Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Livigno - in the middle of the December. Any info please.

Poster: A snowHead
I have an opportunity to join a trip to Livigno this December. From 12th - 19th.
Price is very tempting - £195 Euros per person for nice apartment in central location with 6 days Ski Pass INCLUDED. Shocked
+ costs of getting there of course. That might not be so easy.

Would anyone have some experience of the snow there in December, how hard they gonna try to open all terrain at that time of year? How good is snowmaking there?

I've been around the same time in Obertauern 2 years ago and the resort was in full swing - but from what I heard some resorts really kick off at Christmas week.

Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 7-09-09 14:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tom W, Dont know about the conditions then but at least you will have a cheap holiday for that money! That said Livigno is a cr@p resort IMO!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Livigno is snow sure one
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roy Hockley, heh it wasn't on my list of resorts to visit any time soon but as some friends are going there I will give it a thought....
Putting aside the trouble of getting there, it sounds for me like free accommodation included in the lift pass Very Happy , really good price in the already cheap resort
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn't say Livigno a Cr@p resort.

I visited it from a day trip off Davos and St Moritz and would say snow condition wise it is the Italian version of St Moritz.

It is a small resort, with 110km piste, with a bit of everything, hidden away at the far side of Lombary with at least one access mountain pass closed in the winter making it a skiing haven with spectacular views. The resort is quite flat with skiing runs on both sides of the valley.

Experienced skiers may want something larger and with more challenging terrian but it is a little gem on its own, with a differnt Alpine charm and quite popular with the British visitors. I believe this place has better than average snow in Christmas.

I have read the transfer time to this resort can be long. The access from the Swiss side is by a single lane tunnel believed to be built by the people who constructed the dam and the reservoir. The view of this resevoir in winter is fantastic.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
i'd agree its a lovely spot the free bus runs all day and until laste so you can vary your apres ski every night
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tom W, Just go, you'll have fun. Not the biggest resort but fine for a week and if you like blasting down fat blues and reds it's great for getting your carving skills up to speed. It's got a couple of ok blacks which are usually left alone for those that like them and the food's good, supermarket booze and fags VERY cheap. The place is nice one to start the season with and at that price you can afford a week or two elsewhere in the season.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tom W, I would imagine pre-Xmas Livigno could be very quiet. Very, very quiet. Which, if I've read your post right, might not be a good thing, but for others, myself included, a large plus.

Getting there might not be that cheap either. Flights might not be a problem, but it is a fair way from most airports (closest Innsbruck?). And a long way to drive also, if that was your plan.

If it ends up costing more to get there than the accom/lift pass, it might not be such a deal. And there always seem to be bargain basement TO deals to Livigno. Always. We got out there for £320 (flts,tfrs, b&b accom,LP) booked late, and staying in what could only be described as one of the best apartments I've ever stayed, though it was only San Rocco. Some on the same trip did it for £220, but the accom..................

Snow sure it may be, but the snow when we went was not the best, off piste had been "banned", and a bit bare, even late Jan. And, obviously depending on your own ability, I found the slopes pretty tame/boring.

Having been to Livigno once, I have no real urgency to rush back there, however. And, despite the duty-free status, I didn't find it particularly cheaper than other places in Italy (about 8 years ago).

The free bus service is there for a very good reason, too.............

But if you "need" an excuse to go, the deal you've been offered seems as good as any.

John.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the info. Looks like I will be heading there. Last year their park was shaped on the first week of December! so maybe it is a good sign that most pistes will be open by the time we arrive.

Plan for me is to do 3 weeks this season, so it might be a good start, if I do not join them ...I might end up doing one trip just on my own and this could be expensive and a bit uncomfortable as well.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tom W, It sounds a fantastic price and worth going for the break!

As BCjohnny, would probably concur it is not a place you will rush back to! If you are a beginner, Livigno has some great slopes at the back of most of the hotels they are only about 200m long but very easily accessible. I have to say that it is IMO not a great resort but I hope you will have fun, and at time of the year although it will be quiet you will at least be able to slide. Or you should be able to.

Have fun.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Roy Hockley, exactly, as I mentioned this place was not on my list but... I can go there with the group and for reasonable price - or the alternative will be a solo trip which is always difficult.

Flattering terrain will only do good to me I think. Checked lots of photos/reviews already and I like it. My last trips were to lower Austrian resorts so I look forward to enjoy high mountains.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Roy Hockley, Enjoy! I am only envious as I have not organised anything yet. I hope to get over before xmas, but!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tom W, It's not high mountains as the town's valley is pretty high itself. Livigno's is not a hard-on ski resort, it's a holiday destination, treat it as such and you'll have a great time. I keep going back because it's a place to chill, eat well, easy craique and slide as and where I want to. It's a perfect place to ease your head into the snow. Treat it as a vacation not a ski trip and you'll have a good time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roy Hockley, all of a sudden I have 2 trips almost sorted, second being Schladming in January.
For last one though I might wait for some cracking last minute deals, hope there will be some Very Happy

Masque, nicely said: ease your head into the snow. And chill out ... Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
when i wentto Livigno in 2008 i booked a package with now defunct Panorama (now in Neilson) i booked about 6 weeks before and got a bargain price of £265 each for studio including flight transfers and rep, its worth considering a package, due to the cost of transfer, only slight draw back is the coach doesn't use the toll motorways so probably takes 45 mins more than if you were in car yourself, also they are not using Bergamo now, but milan's 3rd airport a little further away, but the timings are good, its an early saturday morning flight, and you get to resort about 1pm-2pm, so plenty of time to get ready for the next day's skiing, coming back you leave about 2am, but are back on uk soil by 11:30am
ski holidays
cockerhoop, package will be easier in this case for sure, but as I am joining people that booked already I will stick to DIY.
With cheap flights now it should still work out around £330 with Ski Pass included which is not bad!
snow conditions
LIVIGNO IS NOT A CHEAP RESORT, I WENT LAST YEAR AND IT WAS THE SAME PRICE FOR FOOD AND DRINK AS AUSTRIAN RESORTS, AND I WOULD NEVER GO NEAR LIVIGNO AGAIN EVEN IF I GOT IT FREE, ITS A poo-poo PLACE AND SIX TO SEVEN HOURS ON A COUCH FROM AIRPORT WAS A NIGHTMERE, THE SNOW WAS DEEP UP TO 5 FEET. PEOPLE DO LIKE LIVIGNO BUT NOWAY WAS IT FOR ME, EVEN THE BARS WRE CRAP THE FEW THAT ARE THERE AND THERE IS NO ASPRE SKI BECAUSE THE SKI SHCOOLS START TO EARLY AND FINISH TO EARLY SO PEOLE DONT GO INTO THE BARS LIKE THE RESORTS IN AUSTRIA AND OTHER PLACES. NO REALLY GOOD NIGHTLIFE EITHER, BUT SOME PEOPLE LIKE THAT BUT FOR ME A BIG NO NO
snow report
I will go to Livigno too (probably), too 12.12. - 18.12.(19.), i hope there will be snow ( anything counts Laughing ), but season start is planned on 28.11., so its more than a half of month after the start of the season, so slopes should be prepared and + the best season of the year (x-mas) is knocking on the door, so slopes HAVE to be prepared for x mas and i dont think, they will start the regular preparation on 23.12.
we have it about 8 hours by car /741 kms on austrian highways/, so as i read, there are other "sufferers" traveling 9 hours and more + they have to be at the airport few hours before the flight...
About the slopes, there are some blacks (mottolino side) for example under skichairs #4,5 and under the cable car it seems so nice too (even if it is red slope)
1873 length 566 altitude difference, which is about 33%, and thats not so bad... i've heard that the shops are very cheap and I found also some expensive restaurant, does abybody know how is that like?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 25-04-10 9:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
in 2008 when we went at easter, which was March 15-22 the season for the tour ops ended the week after, which seemed crazy as there was tons of fresh snow the weekend we left
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy