooms-5-persons_p26568?holidayid=22158080&Oid=8817233

Puzzled im confused to what this means... Puzzled

£464 per unit
Prices are per unit based on 2 sharing

Per unit is per appartment or is a unit a person?
ski holidays
Thanks for the info, looks like either 2000 or 1800, as you prefer to have the chance of some freestyle dance-offs late into the night, otherwise, what's the point in life?
snow report
Neil, sounds like a unit is person Skullie
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, Nice to know they treat their customers as units Shocked

cheers ffor that info, looks easy on the piste map.
snow report
I stayed in Arc 2000 and it was dead in the evening, you can get to 1950 easily via the gondola though. It has Aguille Rouge to ski (well worth it if the weather is decent) but other than that the skiing around that area isn't good imo despite what it looks like on the map, I spent most of my time around grand col and vallandry.

The other issue is that if it is bad weather you end up stuck over with lift closures, twice I had to get the bus back and once get the bus over to 1800/1600 in 8 days skiing and each time it was rammed and took ages.
ski holidays
Think I will aim to stay around arc1800 then.

anyone stayed in
Résidences Maeva Les Pagodes du Charvet, Résidence Le Thuria-Le Ruitor or Résidence Le Belmont?
snow report
bertie bassett,

Have timed it, it's about the same elapsed (queue length at Arcabulle being the determining factor), although granted skiing is slightly faster and more down hill that way.

Neil, Don't know the 1800 residences, but Maeva are iirc a mid-range P&V brand, not their MGM, so may be a bit small: if you are in a place "for four", that could well translate as " for four dwarves".
latest report
JimW wrote:

Neil, Don't know the 1800 residences, but Maeva are iirc a mid-range P&V brand, not their MGM, so may be a bit small: if you are in a place "for four", that could well translate as " for four dwarves".

yeah it does look tiny from the pictures, reviews say its a bit cramped also. think i am looking at Résidence Le Thuria-Le Ruitor at the moment
snow conditions
JimW wrote:
bertie bassett,

Twitchy87, Not sure that 2000/1950 have ever been completely closed in the 20 weeks I've been there, albeit I admit, oftentimes the Aguille Rouges is a goner. You just gotta know where to go, and how to get there!

I spent the '07-08 season in BSM- while the 2000 side may not have closed completely, they typically get more snow and have fewer trees, so visibility can be a big issue in a storm...My plan was always to ski the 1600/1800 side during storms and go to 2000 after the storm to enjoy more powder. Connections are pretty good, but can close during a storm as was pointed out.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy