Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine to Chamonix....

Poster: A snowHead
Going to Flaine in Jan.

I see that Chamonix is very near (about an inch on my map, lol) ... but how near is is really??

Can I ski there or are there viable daytrips to and from Chamonix??

Any info much appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's close enought for day trips - pals of mine who did a season in Chamonix did quite a few day trips to Flaine
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Libertine, no, you can't ski there. It would be about 1 - 1.5 hours in a car, I guess - depending on where in the Chamonix Valley you intended to go.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, maybe even a bit less than an hour.
Try do it mid week you dont want to be on the road on transfer day. Then again Cham might be quieter on a Saturday Puzzled The best bits can get busy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. I am not tanking a car this year, would there be a direct transfer company does anyone know ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

would there be a direct transfer company does anyone know

there would definitely be taxis, which amounts to the same thing really, and if there was a group of you it might be worthwhile. You could no doubt get a bus down to the train station in Cluses, then along the valley to Chamonix, by bus or possibly train.

But it would mean an early start if you didn't want to waste any ski time!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It will take you just over an hour to drive time Flaine to Chamonix (assuming no extra ordinary delays through snow) you wouldn't really be affected by doing it on transfer day or not.

There is no direct bus and if you're looking at public transport then pam w has given you the best way.

My suggestion would be to see if one of the smaller transfer companies or anyone local is able to take you there and back.

January is usually quite quiet so you might find residents are looking for a day trip out and have a mini bus or Land Rover Defender available and are prepared to take you Wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It is possible by public transport, as pam w has said. I was in flaine and my sister was in chamonix, and we visited each other. It did involve a bit of faffing at train stations and then taxis to the resorts, but worth it. The buses to the train station in flaine (I was staying in les carroz) did not seem very regular or convenient, but it was in April so I couldnt be sure what they might be like in January. A taxi was easier and more convenient. Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Forget Chamonix

it's a smelly dump with tiny un-linked ski areas at the bottom of a dark valley

If there's any pow you need to be in the lift q at 07:30 to get any fresh

really it is VERY over-rated IMHO
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bertie bassett, That's the second negative post about Chamonix (I refuse to call it Cham) today.

I get the feeling that you don't like the place.

Andy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another option is to speak to tour company reps. When I was in Flaine last winter one of the companies was running a day trip to Courmayeur. A lot of the reps have their arrival day briefing in the evening in La Perdrix Noir in Flaine Foret (warning: booze prices in there are ridiculous) so worth talking to them to see if there are any trips organised. Tends to depend on numbers as to whether they go but if you record your interest with them that will in itself increase the numbers. Look out also for discounted passes in other resorts when you get your GM pass. From Flaine by car to the center of Chaminix is about an hour (as said above), Les Houches a bit less, Argentiere a bit more. Carroz is about 15 minutes closer than Flaine.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bertie bassett,
Quote:
smelly
Quote:
dump
Quote:
tiny
Quote:
at the bottom of a dark valley

WTF are you talking about?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marcellus,
Quote:

It will take you just over an hour to drive time Flaine to Chamonix (assuming no extra ordinary delays through snow) you wouldn't really be affected by doing it on transfer day or not.

I appreciate that you live there but on a late January Sunday last season it took me >1.5 hours to get from Les Carroz to Cluses. So, I wouldn't be leaving Flaine at 19h00 hoping to make a 20h00 dinner reservation in Chamonix.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, if the OP was wanting to get there for dinner on a sunday night I wouldn't be suggesting that he only leave an hour to get from Flaine to Chamonix.

HOWEVER, he wasn't... he was wanting to go to Chamonix for a "day trip" which implies that he want's to be there during "daylight hours" to ski... so if he wanted to be there for say 09:00 I still suggest he leraves at by 08:00!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marcellus, not on a transfer day though...I'd definitely leave more time.
snow report
under a new name, living on the worst part of the road (the last mile into Carroz) as I do I say even on Tranfser day if the OP wants to get to Chamonix by 09:00 if he leaves before 08:00 then he should be there on time unles there has been a massive dump overnight or an accident on the way!
snow conditions
marcellus, ok, I'll believe you, although it doesn't align with my (solitary) experience, which wasn't on any special kind of transfer day.
ski holidays
under a new name, you're right too in a way... I never head down the mountain after about 15:00 during the peak weeks at it's bedlam!!
snow report
marcellus, yeah, it's bad enough getting through Cluses on a normal summer's Sunday.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy