Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dream Quiver for 2009/10

Poster: A snowHead
If money was no object, but you were limited to a quiver of seven pairs of skis, what would you choose? ...... and why?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its not much of a limitation to have 7 pairs allowed - 3 may be more or a challenge.

I'd start off with a couple of pairs of Carradans - they may be vapourware/a downright con but they've got coriolis cores & cryotech so they've got to be the coolest things ever right?

On second thoughts I'd skip that and go straight to Alain Zanco for a pair then maybe a pair of 333s at the opposite end of the spectrum.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, At up to $19,000 a pair for the Carradans, money really would have to be no object..... now maybe if you won the lottery wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
HAHA that just made my week. Never seen those before. they can't be cool, can they?... balancing the wood used from hemispheres??? thats the absolute worst gimic i have ever heard. I'd rather have the K2 flashy light!!!

also $19,000... what happens when u hit a pebble?

dream quiver..

Blizzard Factory GS
Dynastar Race dept Slalom
Scott Pure 193 (older ones with the stiff tips)
Scott Crusades

wait a minute,,,,,, thats my quiver, bargain
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DPS Lotus 120 (190cm) (check)
DPS Wailer 105 (188cm) (deposit paid)
Dynastar Legend Pro XXL (194cm) (check)

4 pairs of Carradans which I can sell and buy an appartment to keep them all in Smile

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 15-09-09 9:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hang on is this Carradan thing a big con? The website looks pretty pukka but just looking at the exotic skis website list. The address thing looks kinda sketchy?

Actually don't reply to that or some american will probably sue you...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
7 pairs of Salomon X-wing 6 Razz
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does nobody here use piste skis ever? do you all have special holiday packages that induce heavy snowfall before you go?

ps. fatbob having re-read your post i shouldn't have needed to ask the above question.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Puzzled the XXLs are my piste skis
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dulcamara, Mr Carradan/Brodie sparked a whole load of web sleuthing by guys on TGR. I think he's shot across the bows of admin before so I think its best to be careful but suffice to say I understand that various websites who were promised test skis have yet to try them and Martin Bell who originally had an association with them terminated the relationship. One version of his website contained graphics which were very similar to material on Alain Zanco's website (who is a genuine high end custom builder).

try googling carradan skis and scam at the same time if you want to see a truly twisted tale.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Atomic D2 SL or some other factory SL ski, exact choice depending on testing. Great for short turns/carving (which I dig) and moguls
Atomic D2 GS or some other factory GS ski, ditto. Cruising at serious knots on hard pack/ice.
Lotus DP138 - deep fat floaty/smeary reverse/reverse powder ski for the dream days
Dynastar LP or LP XXL - all-mountain charger with a wide turn radius for warp factoring in the back country
Tighter-turning tree/steep ski, tbd, I guess a Icelantic Shaman could do - I much prefer carving short turns if I can and the LPs I currently have are very hard work to do this with.
A park ski for working on my lame freestyle. Not really thought about this too much as I don't know anything about them so let's say a Dynastar Trouble Maker or similar

Leaves one further pair... hmm, probably SG boards for some serious piste fun on empty days and also if I'm crazy enough for use in the Derby Smile

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 8-09-09 15:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OK so what have I got (on my imaginary list of things I might like to ski, not what I currently own):

Zanco piste specials (GSish I think)
Doberman SL
DPS Wailers
Whitedot Redeemers
PM Lhasa Pow
Praxis Pows
333 funshapes

Restricting myself to one per manufacturer (& a fair amount of overlap at the fat end of the spectrum). To stay boutique maybe sub in Storm Infernos for the Dobermans.

Plus am I allowed another 7 pairs for my excreable telemarking?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 8-09-09 19:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My dream quiver will not arrive until Feb / March 2010, the advantage of course being it won't be a dream. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

In the meantime this will get me through the start of the season:

Deep deep Pow: WDF Redeemers (Check)
Charging: Faction 13s (Check)
Deep touring: Faction Alias (fantasy)
Technical touring: WDF The One (sans tail, don't tell Kiwi1)
Tele: WDF Preacher (?)
Rock skis: Faction 3.Zero 190s (Check)

And because I can own another pair of skis:

190 Wizard Exploders or 202 Lotus 138

I don't need to go to a custom builder, I have Whitedot Freeride to do my bidding. Hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I thought a 4 ski quiver was a bit unreasonable if you're not a resident Very Happy

Erm... I still can't decide on my real life quiver, nevermind fantasy. I think ideally:

- Head Supershape Magnum, or that 9X oversize Rossi thingy
- Some uber poppy park skis (I'm gonna try Da'Nollies this year, Line Afterbang has shiny marketing that makes me want to try them tho)
- chargey chargey 90mms - last year's Legend Pro ideally, I have Prophet 90s but they're starting to feel a bit planky as my skiing improves (or, I spend more time on skinny skis. shh.)
- Lhasa Pows
- DPS 138's
- I can't think of a ski that'd ever have a day where I'd take it over the above... a 186 pair of carbon Lhasa's with dynafits?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I just looked up those carradan skis. Im gunna go the whole hog and buy the women specific pairs, just because i can afford to. Thats $62000 on 4 pairs of skis. I wonder what the profit margin on each pair is? rolling eyes
snow report
Well i've got a pair of Movement thunders & some kingswoods at the moment. Don't think i need another 5 pairs.
Maybe a pair of reverse camber reverse sidecut skis for really big days.
Something like a pair of Legend Pros for steeps e.g. not a lot of sidecut & really stiff. Possibly a pair of lightweight touring skis for occasional use.
Maybe a pair of superstiff raceroom piste skis for those days when there ain't no fresh snow & going fast on the piste is the best option.
latest report
In going for a quiver size of seven, I was thinking along the lines:

1. Race (SL or GS (or both))
2. Mid-fats
3. Park/pipe
4. AT set-up, and/or telemark if that's your thang
5. Pow / fat
6. Retro !!
7. Rockhoppers

don't wanna be restrictive tho', go with whatcha wanna
ski holidays
1. Race (3V Lab's
2. Race 2v Labs
3. Suspects ,for the park tricks I want to learn
4. Shoguns for pow
5. Elan Magfire 82's, for a bit of everything

Dont think I could possibly need more than that
ski holidays
Fattes13 wrote:
1. Race (3V Lab's
2. Race 2v Labs
3. Suspects ,for the park tricks I want to learn
4. Shoguns for pow

Dont think I could possibly need more than that

Maybe stop buy junk salomon skis.
snow report
frank4short, I have been on Salomon since I started skiing and they have never let me down!

So they may not be knocked up in a workshop by two guys who only make 100 pairs of skis a year but they have alwasy done what I have asked of them and have enjoyed skiing on them for a number of yeasr now.
ski holidays
Fattes13, I don't think Salomon reps have that many Salomon skis in their quiver Wink
snow report
1. K2 McConkey Tribute Ski - For skiing really nice steep powder.
2. Atomic Bentchetler - For skiing wide powder fields switch.
3. Armada Alpha 2. For mucking around in the park, and hitting the odd bit of powder.
4. Moment Reno Jib. Primary park/jib ski.
5. K2 Silencer - Urban/Rail ski.
6. J.O Pro - For days when I want to go really fast.
7. Another pair of K2 McConkey's to hang on my wall as a proper tribute.
ski holidays
Quote:

the XXLs are my piste skis

Quote:

Dynastar LP or LP XXL - all-mountain charger

where exactly did the big legends get a name for on piste? even dynastar wouldnt try and push that one....

p.s. respect to patch for pointing out the need for retro skis in the rack
latest report
dulcamara wrote:
Quote:

the XXLs are my piste skis

Quote:

Dynastar LP or LP XXL - all-mountain charger

where exactly did the big legends get a name for on piste? even dynastar wouldnt try and push that one....

p.s. respect to patch for pointing out the need for retro skis in the rack

Stop being a fag. Seriously.
latest report
Surprized no one has mentioned the KästleMX98
http://www.kaestle-ski.com/MX98.88.1.html

Does anyone own 7 pairs of skis and use them all on a regular basis?
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Does anyone own 7 pairs of skis and use them all on a regular basis?

I own about 30 pairs Shocked but collected over 25 years, and I have never got rid of any skis I've ever owned. I have several more on the way for the coming season, but probably only ski regularly on 3 or 4 pairs. Once a pair are "retired", I find I very rarely, if ever, go back to them.
latest report
Patch,

I was thinking 3 or 4 skis is probably the optimum. (e.g. Race, all-mountain, powder and touring skis). If money was no object I'd spend a season in somewhere like St Anton and rent out skis then buy the 3-4 pairs I liked the most. Would however consider buying highly rated skis that were not available to rent.
ski holidays
Quote:

Stop being a fag. Seriously.

Ok sweetheart, what's up? why am i a fag this time?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Think if I bought these Ii would only need 1?

Vokl Mantras sooooooooo Tempting have only ever heard good things about them decisions decisions

But The Lords from last year are still good and have no reason to replace them. Might have a word with Leona for Christmas Twisted Evil
snow report
dulcamara, I wouldn't use mine as my exclusively piste ski (why would I when I already have several race skis in my quiver?), rather my all-mountain do-a-bit-of-everything-at-speed ski. Arno doesn't really do pistes hence his tongue-in-cheek comments.
ski holidays
... and parlor doesn't really do turns so the perceived benefits of sidecut etc are a bit academic for him Wink

srsly though, the LP is a lot of fun in any snow you can get an edge into when you have bit of room to let them run. the XXLs perform very well on piste for a big ski and there is fun to be had in riding a 40m+ sidecut Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 9-09-09 13:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Sideshow_Bob, Arno, never got on with big mountain skis on piste, though i must confess i havent tried the legends.
How do yours compare to a SG ski? like mine do they just tend to drift round the turn at speed?

Also has anyone tried a pair of D2 race skis yet? whats the verdict? should these be added to my wish list?
snow conditions
Thinking about the seven-ski quiver in another (but not particularly logical way) - it terms of waist dimension .... how about

approx:
65mm
75mm
90mm
105mm
115mm
130mm
+ some retro skinnies

obviously there is far more involved than simple waist measurement (other dims, stiffness, rocker etc etc), but just proposing one possible way of reflecting on the quiver.

Based on this classification, my (actual, not dream) quiver for 2010 looks like:

65mm - Volkl Racetiger SL (check)
75mm - missing
90mm - Scott Mission (check - to be retired as rockhoppers)
105mm - HS Freeride with Fritschi Diamir (if Santa is kind)
115mm - WDF Preacher (check)
130mm - WDF Redeemer (check)
Retro - K2 Extremes (originals - 1991 - check)

(obviously widths are approx)

Still considering my Dream Quiver, but I'm thinking I'm a good way there!
snow report
DaveC, May well b a rep but I liked there kit before I sold the soul. I do ski on non Salomon from time to time and have owned K2,Elans and Rossi. Just like their stuff
snow conditions
dulcamara, have you seen Caddyshack? You make the basic mistake that instructor type skiers make. You stand on skis trying to make your body right to ski that ski, hence: not getting on with 'big mountain' skis on piste. You need to 'be the ski'. Take drugs everyday and you will one day become the ski.
snow report
Hmmm, 7 pairs of skis....that would be a dream come true for me, until I tried to carry them anywhere. Can I have a butler to carry them wherever I go? And then ski behind me carrying the 6 pairs I'm not using in case I change my mind as to which pair to use?

Anyway, assuming I get my butler, I'd pick

1. Kneissl Black Star XC 152cm (piste skiing)
2. K2 Miss Demeanors 149cm (park skiing)
3. Scott Maya 155cm (powder days)
4. Rossignol B2 155cm (all around ski)
5. Rossignol R8S 155cm (race ski)
6. Volkl Attivia Aurora 156cm (all around ski)
7. Volkl Attivia Aura 156cm (for pow pow)
latest report
dulcamara, the LPs I bought from Arno are the older stiffer race-room ones. They feel pretty much like a wide GS ski, stiff in both directions and come alive at speed. They're naturally slower edge-edge due to the width but they can carve GS lines with ease. They're hard work to make slalom turns on as you have to slide/pivot them around, and I find them a little too stiff/cumbersome for short-medium turns down some steeps (before it gets too steep to have to do retraction/pivot/jump turns). They're also a bit too stiff in the tip for my liking in heavy snow and can tip-dive, although they're nothing like as much of nightmare as my GS skis (nearly killed me, tips would just sink and dig in) in this kind of snow. I think this is why the more recent ones are softer at the front of the ski. However get a nice wide glade or similar where you can open them up and they are serious fun.
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob, you should try to get on some XXLs. they softened the tip up and gave it more rise to address exactly the problems you mention

probably doesn't help the short-medium issue but they "slarve" better than the LPs
latest report
Feel I should slip in a dream quiver, though got stuck on the last one.....if anyone can suggest something super impressive (at a reasonable price) i may think about putting some cash into making it a reality.

Should point out that my fascination with skiing is the speed, hence:

1. Atomic D2 Factory GS ---- I just want to try them really, i may hate them
2. Fischer Race Dept SL (hole) ----- Again, i love my 64s but these look cool as well
3. Stoeckli Stormrider DP Pro + ---- Full fear back country hard charging
4. Kastle MX 99 Freeride ----- would probably end up with a touring binding on them
5. SCOTT Crusade ----- for those days when you have no idea what the snows like up there.
6. Volant Platinum ---- once more i just want to try them, for days when im feeling poor
7. HELP NEEDED - Super cool, fairly soft, fun, super-fat twin-tips, there are FAR too many of these out there at the moment and i have no idea where to start!!!

PEACE X
snow report
dulcamara wrote:
1. Atomic D2 Factory GS ---- I just want to try them really, i may hate them

I know people who have them but they have not used them yet, they seem to like the SL version.
dulcamara wrote:
2. Fischer Race Dept SL (hole) ----- Again, i love my 64s but these look cool as well

They are good but not much fun in powder or slush, it all goes through the hole, I got rather wet warming up at Easter.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy