Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

avoiding the swiss m'way tax geneva - driving directions

Poster: A snowHead
had to share this. have a great route to go through geneva into french resorts without having to pay the £20 swiss motorway tax after you've hired your car on the swiss side...

Start at Rue De Chantepoulet, GENEVE (CH). 245 m
Continue straight onto Rue Du Mont-Blanc.196 m
Continue straight onto Pont Du Mont-Blanc.399 m
Bear left onto Quai Du General-Guisan.274 m
Continue straight onto Rue Francois-Versonnex.100 m
Turn right onto Boulevard Helvetique.345 m
Turn left onto Rue Ferdinand-Hodler.262 m
Continue straight onto Place mile Guynot.55 m
Continue straight onto Route De Malagnou.1.3 km
You just left GENEVA
Continue straight onto Route De Malagnou. 1.2 km
Continue straight onto Route De Malagnou.60 m
Continue straight onto Route De Malagnou. 215 m
Continue straight onto Route De Malagnou.64 m
Continue straight onto Route Blanche. 401 m
Continue straight onto Route Blanche. 504 m
You are leaving Switzerland, and entering France.
Leave the Route Blanche and join the A411. 1.4 km
Leave the A411 and straight ahead into A411. 684 m
Leave the A411 at junction CHANGEUR ANNEMASSE and straight ahead into A40 direction GRENOBLE, [A40] LYON PAR ANNECY, [E25] CHAMONIX-MT BLANC.
This takes you to most the major French resorts...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads, flumpity, snowHead with what must be the most unusual first post I have seen Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Am I missing something?
When we've hired cars on the Swiss side, we haven't paid any Swiss motorway tax, we got waved through on the border check point last time. Was there a vignette on our car already? I thought the tax was payable if you hired on the French side - or have I been a naughty tax evader? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
flumpity, We used to do that route almost every weekend when we lived on the French/Swiss border at Versonnex. It never seemed as difficult as the directions seem to indicate.

IIRC We crossed the border into CH at Ferney-Voltaire then headed straight on down to the Lake, turn right keep the lake to your left and turn left over the Pont du Mont Blanc. Keep going on the main route which I am sure was signposted for Annemasse and Chamonix ( Mont Blanc Tunnel ).

The directions you have do have a different start point, singing chicken street, but both ways converge at the Pont du Mont Blanc.

CP
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hywel, Your hire car must have already had a vignette, the Swiss border police/customs would not fail to spot you with a missing vignette.

CP
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If the border post is on the Autoroute, as it is at Bardonnex for example that most of you pass, then there's no way you'll get into the country without a vignette. You may be able to get out though. If you hired the car in Switzerland it will have a vignette of course.

If you don't want to pay the Swiss motorway toll than may I suggest you don't drive in Switzerland? There's no particular reason I should finance the road system with my tax so you can drive for free on it.

Good luck to anyone following those directions, they start in downtown Geneva not at the airport Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ise, what is it with this vignette that makes everyone leaving Geneva so mean...... Anyway hire on the Swiss side, it's already got the vignette. Who wants to faff about all over the place. What we really want to do is get there as quickly as possible and SKI for goodness sake!!!!! It's onyl 40chf a mere drop in the ocean to what you've paid for the rest of the holiday, Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont, my guess is it becomes some sort of challenge for people Very Happy

For best value, hire in Switzerland and stay here Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ise, I'll have to take you up on that sometime I think. Would love to ski in Switzerland . Maybe next year , once our apartment is earning a living (I hope!!)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I thought the vignette is only needed on the motorway and the Basel border with Germany and the Generva border with France will require it to pass through. Driving in Switzerland the vignette is more important than a passport. At non-motorway borders like Annemasse and Chamonix the guards don't bother.

Thus avoiding paying the motorway tax is not to use the motorway.

Motorists pay much more in France and Italy to use the motorways. Any particular reason why we should avoid the Swiss one? I thought having the vignette in the windscreen is cool in UK because it proves the car survives the journey, especially if you have a few years collection of it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Got my first one this year saikee snowHead . Not sure I'd be so happy if I had paid for it in December though Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We had to buy a National PArk pass when we went to Banff. It was about $70 dollars I think, but was valid for 12 months. Or rather in our case almost 13 as it is valid until the end of the same month. We gave it away to someone to use the next year.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alan Craggs wrote:
Got my first one this year saikee snowHead . Not sure I'd be so happy if I had paid for it in December though Sad

Yes, you would, you'd think "wow, this is a great deal, it's Dec 04 and I just got an 05 vignette that lasts till the end of January 06, how good a deal is that?" .... at least most people would Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now I have a story to tell.

I had a 2004 Swiss motorway tax vignette. I crossed the Geneva border and then Basel border when I returned back to UK on 9 January 2005 fully expecting to pay for the 2005 tax.

However I wasn't stopped. Is there is grey period like UK that the tax disc covers a small period of the following year?

The Swiss vignette is applied by the border guards personally to the car windscreen inside and normally would tear off if removed, making it impossible to transfer to other vehicles. Just before the arrival to the border some people pre-coated the windscreen with moisture on winscreen and can remove the vignette later for transferring to another vehicle. This is illegal but is known to practise by some UK mortorists who go to Switzerland at different times.

Until the longest road tunnel was built in Norway in the last year or two the Swiss vignette entitles a motorist to go through the St Gortard tunnel, longest record holder at the time, free. That alone should make paying the vignette worthwhile.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
saikee wrote:
Now I have a story to tell.

I had a 2004 Swiss motorway tax vignette. I crossed the Geneva border and then Basel border when I returned back to UK on 9 January 2005 fully expecting to pay for the 2005 tax.

However I wasn't stopped. Is there is grey period like UK that the tax disc covers a small period of the following year?

That's what I just said Very Happy eg. a 2005 vignette covers 1/12/2004 until 31/1/2006 so your 2004 one was valid from 1/12/2003 until 31/1/2005
snow conditions
ise,

Thanks for the confirmation.
snow report
In practice apart from the borders they're not checked much, I saw a guy this morning in the local petrol station buying a 05 pass which he probably should have had already.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy