Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kaprun - info needed

Poster: A snowHead
I would like to find out some info about the resort of Kaprun, having never been there myself I would very much appreciate some info from those of you who have been there. I would like info on the following:

What is the apres ski like?

Is it a family resort or party town or a mixture?

Are there many good lively bars and places to eat out?

Many thanks.....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the list at the top of the page has this

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=561451
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Rayscoops.... I am actually looking for detailed info on the nightlife, bars and apres which is not mentioned in that post....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sidneyreilly, Have only been during summer. Bit of a weird town to be honest - no real heart to it although there is a small village square. There were (to my amazement) two lapdancing bars, which would suggest that it does get a lot better in winter. Baum Bar at edge of town looked as though it would be good in winter. There were only a handfull of bars/restaurants to choose from. Cracking Intersport right enough and they do sell Kaiserbier in abundance wink something whcih St Anton lacks

Not a patch on St Anton though. Personally I would go somehwhere else - Zell am See for example could be a better base
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have not stayed in Kaprun but could not remember anything busy there. Kaprun is in the ski pass of Zell am See so it is logical to stay in Zell am See for any significant apres ski. The bus is a very short one of only 3.5 miles.

Last time I chose Zell am See to ski was because if snow was in short supply I could always go to Kaprun which is glacier. For skiing itself Zell am See is miles better than Kaprun, unless one fancies drag lifts and strong wind.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for that guys, I am trying to find info for a mate of mine who is considering opein up a bar with food there the season after this coming one.... Boabski.... about the beer I owe you..... Prefer Taps to the Moose!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sidneyreilly, Is La Bodega Tapas bar still open - did not get to St Anton last season but enjoyed it the season before last Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes it is still open and very busy as well as great value..... one of my fav places...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sidneyreilly,
Quote:

Boabski.... about the beer I owe you..... Prefer Taps to the Moose!!

As long as it's wet and alcoholic it does not bother me come 4pm. We tend to start off on the Griabli for the best pint in St Anton. Sadly the CCJ's no longer play there. Bumped into Chris (?) last season and said that they were probably reforming but I doubt it. Have you heard anything through the St Anton grape vine?

Regarding Kaprun - the Baum Bar was at the foot of one of the very few runs that go back to village level and it did look as if it would be good in winter. Not experienced it in winter though so could not say good bad or indifferent. Don't know I just never warmed to Kaprun, although we had a good holiday. We went there with a reasonably serious intention of buying a flat but in the end decided that if we were going to do it (which we're not now cause I'm skint) it would need to be St Anton - my view on life is if you're going to do something, do it well.

I'm guessing that there's better places to open up? Speak to Matt Brown of www.innedsnow.com Good guy and recently opened something up near Innsbruck
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for that Boabski, have pm about beer in Griabli
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still hoping for more info on the Kaprun apres ski scene.....can anybody help??!!

Cheers
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.baumbar.at/e/index.php

http://www.pavillon-kaprun.at/

http://www.skisnowboardeurope.com/zellamsee/nightlife.html
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sidneyreilly, Where abouts is he thinking of opening up? There really were not too many bars which would suggest a) untapped market or b) not enough demand for it. There was a small row of bars a bit remanissant (?spelling) of Aviemore in the 80's.
Logically it should be a good resort to have something as you should in theory have at least 2 seasons out of it (winter and summer) but have to say that it was pretty quiet when we were there 1st 2 weeks in July 2007. We went up to glacier one day for their family fun day and it took 2 hours to get up and same again back down - admittedly there would be additional chairlifts working in winter but not as ski convenient as other places.
Think there are bike comps etc during summer as there was one when we were there which made it busy for one weekend and there was also a football tournament on too

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 9-09-09 15:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went a few years ago and to be honest the nightlife was poor. I only remember the Baum bar and that was nothing special.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hiya Boabski Well another mate of ours has bought a run down chalet there and the plan is for my other mate to run it and also operate an apres ski bar with food which is his background.... I don't know much about it myself so just thought I might do some investigating.... I am sure it will not measure up to St.Anton so there is no chance of me moving to Kaprun!! Had a close look at the new Taps today.... It will be BIG and looks like there will be a great big sun terrace above the bar so no doubt Egon is out buying more deckchairs!! Also took a close look at the Mooserwirt hole - that is going to be one big hotel and I reckon that the slope is going to be pretty narrow past it.... ho hum - I always go the other way to Taps or Griabli so does not bother me... ha

Also thanks to Paul too.....
ski holidays
sidneyreilly, I suppose if your mate makes it as cheesy as the Moos then he might just be on to something in Kaprun wink Can't really comment on whether it was family orientated or not as my visit was during summer. It is a reasonably big place but only has 4/5 bars. The Baum Bar is at the foot of the only run that goes back to village and the Pavillion is in the village square - so they're probably best locations.

I've been checking the Moos website so it really is coming along well. Good to see that they're not touching the wooden decking outside so should be as treachourous as usual then. I always park the skis at the back of the Griabli too so that a) you have a better chance of getting your skis and b) you don't have to do the ski of shame
snow report
Hey Boabski... I was up at the moos yesterday... take a look at my blog... sure you know where to find that but just in case www.stantonviews.blogspot.com Can you imagine a another Mooserwirt somewhere !! ha
snow report
sidneyreilly, Gutted to hear about the proposed gondola for Stuben Crying or Very sad . I quite liked the fact that the crappy 2 seater probably kept some folk away from the area. Ah well progress Mad
ski holidays
sidneyreilly, we were in Kaprun just after New Year 2009. We enjoyed the skiing, but tended to spend evenings in the chalet - good crowd, plenty of vino . . . .
Town seemed busy through the day - plenty of places to eat, and those we tried were good - but can't remember their names - no comments please!
When we did venture into town at night, it seemed quiet - lots of loud music, but no-one around - very odd!
snow report
Thanks for that Geof... will pass it on to my mate!!
snow conditions
With the (somewhat large) group of the instructor courses we went to the Kitsch & Bitter in Kaprun.... all the way from Bruck a/d Glocknerstrasse... which is closer to Zell then to Kaprun, so must be something.... Not really my thing to get wasted all day every day anyways....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy