Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowdome proposed for huge empty coal mine in Northumbria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The nation's biggest opencast coal mine - Stobswood in Northumberland - could be transformed into a snowdome, along with an Olympic-sized swimming pool.

It's certainly a spectacular site - the existing void (now empty of coal) is 140m deep.

This report from BBC Online. Anyone know the location?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like it's in Widdrington.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David, you've told us many times of the ratio of actual snowdomes to planned snowdomes! Any feeling as to the viability of this one?

I like the idea of a swimming pool included - would that be at the end of the slope?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
masopa, that's a big hole!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ian. As you know, we have 3 operational snowdomes in Britain. I couldn't give you an accurate figure of other proposals (which began around 1989), most of which come with magnificent architects' impressions, but it's got to be 60 to 100, I should think.

You must appreciate.....snowdomes are very fashionable at the moment, and fun to dream about! Even Aviemore had a snowdome project at one time.

As for the pool, heat exchange (which could also include some nice hot spa pools if they want) is a handy concept if you're building a giant freezer.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Close to Morpeth in Northumberland, not too far from our friends, who live in Widdrington.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

As for the pool, heat exchange (which could also include some nice hot spa pools if they want) is a handy concept if you're building a giant freezer.

You're right David, this is precisely why the Tamworth Snowdome sports complex includes a swimming pool -the waste heat from the refrigeration plant being used to heat the water.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like it could be a nice steep run straight down the side of the mine Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Living in Northumberland myself I would welcome this project with open arms. Financially I am not so sure.

Regionally Sunderland has a dry slope but this isn't well attended. The small one in Gateshead is closed for all intends and purposes. When they are new there were a lot of interest but in a longer term the situation is different.The Swimming pool/sport centre at the Sunderland town centre was covered by the Europe biggest space roof and was the place for the kids to go but eventually it was transformed into a shopping centre.

Haven't visited UK's snowdome yet but I think size does matter. Holland has a modest snowdome near Ijmuiden (ferry link with Newcastle). Its slopes are reasonable and the small complex is holding up well apparently. Anybody using Newcastle/Amsterdam ferry route to ski can drop in. It is only 15min from the port and a nice place to kill a couple of hours if arrive early for the ferry.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good point. The Dutch and Germans are now showing the way (as far as Europe is concerned) with snowdomes. Spain has one too. I think land costs and tight planning controls may be restricting the size of them here.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowdomes;love em or hate them,that is the question.I happen to be a defender of them(Tamworth member NehNeh )We would all love to spend our time on the "real" stuff,but we can't Crying or Very sad I have a feeling that with the predicted(and likely)reduction in snow cover across Europe,and a very real chance of season change,and shortening;we will continue to see projected Snowdome plans.Most will never see the light of day.There is,in my opinion,room for 2 more in the UK;the far North and the deep South.However,I'm equaly sure any developer will give Castleford a few years to prove its viability before sinking millions into another.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There's one proposed for here too ~ Southport. There've been mumblings about it for a couple of years, but the latest chunner seems to be indicating that it really might be a go-er.

Southport's had a variety of failed projects over the last 20yrs, so nobody here is holding their breath. Mindyou, a lot of money has been injected into the town recently, so you just never know. Got my fingers crossed anyway!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lollie, Southport would be a cool location....although I'm sure my parents who live in Sefton would be keen to know that it was being privately funded and not a council tax "investment".
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
to be honest I hope it goes ahead - they are saying it will be the 'biggest' in Europe and it is only five mins away from me wink

wud hopefully keep my ski legs in tune at least
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy