Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travelling to La Grave

Poster: A snowHead
Now I have the Utah trip organised in March/April - time to look at February snowHead

There is an SKGB guided trip at La Grave which looks sweet. But it does not include flights/transfers...

What do people recommend?

Train >Grenoble?
Fly Lyon/GVA/Grenoble?
Taxi/bus from Grenoble?

I am half minded to to Ashford>Paris, Paris>Grenoble then taxi... but wonder how much the taxi would cost.
Alternatively LCY>GVA, then train > grenoble and Taxi/bus? ... too much choice Sad

Any ideas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stoatsbrother, just hire a car from the airport, it will probably be cheaper and give you more flexibility
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kristof, I don't need flexibility - only to get there and back. But I take your point - and if a bunch of us were together... might be worth a try
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hiring a car will almost certainly be cheaper than a taxi; bus is an option but there are only a couple per day IIRC. you could get a bus to Bourg d'Oisans (pretty frequent) then a taxi on from there. at a guess the taxi ride would still be EUR50-60 minimum

skiers lodge used to do a minibus pickup from grenoble station on changeover days - may be worth investigating

edit: thinking further - that 2 per day figure might be 2 direct from Lyon airport. could well be more from Grenoble station
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fly to Grenoble, bus to city bus station and then a bus all the way to the resort. Easy.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stoatsbrother, February? La Grave? Hmmmmmm that sounds like you're wimping out of the annual tree fiddling fest to me.... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's a bus from Grenoble to Briançon which may or may not stop in La Grave.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stoatsbrother,

Last bus out of Grenoble to LG was 1730. and you will be hard pushed to make Grenoble by train before that...

If you can get the Ashford train into Paris by 1017..you need an hour to cross Paris..
Not sure what time the direct train the Grenoble goes but I caught one around 14:00 IIRC..and missed the bus by inches...

I have the old bus timetables but am not sure they are still applicable..

These were weekday times, I think..

One way bus tickets will be about 20eu from the station..

The train is a great way to travel..IMV... but they don't make this trip that easy to tie up...

Car hire is supposed to be silly money this year.. haven't gone into it yet..so you need to pair up with people
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Schuss in Boots, No - La Grave is my late february holiday - everyone knows tree-fiddling is early feb!

JT, Thanks - I might do the friday night Ashford train and TGV early in the morning- but not sure I can bear schlepping to the Gare de Lyon at midnight...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 7-09-09 19:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hitch!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, bus to Briancon is timed to link up with the Paris TGV, so should depart after it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother, Done that trip twice.. Eurostar to Paris, TGV to Grenoble... think we got to Grenoble at 16:15 - bus went at 16:30...... just be aware that if the Col Du Lauteret is closed, there's no bus back...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stoatsbrother, Ah OK, so this will just be a splinter trip then Toofy Grin Enjoy Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, It didn't two seasons ago... departed at 1730 and I arrived just a tad later than that... as per schedule but later...

stoatsbrother, can't recall why I had to catch that train... but as you can get to G D Nord by 1017...then that could put you in range for a train leaving south by 1130...
the Grenoble service was direct and did not stop at Lyon.. which I thought was odd... maybe if you faffed about you could make a connection that would work via Lyon..

If the above examples were doable at 1615, then that would be perfect..as I say, can't recall why I had to get the late train in..but missing that bus was a major hassle to me so I would not have gotten that train at that time by choice...
I would not have thought there were many direct trains south out per day though... just saying..!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, they've altered the bus timetable
latest report
stoatsbrother Another vote from me for hiring a car.
As you already said, if a bunch of you hook up together it will be the most practical and least expensive option; also, you'd be really pop for being able to offer away-day transport to a neighbouring resort (Serre Che, Les 2 Alpes, Alpe d'Huez) in return for fuel/beer money contribution Idea
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots wrote:
stoatsbrother, February? La Grave? Hmmmmmm that sounds like you're wimping out of the annual tree fiddling fest to me.... Madeye-Smiley

Trust you to stick your trunk in. Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley
latest report
geepee, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
As I mentioned before, I've taken the ski train, got out at Chambery v early in the morning. There are trains every few minutes to Grenoble (1 hour) Then catch the bus (bus station is continuous with the station). If times of buses don't work take a LDA bus to the dam and then get your hotel to send a car along the valley to pick you up.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 8-09-09 21:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:
Now I have the Utah trip organised in March/April - time to look at February snowHead

There is an SCGB guided trip at La Grave which looks sweet. But it does not include flights/transfers...

What do people recommend?

Train >Grenoble?
Fly Lyon/GVA/Grenoble?
Taxi/bus from Grenoble?

I am half minded to to Ashford>Paris, Paris>Grenoble then taxi... but wonder how much the taxi would cost.
Alternatively LCY>GVA, then train > grenoble and Taxi/bus? ... too much choice Sad

Any ideas?

Car hire for the 'local' section?
¬
snow conditions
Travel light and get to Grenoble by any convenient means, bus to L2A and ski over Very Happy
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, http://www.skierslodge.com/contact/ gives details of buses etc to La Grave, seems to be more journeys and different times to the Serre Chevalier bus.
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
Travel light and get to Grenoble by any convenient means, bus to L2A and ski over Very Happy
I always wanted to do that but had too much luggage - wasn't sure if they would let me up the lifts with a suitcase (actually not that hard skiing with one case in each hand - I tried it down a piste when I was staying at the top of one once, though I'm not sure about the Bananne). Lots more buses to L2A than La Grave.
snow report
snowball wrote:
Lots more buses to L2A than La Grave.

exactly- bus to the dam - then hitch

or just hitch it is not difficult
snow conditions
snowball, That is really useful info - if getting from there to La Grave is that easy - might be one solution.

Anyway - the holiday is booked - but trains not bookable till 22/10/09...

Thanks for all this info - I will bookmark this thread

Helen Beaumont, that is a cracking link - thanks. snowHead
latest report
I considered doing one of the SCGB La Grave holiday but I'm going for the late March one at Andermatt instead. I've skied La Grave several times but have never seen Andermatt (though I skied there for one day in a whiteout snowstorm when the lifts were closed at Engelberg).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy