Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying skiis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
With winter approaching fast ( especially in scotland) I am wanting to buy my first pair of skiis.
I am a hab hazzard , flat footed and heavy skier! .I don't want to spend much more than £200-£250 as I am " lucky I am allowed away twice "! This year.
My questions are;
am I better with harder or soft skiis??
Is there a better make in the cheaper end of the market?
Web site or shop?
Any advice welcome , good , bad or even like me ugly!!! Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bfg, Where do you mostly ski? There are 2 pairs of Volkl Karmas for sale on the forum at the moment in different lengths. They are said to be very good all mountain skis.
I've never used them but Volkl generaly make very good skis.

Do a search on the forum for opinions on them by people who have skied them and look in the Buy sell exchange section. The 176cm pair with very little use at £200 look good value.
I posted the pics for thes but only cause the seller was having dificulty doing so and so others can see them. I do not know the skis or the seller but they look like a good deal and might suit you.
Hes selling them cause he is to light to bend them. By the your description of yourself you probably won't struggle to wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi bfg, not sure why the gurus on the site have ignored your posting (with respect to RPF, ) but I think its a sensible set of questions. I've posted elsewhere about my shock of the cost of ski and boot hire in St Anton (£150) next year, versus my normal budget of < £100 in France, so I'm thinking too. I'd add one more question - buying at snowdomes where you can, I guess, try and buy? What sort of premium might you pay? If no one replies maybe I'll start another thread entitled "Free Beer Vouchers" or "Dodgy Pics of (insert noun of choice) here!"
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kewhoward, the only problem with owning your own is the cost of transporting them. Ryanair are now £80 for a return flight just for yor ski kit Shocked If you drive its a no brainer. Its nice to have your own especially if you get something you really like.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think you need to be a bit more precise with your criteria, for your budget I'd rather buy a higher end ski lightly used than a pricepoint special e.g. if your budget is inclusive of bindings you're only really allowing £100-£150 for the skis. Piste/off piste/ skidding around/carving/ aggressive/ cruising/ soft snow/icy etc?

Plus if you're a holdiay skier only baggage charges are a major consideration.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are going to ski in Scotland then definitely buy, they pay for themselves really quickly. Try a few at the snowdome to get an idea of what kind of ski you like, sidecut, stiffness etc. then look on ebay or at one of the euro retailers such as sport conrad to see if you can pick up any bargains. Ellis brigham let you try skis for free at the Snowdone and are having soem multibrand demo days soon, look on the website. EB also usually have some decent stuff on sale so agin look at the website or check when your in the shop. You tend to get better bargains with less popular brands such as Elan while Salomon always seem to command a premium on Ebay.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kewhoward, Prices at snowdome-linked stores are not always higher. For instance, S&R have an outlet store near Hemel and I think EB do the same (at Manchester?). You usually need to book your trial equipment in advance unless the store is very quiet.
But RPF, is right about trying to find good second-hand stuff. For the same price you can get better skis so it will last you longer in the medium term.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bfg, how you doing? You know if you buy skis you have to have at least 3 trips a year to make it worthwhile Toofy Grin wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bfg, If you're looking at the Volkl Karmas I believe that they ski fairly shorter than the advertised length.

Also if you're interested I'm selling a pair of new Scott Patrol skis, they're in the buy/sell section too.

Welcome to snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

bfg, how you doing? You know if you buy skis you have to have at least 3 trips a year to make it worthwhile

Or ski artificial slopes a lot. Cool
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the tips I was feeling a bit left out! As though I had asked a stupid question!!
Not the first time!!!.
Will be going to eb in Glasgow on Friday to try out some skis ( or is it skiis????). Hi Jonm ! The "'er in doors" is allowing two!! But if there is a pre season bash in November time !?!! I still haven't taken holidays this year yet!!! And she has !
Please keep the advice comming I am listening
many thanks
also Nevis sport have a sale on? Any hints on what they have to offer??? Confused Shock
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bfg, if you plan to ski in Scotland through the season, fair enough WRT cost. But to be honest my gut response was if you have to ask these kind of questions you're not ready to buy. Maybe rent some better quality skis but get some lessons until you're not flat-footed and heavy and you'll enjoy yourself more and moreover, need/benefit from a different type of ski.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My tip, Buy good boots and get them fitted properly . Hire skis

Repair costs , servicing , carrage costs , hassle carrying them to and from airport are all reasons I chose to sell my skis.
I ski one week a year and paying arround the 80euro mark for a good set of hire skis makes more sence to me.
I hired a pair of Dynastar Legend 4800 early Feb this year in Tignes and they where like new.
An awsome ski by the way.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bfg, I'm certainly looking to go somewhere for a few days in Nov/Dec, probably Tignes - and a few others are too. I have no advice for you whatsoever re skis, sorry!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Having been to snowzone Friday and tried a couple of different skiis decided ( more or less) to go for the Fischer watea . Great feel although not a stiff test for them I feel I can gain a lot and grow with them as opposed to a piste ski which felt very stiff in comparison and less fun.
I take on board cost of taking your gear with you but with bmi skis go free! Unfortunatly they don't bloomin fly much from Edinburgh!!! . I hdo hope to ski some in Scotland this year, especially now my skiing is slightly better, just before when I was a begginer places like glencoe were more like an assault course rather than a piste!!! Facilities not the best if you want to clean up before the two to three hour treck back either!!. Still glenshee is far friendlier . Cheers to all who posted, hope to see you on the white stuff soon, I'll be the big 'yin dusting himself down for the nth time!!!!!! snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy