Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your favourite piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Never been to the same resort twice, so haven't built up enough familiarity to have a favourite, but in reverse chrono order as far back as I can remember here's my fave from various resorts...

Valmeinier: Grand Choulet. Black. Bumpy. Slushy. Hell. Brilliant.
Valloire: Combe Orciere. Blue.
Morzine/Les Gets: Chamoissiere. Red.
Zermatt: ALL OF THEM, impossible to pick a winner.
Cervinia: Ventina (apart from the bit where I lost my girlfriend and had to go the police hut to report her missing - don't ask). Brown.
Nevis: the one under the Warren T-Bar. Black.
La Ros: Fontaine Froide. Red.
La Thuile: "Number 2", named as such for a very good reason. Black.
Sauze d'Oulx: none spring to mind. RUBBISH.
Verbier: Le Lac De Veaux. Black (only cos it was my first ever one and I was proud of myself).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulio,
Quote:

On one particularly icy day I suffered both an involuntary number 1 and number 2 on number 3 Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe I mean 3. I can't distinguish between the two in my memory.

Which is the one where you sail nonchanlently past the 'experts only' sign along a nice red-gradient bit with a view to the right thinking 'experts only my arse" and then round a right-hander and get presented with what looks like a vertical cliff face, by which point it's too far to turn back and the turtle head pops out.

That one.

A day-1 beginner in our group decided it was a good idea to go down there, before she could even reliably snowplough. Happy days.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Top to bottom at Glencoe by virtually any of the pistes is good but I will go spring run to plateau to left of the chair (No idea what it is called)

I prefer Etive Glades, round the back of the knobble of 'The Wall', stay high above the trainer tow, keep well above the plateau & get the black to the carpark, avoiding the cliffs. The higher you stay, the steeper it gets. Steep for much longer than the Flypaper.
I have a photo from the top:
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/neil2829/Glencoe12thJanuary2008?authkey=Gv1sRgCPqftd3C7bXVNw#5156122217464182978
It's really busy, as you can see.

Approx following the line of the chairlift housing on the far right in this photo:
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/neil2829/Glencoe12thJanuary2008?authkey=Gv1sRgCPqftd3C7bXVNw#5176210709300309330

Haven't a photo of the cliffs but they can be seen on the Haggis Trap website. Please don't try skiing off them.

The problem is that it takes at least 45mins to get back up the mountain again.

And of course the variable snow. It doesn't look like this for 4-5months unfortunately. Hope there is plenty (& the lifts are running) this year.

Haven't had the equipment/buddies to head past the cliffs to the (in)famous Creag Dhu Chute yet.

Neil
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
paulio,
Quote:

On one particularly icy day I suffered both an involuntary number 1 and number 2 on number 3 Toofy Grin

Thanks for the warning. Always nice to know in advance which runs are going to make me hurl expletives so I can just avoid them altogether! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia, They're GREAT, those blacks down into La Thuile. Do them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulio, I don't like scary black runs. I could just about stomach the black runs in Kitzbuhel (with the exception of Direttisma, horrid!), but I stayed clear of the four in Courmayeur. I'm out to enjoy myself, not scare myself.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The one I'm thinking about will make you laugh out loud I promise.

It's "ghost train" fear, rather than real fear, innit.

You can always slide down on your bum if you don't fancy it, like ~50% of the people did when I was on it last. Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulio, I quite agree, and I realise the only reason I have huge difficulty skiing down steep/icy/bumpy runs is because my legs are shaking too much to function correctly. That and I'm just too old for bumps, bruises and broken limbs. I really would do anything to avoid falling over, it hurts too much.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
paulio wrote:
The one I'm thinking about will make you laugh out loud I promise.

It's "ghost train" fear, rather than real fear, innit.

You can always slide down on your bum if you don't fancy it, like ~50% of the people did when I was on it last.
Smile

Like when i was in mayrhofen saying 'That Harakiri will be a piece of wee wee' went on the chairlift that goes above it and it was icy as you like and saw a guy go A over T then slide a long way with 1 ski left at the top..... So i thoughtfully declined to go down it in bad snow, but i will one day.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You may be waiting a while for good snow on the Harikiri, just slides off, along with pebbles and boarders
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
At the risk of appearing to be a wuss, I really enjoyed:-

Marvel, Green, Morillon
Jam Park (blue/red I think), Morillon again

I enjoyed them so much as it was the first time I'd been able to ski all day with my sons, on pistes we could all manage AND have fun on!

I can't remember the name of it, but there is a good red in La Tania, that takes you to the gondola station. That was good too
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's to many to name to give a favourite as other of said but a few memorable ones:

I'll second the 4 o'clock run in Breckenridge fora top to bottom blast to finish the day but hang a right onto Sawmill to head back to the bottom of peak 9 for some beer!

Another vote for Breckenridge is Mineshaft, memorable as it was the fist double diamond I ever did with bumps and powder everywhere.

Red 27 into Red 26 into black 21 in Katschberg, usually quite so great for a blast. Only problems are the 3 T-Bars to get back to the top.

I could go on and on and on....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Klosters-Davos, the run from Totalp to Wolfgang. Black. Have to get a train back to town, but its SO worth it for the amazing views. Also, incidently, the route a bloodwagon takes down if you injure yourself on Parsenn. Discovered this after a morning off piste when my ski pal knocked herself out and broke her shoulderblade.

Zermatt, for fun, the blues down the side of the chair at Riffelalp, purely for the joy of Weiss Gluhwein at the Igloo bar. Loooovely.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
whistler.
peak to creek.
snow conditions
paulio wrote:
Maybe I mean 3. I can't distinguish between the two in my memory.

Which is the one where you sail nonchanlently past the 'experts only' sign along a nice red-gradient bit with a view to the right thinking 'experts only my arse" and then round a right-hander and get presented with what looks like a vertical cliff face, by which point it's too far to turn back and the turtle head pops out.

That one.

Ah you describe it so well. Happy times.
latest report
Dave Murry
Whistler.

Preferably at the end of the day when there's no one around, ducking under the closed rope at the top just after the race camp had packed up and gone home. definitely my favourite bit of piste skiing from my season the other year!
snow report
For a fantastic pair of pistes - La Plagne Kamikaze and Hari Kiri. Both reds. Both wonderful.

For a rarity Mont de la Guerre (Red) in La Plagne. it is being improved over the next two years so it may become less of a rarity but also some of the fun will be taken away Crying or Very sad You have to be very lucky or a seasonaire to see this piste at its superb best.

See - Monday, August 17, 2009 | Mont de la Guerre, Verdons and snowfront of Champagny http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/News.htm
ski holidays
Quote:
I have a photo from the top:
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/neil2829/Glencoe12thJanuary2008?authkey=Gv1sRgCPqftd3C7bXVNw#5156122217464182978
It's really busy, as you can see.

Chaaaarge! Smile
snow conditions
Planards-Chamonix

Due to having a 60+ dad, 30 something sister and bro-in-law, 30 something brother and sis-in-law and 4 year old nephew all having fun together! All different ablities loving the same hill covered in snow at the same time!

Who rides piste anyhow? wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy