Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worried - El Nino and early season skiing in BC

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK - so let me start with telling you that I am new to skiing, I have only been skiing on a real mountain once.

I have booked to go to Panorama in mid Dec and I'm thinking I have made a Boo Boo.

1) I was seduced by a really really REALLY cheap inghams deal
2) I didn't read up on the resort that much

Which means I have since found out that conditions may not be very good at Panorama at the time of my trip (especially seeing as it is apparently an El Nino year, which I don't know anything about but I've read it can mean warmer/drier winters in western Canada?)

Also - I now read that Panorama is not that great for the easy blues/green runs quote 'the blues are more like black diamonds' which doesn't help me much. I'll be stuck with the children on the magic carpets at that rate.

I'm not sure what to do, I have refrained from buying additions such as lift passes at the moment and we will be hiring a car so hopefully we can travel to find some of the white stuff if need be.

Can anyone suggest anywhere that might be better suited with 1) potentially more snow 2) some nice easy runs from the top of the mountain in the vicinity of Panorama?

Thanking you Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
v1cky24, one thing to remember is that if you have lessons with a good instructor (and I believe they generally are good in Canada) they will make sure they find the right terrain for you - and they'll be the best bet for finding snow, too.

No point in buying lift passes etc now anyway.

I've never been to Panorama but the girl who used to cut my hair had been there several times. She was a beginner snowboarder and she never complained about the slopes being too difficult - she liked it very much. What she DID complain about was her boyfriend persuading her that he could teach her - she really struggled until she had a few lessons with a proper instructor.

I'm sure someone with more first hand knowledge, rather than just gleaned from a chatty hairdresser, will be along soon. wink

However, you always need to remember that if you get a super duper bargain deal there are bound to be some snags.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you've only been on a mountain once don't worry about it. Rest assured Panorama is an Intrawest destination resort so extremely unlikely they won't make snow or have easy enough crusing runs to keep the family customer happy.

Nevertheless a car is a good idea, the drive through Yoho to Lake Louise is stunning and you're only a hour or so from Invermere to Kicking Horse (1 easy run form top of mountain however a bit cat tracky), if you want a change.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Took the family to Panorama a couple of years ago. Very good beginner resort. A far as I recall pretty well everything is skiable for an early intermediate except tayton bowls themselves.
The ski school was pretty good, they won't take you on anything your not capable of skiing. NIghtlife is a bit C**p.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
v1cky24 wrote:
OK - so let me start with telling you that I am new to skiing, I have only been skiing on a real mountain once.

I have booked to go to Panorama in mid Dec and I'm thinking I have made a Boo Boo.

1) I was seduced by a really really REALLY cheap inghams deal
2) I didn't read up on the resort that much

Which means I have since found out that conditions may not be very good at Panorama at the time of my trip (especially seeing as it is apparently an El Nino year, which I don't know anything about but I've read it can mean warmer/drier winters in western Canada?)

Also - I now read that Panorama is not that great for the easy blues/green runs quote 'the blues are more like black diamonds' which doesn't help me much. I'll be stuck with the children on the magic carpets at that rate.

I'm not sure what to do, I have refrained from buying additions such as lift passes at the moment and we will be hiring a car so hopefully we can travel to find some of the white stuff if need be.

Can anyone suggest anywhere that might be better suited with 1) potentially more snow 2) some nice easy runs from the top of the mountain in the vicinity of Panorama?

Thanking you Very Happy

You're brave Smile There's a reason these places are cheap early season! I think Panorama opens mid-december, so you can be pretty sure its quiet. They do make lots of snow, so I'm sure you'll have some good groomers, but not sure how extensive. El Nino not usually kind to Panorama (2001 was horrible), but you could be ok. Kimberley nearby but they don't get much more snow either (these two get low snowfall by BC standards). Fernie should be looking good by then if its cold - that's a couple of hours. Same for Kicking Horse. But neither of perfectly fit your second criteria.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was in Panorama January 2005 and had great snow, plus the school is excellent.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
v1cky24,

Mid December is a lottery anywhere, but I'd expect that snowmaking will ensure that you have something to slide on. The ski school is run by Don Bilodeau, who is one of Canada's top instructors, so you can be assured of excellent tuition, whatever the conditions. (See their website: http://www.skischool.com/).

Not all of the blues are "like black diamonds", and although Panorama isn't my favourite resort, you should be able to progress to these.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy