Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where's Most Likely to have Snow the Week Before Christmas?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm looking to go for a week's skiing from 19th December; does anyone have any experience at going away at this time? - If so, what was the snow like and where were you?
Can anyone recommend where might be good?
It's just my girlfriend and I going away so we're looking for a Self Catering apartment so if you can recommend a reasonably priced apartment I'd also be interested to hear from you. we're both at the Beginner - Intermediate level.

Thanks,

G
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tignes was pretty damn good that time of year last year.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
North Pole at a guess..... wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you want to book up now, I'd agree with jonm - go for Tignes. There are plenty of self catering apartments. But at that time of year you would have plenty of choice, so you could wait, and make a booking when you know how the snow's looking. If it's a cold and snowy December Tignes - which is very high - could be a bit bleak.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Baring a powercut Hemel is a dead cert NehNeh

The last 2 seasons almost everywhere had.
Tignes, Sass Fee, Zermat LDA, Hintertux (all the ones with glaciers) are probably best bets.
ValThorens given its altitude has got to be worth a look, You are well above the tree line here so if the weather gets rough you can run but not hide wink. Of course if the rest of the 3V is open you can go lower.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi, St.Anton has always had snow in December since I have been here (12 Years) and the skiing is good prior to the New Year as it is not so busy.... I rent apartments out here in the village but I also have a double room with ensuite in a great spot that I charge 500 Euro for the week.... Let me know if your are interested. If St.Anton does not suit look for resorts at a good height with plenty of snowmakers...Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry forget to say, there is also a kitchenette withthis room..... so you can cook....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote here for North Pole....problem being visability of course wink
Having checked St Anton's webcams daily for years now Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed you'll have no bother there along with the other resorts mentioned I suppose. If you're beginner/intermediate Tignes' slopes may suit better than St Anton, but that said, you'll enjoy yourself more after the skiing in St Anton.

PS Although Ive not stayed in sidneyreilly, 's appartments, they are in a great location in St Anton

PPS No I'm not on a commission from sidneyreilly,

PPPS sidneyreilly, You can buy me a pint in the Moos 1st week in March wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boabski wrote:
PS Although Ive not stayed in sidneyreilly, 's appartments, they are in a great location in St Anton

That might well be the case it's just a shame he jumps on every possible thread to spam us with his apartments.

Personally I'm not convinced that 500 euros pre-xmas for a double room is a particularly good deal.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Another vote here for North Pole....problem being visability of course

Lift systems not great either and its mostly off-piste. .
Polar bears are PITA (They dont sit around drinking Coca-Cola like they do on the ads at Christmas)
So all in all its not everyones cup of tea
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A week from the 19th does include Christmas Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Personally I'm not convinced that 500 euros pre-xmas for a double room is a particularly good deal.

Nor me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bertie bassett, beequin, All relative but much better than a French cupboard in Tignes imv, which is what I roughly remember paying a few years ago for a 'studio that sleeps four'. That is the nature of ski resorts I suppose Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
greido, Most places will be good most years. Higher places are probably a bit more reliable but as pointed out can suffer badly in bad weather and CAN still get poor conditions. One of the worst weeks of snow I have had was in Tignes.
Are you sure you want to self cater? I find for two people self catering is a bit of a hassel and I tend to eat out.
Personally I would wait and see where the snow is at this time of the year. If you want to book early it might be worth looking at Lech or Ischgl which have good snow records suitable skiing for your level and may have a bit more life pre xmas than a French pupose built resort.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
greido, Book a flight to somewhere like Zurich/Salzburg/Innsbruck and decide closer to the time where to go. Stubai valley has lower resorts (Schlick 2000 etc) and a glacier too so ideal for all eventualities, Innsbruck could be a city break in a hotel double room with free buses to the local slopes, Salzburg has a huge choice of resorts within 1 hour transfer, Zurich accesses Switzerland and the west of Austria and many many other mega resorts too - check out Arosa as a snow sure resort !!
latest report
Hey Boabski...... can it be in Taps .... not the Moose!!
snow conditions
greido, I skied in La Plagne last year before Christmas picked up a great deal with Crystal and the snow was fantastic and harly anybody was skiing Laughing Very Happy snowHead
I have the same week booked off again and am waiting to see both where the snow is and who if anybody are doing any good deals Smile
snow conditions
Ahhhh.... bless the sceptics!

A ski resort would be a good place to go if you fancied skiing in December...
ski holidays
We skied at Zell Am See last year at the same time - Masses of fresh powder everywhere. Great conditions all on Blues and Reds, so great for beginner/intermediates.
Very pretty area and great night life if you want it.
I'll PM you about my apartment there.
snow report
Just book a flight to Geneva and go where the snow is, you will get digs this week no problem. Alternatively just hang on for a cheap package and book the week before when you know where the snow is, sub £300 for a half board package is very likely for this week.
ski holidays
I've been to Espace Killy pre Christmas for the last 6years and have only been disapointed once in 04 but then then poor snow pre Christmas was pretty uniform (in France at least).
ski holidays
Plugboy wrote:
We skied at Zell Am See last year at the same time - Masses of fresh powder everywhere.

Bad Gastein which is near Zell am See has been brilliant during December for the last few years. Loads of powder and really quiet! snowHead snowHead
latest report
greido, that is, of course, Christmas week, so things won't be very cheap - or very quiet. However it won't be as bad as New Year.
ski holidays
Surely Lapland has got to be in with a shout for Christmas week! Not a lot of skiing, but what there is is great - fluffy powder, just remember to dodge the reindeer (really!) And it's where Father Christmas is from too. I love Christmas even more than I love skiing though Very Happy We did a lot of XC skiing and racing snowmobiles across the frozen lakes and up the fells while we were there too, it was fab. Very cold when the nights are clear - but that's all the better for seeing the Northern Lights.

Failing that - why not wait until closer the time. Sometimes everywhere has snow, and other times it's a bit rubbish.
latest report
But seriously... when was the last time anyone was really caught out by poor snow conditions in the second half of December?
The pistes round here open (limited runs) at the begining of November. Even in 06/07 there were loads of pistes open!
snow report
Quote:

when was the last time anyone was really caught out by poor snow conditions in the second half of December?

snow report
2006-2007 was pretty dire too.
snow report
Quote:

2006-2007 was pretty dire too.

true. Sure, there was some snow to ski on, but it was not until New Year that it really came in (in the northern French alps, anyway). Possibly Austria was better - the early snow further east is often better. But not always, whatever they say. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pam tell me about it we had guests arriving on the 16th Dec and on the 10th ish we had NO SNOW AT ALL. Snowed hard the 12-13th which got us started. Was the first time I read our T and C to see if we had to provide snow for a ski holiday. Thankly the snow came but we were not obliged to have any snow in the T & C.

Andy
snow conditions
Pam tell me about it we had guests arriving on the 16th Dec and on the 10th ish we had NO SNOW AT ALL. Snowed hard the 12-13th which got us started. Was the first time I read our T and C to see if we had to provide snow for a ski holiday. Thankly the snow came but we were not obliged to have any snow in the T & C.

Andy
ski holidays
Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread; your thoughts and opinions are very much appreciated.
On the back of what you guys are saying I think I'll wait to book nearer the time once I get an idea of the snow conditions. On top of the info you guys have provided I also found a really good review for what I was looking for, it's certainly worth a quick read: http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/discussion/general-skiing/1015613/

Thanks again,

Gordon
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy