Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski helmet virgin - experiences.....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been secretly convinced that it would be a good idea to get a helmet for a few years now, but I keep putting it off. A bit like giving up smoking - unarguably the right thing to do, but something that'll wait until another day. I was full of doubt. It would be too hot. It would weigh heavily on my neck muscules. I wouldn't be able to hear anything. I'd look like a prat.

So last week in Wengen, with a race on the Lauberhorn looming, I put my money on the counter and walked out of Central Sport carrying a shiney new helmet.

The bad news is I still look a bit of a prat, though no more so than in my trusty beanie hat. But my fears about comfort and acoustics have proved unfounded. The helmet is warm, but insulation can be adjusted on the move with a simple lever. Hearing is a little impaired at a standstill, but once on the move there's no discernable difference. Weight is the biggest surprise; I can feel no difference when wearing the helmet at all.

I suspect that there are a goodly number of 'mature' skiers who share my fears about helmets. Don't worry. Spend some time finding one that fits and you'll be fine.

I'll be wearing mine all the time now, particularly as it is completely impossible to use a mobile phone with it on my bonce. It wish I could say that it improved my performance on the Lauberhorn, but I suspect you've already guessed that it did no such thing.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
telford_mike, what make did you buy?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
telford_mike wrote:
I'll be wearing mine all the time now

Very wise; you never know what might happen in the bath or on the train.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
richmond, he he he.

telford_mike, Well done you. I had exactly the same fears. Loss of comfort and sound were my biggest worries, but it just isnt so. I have a Giro fuse now, and think it is excellent (much better than the one i had before it which did block out sound). These days i dont ski without it. Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nick Zotov it is a Giro Fuse. richmond - never joke about these things - a few years ago I slipped whilst taking a post-skiing (and therefore post apres-ski) shower, and broke 2 ribs!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
telford_mike wrote:
Nick Zotov it is a Giro Fuse. richmond - never joke about these things - a few years ago I slipped whilst taking a post-skiing (and therefore post apres-ski) shower, and broke 2 ribs!

Just when you think it's safe to relax ... It would have to have been a very big helmet to save your ribs, mind you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Giro is good. My wife bought one for the extra venting--good when it gets warmer. I'm still wearing an older Boeri. I remove the ear patches when it gets warm and that usually does the trick. Helmets with a lot of temperature moderation devices tend to be the best.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

particularly as it is completely impossible to use a mobile phone with it on my bonce

I find my mobile phone wedges quite nicely between my helmet and my ear, making it hands free (after I've taken my pole straps and gloves off, and finally managed to get it out of my pocket) but only for use on the lifts, of course.

Yesterday a woman asked me what was the deal with every one wearing helmets now (she wasn't), to which I replied that I like my head intact after someone hits me (don't ask). I don't think she got the point.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hi,

ive been wearing a helmet and a back protector for a couple of years now ... god bless em! However like a lot of you guys im really taken by the giro and fancy an upgrade, doesn't look like ill make it to S+R or EB before next week so does anywhere know of anywhere in Courch that stocks these, looked last year but not much luck. Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy