Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel or Courchevel?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Christopher, As rob@rar says, it may be ill-advised, but you haven't really given us an idea of your skiing level. Conditions on it vary enormously, and it is often closed (they normally open it once it has been well-skied, i.e. big bumps Puzzled ) and the ridge to get to it can be tricky - I've taken 12-week skiers who have been 'uncomfortable' on it. If you are happy on fairly large moguls, around 38-degree slope, and a track about one ski-width wide in places, it's worth a go, otherwise, leave it 'till another time... it's not going anywhere.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Patch, I think thats probably good advise. I'll be tempted, but have to resist those temptations. I dont really know how steep 38 degress is tbh. I know around 40 is very seep. I can deal with fairly large moguls, but I dont think on anything incredibly steep.

Skiing ability is hard to describe, I can do and get safely down all black runs where I go skiing in serre Chevalier, but not with any style on the real steep stuff.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Christopher,
Quote:

I dont really know how steep 38 degress is tbh. I know around 40 is very seep.

The slope under the Yret chair at Monetier is said to be around 35 degrees for comparison.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Austrian steepest groomed piste "Harakiri" in Mayrhofen is 78% or 38 degree. The snowbasher needs to be winched in order to groom it.

One can bet any groomed piste will not be much steeper than 38 degree but ungroomed black runs can be steeper.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Check out the "How difficult is the Gd Couloir" thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46356
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar, I have yet to do that. Passed over it and eyed it up every time Ive been over that lift, which considering it serves my favourite pistes thats quite a few. I wouldn''t consider that to be that steep, although Im sure I would answer differently when standing at the top.

The amount I've improved in my first 4 weeks of skiing. I hope that come the 3rd of 4th week of skiing which is when I'll be in that area I may have come on enough, although I know the learning curve is going to become much steeper.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
M is a better run than the Grand Couloir IMO
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
M is a better run than the Grand Couloir IMO

Yes, that's one of my favourite black pistes. A consistently steep pitch all the way down, great views and no scary ridge to access it Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and with bumps on a sod of a long way rolling eyes there is a faily challenging red run that drops down almost through a couloir down to t rolling eyes e main saluire piste just off M that is one of the more challenging reds in the area as well
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dan100, M does get pisted occassionally like the GC. The red is very good you mention really that whole face is skiable and really good fun. There is a sharp left just prior to the red that takes you into the colouir Belgue (not sure of spelling) that doesnt seem to be listed on the maps anymore. It was a piste then itinerary like the GC. Easy and wide open but just has one big rock to worry about. great skiing and usually very deep snow, dumps you back onto the combe piste.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For one day - always buy a 3V pass, then the world is yours
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thebrownslug, yeah but for how much more? On a relatively tight budget as it is.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm pretty sure it would be less than 10 Euro difference between a 1 day 1V and a 1 day 3V - Its a no brainer!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In fact check out merinet.com the lift prices are on there for 09/10 its 7.5 Euro diff between a Meribel Valley and a 3 Valley.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't go to val thorens, It may be higher than courchevel but the snow will be nicer in courchevel as it won't have been destroyed by the wind and the runs in courchevel are far more varied and interesting. If you class yourself as an adeventurous intermediate at way below 21 then you should be ok with GD couloir. I did it in my 3rd week skiing, the ridge is scary but its nowhere near as hard as its made out to be.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy