Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

mark warner vs esprit

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
thinking of going with mark warner with the family this year. been with esprit a couple of times and crystal once. is there much difference with mark warner or do they follow a similar pattern to esprit. one child will be in creche and one in kids club / lessons. any experiece of hotel christina in la plagne ?? thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
backhojo, haven't been with either for skiing but have been with both for summer and that childcare has been very similar. AFAIK Mark Warner do not have exclusive classes for the skiing kids as Esprit do if this is important to you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
backhojo, We did Esprit for 3 years and on the last year the head of childcare who we had met previously told us he had done a summer working for MW and he wasn't overly impressed. He also had mates who were working that winter near us with MW. They weren't impressed and I know he was biased but he had seen the MW set up and he said it wasn't a patch on the Esprit standards. Don't use them now as we have moved on but had 3 holidays with Esprit, friends are going for their 5th this year, for childcare absolutely amazing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hello ,we have used both . About 7 weeks with MW 3x 2 weeks in Val, both at the Val d'Isere and Cygnaski and a week in Tignes, and various Esprit; Chamonix, les Arcs, Peisey, Le Rossiere and summer in Sass Fee.

Various differences

CHILDREN/Childcare

All Esprit holidays have childcare- all the guests will have kids with them (just possible a few last minutes without but unlikely). Not all MW places take kids and those that do are just as likely to have more guests without children as those that do. So a little difference with the dynamics. At most MW places we have stayed there were some guests who quite obviously objected to kids in general.

Childcare very similar, although my children particularly enjoy the communal singing with Esprit and gunging- not a feature of MW at all. Childcare with MW not obviously different to me, although Esprit , having more children has a better 'vibe'.

Prices for childcare broken down a bit more in Esprit as far as I can remember.

PRICE

Mark Warner a little more expensive.

STAFF

Most MW chalet / managerial /hotel staff very nicely spoken, public school, etc

Levels of service just the same with the exception of MW staff carrying bags to rooms (although I think Esprit have done this at least once)

Chalets/Chalet Hotels

Both highly variable. MW 'Hotel Val D'Isere' one of if not the most expensive MW hotel is really quite run down and tired- it has a pool though.
Esprit 'Hotel Sapiniere' in Cham likewise- and we had no hot water for a week.

Esprit Chalets in Peisey however- amazing- large, luxurious, hot tubs (but a bit icky and could have done with a clean) large screen TVs- big rooms really good.

FOOD
Chalet hotels always better than Chalets (professional chefs in professional kitchen vs students on gap year in a tiny kitchen)
Best food ever in Sapiniere in Chamonix- the chef had worked at the Ivy

SICKNESS

We have often had D&V at MW places in Val- unless we didn't drink tap water and stayed out of the pool. Likewise lots of other guests. Think this is a VdI thing.

Ski Hosting
Much better with MW- good ski hosts with at least 1 group that goes fast.

I think out kids enjoy Esprit more. We ski a lot with kids and haven't been with MW for years- but MW does have one particular gem- the last 2 weeks of April in Val D'Isere are very good value- for adults 2 weeks for 2/3rds the price of 1 week Feb half term. If you have preschool kids then this is really good.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There has to be at least one child under 12 in the party to book with Esprit. In the 8/9 ish trips, we've been on with Esprit, our bags have always been carried by staff. Esprit childcare is the best in the business. However, we've noticed savings being made in recent years, stingy food portions and basic accom.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sounds like there are pros and cons of both. we like the fact that MW childcare finishes later allowing us a longer day on the slopes and also theyhave free evening games etc for kids so we can have relaxed evening meal. with esprit this has not been the case. not sure about the fact that many guest might not have kids (especially as we will not be going in kids hols - we take a week out of school in late jan or early march). will be interesting to see if any other people offer their views - thanks for comments so far
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
edsilva,
Interested in your views on ski hosting with MW. I have booked a week with them with my wife, the 1st time I have ever been away with just my wife, have always been with my wife & kids or on my own with a group.

The reason I booked with MW was primarily for the ski hosting my wife is a nervous intermediate (and always will be, she has had no end of private lessons and we have just to accept it )and is quite happy to go with a group who is at her level, however I would best describe myself as an medium advanced skier. Therefore I feel the ski hosting should suit us fine and we can meet up for lunch then maybe do our own thing in the afternoon or stick with the groups we are in, as long as we are both happy with the company.

Is this the way it generally works out !!!. Went with Crystal a couple of years ago and on the 1st day me and my eldest and a couple of others were clearly at a different level to the rest in the group, but obviously the guide had to go with the least experienced. So we went our own way and never did go back with the host, however I am interested that you say that MW has at least one group that goes fast, if this is the case it should suit us fine.

Tignes 2010 cant wait snowHead snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
backhojo wrote:
sounds like there are pros and cons of both. we like the fact that MW childcare finishes later allowing us a longer day on the slopes and also theyhave free evening games etc for kids so we can have relaxed evening meal. with esprit this has not been the case. not sure about the fact that many guest might not have kids (especially as we will not be going in kids hols - we take a week out of school in late jan or early march). will be interesting to see if any other people offer their views - thanks for comments so far

Unless they're babies, kids can be left with child care staff until after 'kids' tea which is 5.30-6ish. Esprit run Coco Club in the eves for kids of all ages and also offer nights out for older children, bowling, ice-skating etc.
Have I been on some unusually good Esprit holidays? Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mollerski wrote:
Have I been on some unusually good Esprit holidays? Confused

No you haven't, as I said above went with them 3 times and my mate is going for his 5th this year. They took the kids at 9am and gave them back at 6pm with Coco club in the evening if they wanted. Ours never went there, to knackered. Childcare we experienced was amazing, the kids still sing the blinking songs!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kel, there are often problems for good but not fast women in ski hosting groups- not just with MW but all groups- very often some- usually older men ski terribly and cut people up / fall over have too much to drink at lunch. Have a go but a female 'nervous intermediate' might not have a great time - or I just might be a miserable old f4rt.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
edsilva wrote:
...........SICKNESS

We have often had D&V at MW places in Val- unless we didn't drink tap water and stayed out of the pool. Likewise lots of other guests. Think this is a VdI thing................

Shocked

Whilst the occasional dose is almost inevitable when travelling, 'often' smacks of a casual attitude to hygiene by MW.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles wrote:
edsilva wrote:
...........SICKNESS

We have often had D&V at MW places in Val- unless we didn't drink tap water and stayed out of the pool. Likewise lots of other guests. Think this is a VdI thing................

Shocked

Whilst the occasional dose is almost inevitable when travelling, 'often' smacks of a casual attitude to hygiene by MW.

I don't think it is a MW issue rather a VdI water treatment problem. Classically many get ill the day after the MW night off.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy