Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North America pre Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
I'd like to do a 10 day N. America before Christmas this year. Front contender is Banff/ Lake Louise as I've done it before and like it. Where else is worth a look at that time of year? Not into off piste.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnboy wrote:
I'd like to do a 10 day N. America before Christmas this year. Front contender is Banff/ Lake Louise as I've done it before and like it. Where else is worth a look at that time of year? Not into off piste.

I think I would do it as a late booking, to work out where the best conditions are. I don't think you'll have much trouble booking last minute. Especially B/LL, which is maybe not a bad choice.

It can seem very dark, and very cold, if you choose Canada, December time...... Skullie

John.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BCjohnny,

Cold and dark, yes. But no darker than staying at home. We are further North than Calgary.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whistler generally has much better early snow than Banff/LL - we ski there most Novembers and have had some wonderful conditions. You'll likely be mostly skiing man-made in the Banff area around that time. The Salt lake City area is probably another good option, as well as various places in Colorado which get early snow. But yeah, decide sometime around late November, and consider DIY-ing as nowhere is busy/expensive before Xmas.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gortonator, Thanks for the info. Whistler sounds good. We skied Banff/LL in November/December 2004 and the snow was fantastic especially at Sunshine. Very Happy

Will have a look at what's available in Colorado.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I,ve always done Thanks giving ski trips at the last minute. Quite often there is enough snow (natural & artificial) but other times its just manmade & lift operations are limited or very limted.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy, Sunshine has the longest season in the rockies so the snow should be at least decent and they host one of the first World Cup races at Lake Louise so again snow should be reasonable by then
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
it's cold in the Rockies and they make a lot of man-made at LL for the downhill - we were there last thxgiving, quick blog report and a few pics at links below:

http://gortonator.spaces.live.com/?_c11_BlogPart_BlogPart=blogview&_c=BlogPart&partqs=amonth%3d12%26ayear%3d2008

http://cid-af2dd3cc35cc7adf.skydrive.live.com/play.aspx/.res/af2dd3cc35cc7adf!2137/AF2DD3CC35CC7ADF!2138?ct=photos

Basically there were about 8 runs open, and rock damage was unavoidable. It was a slow start to the season everywhere tho. It obviously gets better as December goes on and they make more snow (and even get some snowfall), but anything apart from blue groomers is going to be rocky as they simply don't get much early snow there. See the Canadian Rockies page at the snowfall 'bible'

http://webpages.charter.net/tcrocker818/

and compare with Whistler and USA.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know I'm a broken record, but El Nino is going to effect the snow, wait and watch just to see how the El Nino starts out this year CA may not look so good if we don't get the right conditions.
May still get a decent early start before things go warmer otherwise you may want to try California or Colorado this year.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pinhead, by no means are all El Nino horrors. It's a concern, but if you have to plan in advance, averages are the best you have.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you can wait will late November to book, you maybe able to see which region is in good shape.

I'm not familiar with Banff/Lake Louise. A flight to Denver would also be a good bet as a jump off point. Steamboat is quite well known for early season snow. So is A-basin and Loveland, which both reliably opens in November most years. You can easily get to all of the above from Denver.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I spent 17th - 26th December last year at Winter Park CO. Coverage was good and all runs/lifts open. They were still building the terrain park there though.

Not too fond of the altitude but I'd go back there at that time of year in a flash. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mammoth? It's probably where I'll be unless we get dumped on, and if that's the case I'll be in Tahoe having fun! snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any thoughts on Jasper? It's looking more like Canada anyway.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jasper might be a bit limiting for 10 days: it's quite a small hill (especially if coverage is poor).

My understanding is that El Nino tends to adversely affect the Rockies, whilst favouring the coastal ranges (Whistler & PNW generally, Mammoth) but doubtless pinhead and gortonator have a better idea of this.
latest report
johnboy, what BCJohnny says. Book late... very late.

we have done the last 2 Christmases in the rockies - can be a bit touch and go.
snow report
johnboy wrote:
Any thoughts on Jasper? It's looking more like Canada anyway.

I'm out in Jasper (Marmot), mid March, fourth time out there.

I'm not sure I would ever go pre-Christmas though, as it can still be quite bare late season, which is Marmot's biggest failing. Went once over Xmas/New Year and it was ok, though not brilliant.

I was told there are strict limitations, to how much clearing can be done (rocks and such), by the Park Authorities, and this has the obvious effects (mainly off-trail, un-groomed trail etc) if snowfall hasn't been up to scratch.

As you mainly stick to groomers, Marmot is not probably the best choice. Take no notice of the trail map as it makes the place look more extreme than it is. Some of the black diamonds are no worse than some european blues, it's a bit of a joke in all honesty. Having said that there are some seriously good trails there, the aptly named "Paradise" f'rinstance, is a lovely rolling (euro) red, you will do time after time.

And though not applying to you, the lower mountain is a beginners dream.

Where it comes into it's own is all the stuff around "Eagle East/Ridge", "Caribou Ridge" and "the Knob". I know it's horses for courses and all that, and not disrespecting other peoples views, but if I here the "don't go to Jasper 'cause you'll get bored after a couple of days" advice again, the subsequent post might just be packed out with "fitzwilliams". Even at my standard (which is pretty decent all-mountain) it can be pretty challenging, bringing out the "$hit eating grin" look as many times as your legs will stand. Although Jasper ticks other boxes (ie compromise), would I be going back for my seventh/eighth week if it was boring?

Ive posted other stuff on Jasper a search will bring up, if you're tempted. But go late season.

Personally, I would book as late as you can, and chase the snow. I've had a lot of offers in my inbox regarding Canada over the last week or so and, while not saying the TOs are panicking already, I really don't think youll be stuck for choice, especially '09 dates. If I wasn't already heading for the sun, I might have been tempted myself.

Hope this helps.

John.
snow conditions
Acacia wrote:
Jasper might be a bit limiting for 10 days: it's quite a small hill (especially if coverage is poor).

My understanding is that El Nino tends to adversely affect the Rockies, whilst favouring the coastal ranges (Whistler & PNW generally, Mammoth) but doubtless pinhead and gortonator have a better idea of this.

my usual reply in this thread ... check crocker's snow fall site:

http://webpages.charter.net/tcrocker818/

link towards bottom does a good statistical analysis of El Nino effects on various resorts

Whistler is in the mildly effected table -5-10% normal snowfall. Also to quote the Lake Louise page:

"For those who still want to reserve early, consider that the Banff region averages 120% of normal snow in La Nina years (most recent 2000, 1999 and 1997). Conversely, El Nino snowfall averages only 85% of normal (1998 and 1993 were particularly poor)."

In general El Nino's are average to below average in the PNW. But my fingers are crossed ...
latest report
BCjohnny, stoatsbrother, gortonator,

Cheers folks, all good advice. Think I'll hold off as long as I can. Last time we stayed in The Chateau waith 2 nights in the sunshine inn which was great, but what is it like staying in Banff?

I loved the isolation of the Sunshine Inn and the scenery at the Chateau.
snow conditions
gortonator, I'm hoping for the best and expect a good start in Nov to the Season, but the last two El Nino's were truly awful and I'll be skiing rock skis all season if it's the same. Don't know why but some of the El Nino's have started out quite nicely it just doesn't follow through for the season. Lets just say I'm hoping we won't be looking at bare ground at the base of chair 3 this one.
I did have a great time in Banff during the World Cup at LL one Nov but it was not the snow quality or quantity, both were thin, more the quality of company and the apres.
snow report
johnboy, Banff is fairly nice. The Caribou is a little out of town but a decent mid range-ish hotel.
ski holidays
pinhead, which El Nino's are you referring to? 2004/05 presumably (I missed that one!!) and? 06/07 was an El Nino too, but wasn't too bad at all if I remember correctly?

The SOI is mild right now (-5) - hope it heads further towards zero and above wink
ski holidays
Spoke to a guy just last night, back from the rockies train thing, and they've had a dusting (peaks) outside the icefields late August.

I'm not sure it's pin-a-name-on-it that's what you'll get kinda deal.

The Weather, as I'm sure you know, is not that simple.

Here's hoping.

John.
ski holidays
gortonator, My logs aren't quite the quality yours are but it's not hard to remember brown slopes and we had two El Nino seasons where bottom of chair 3 was the snow line and the bottom of chair 4 was not open either season, considering the great fun I had the last two seasons skiing down to the bottom of 4 in deep powder it's hard to get excited about another El Nino except they do lead to La Nina's. Smile

I still have high hopes for Nov just not the entire season.

BCjohnny, It is snowing in the Cascades and they were talking 1'-2'.
ski holidays
pinhead, yep, i think 06/07 we hardly got down to the bottom of chair 4. It really is an improvement at Silver when the snow is down that low.
snow conditions
gortonator, Just clearing the road gap on Moonshine in a bad year can be interesting, and the trees between Moonshine and Lower Ridge well if you've been there you know if not Twisted Evil

johnboy, Banff has quite a bit going on in the evening compared to staying at Sunshine staying up at LL is quiet too but a few more options than at SSV. The old train station up by LL had excellent dining. You could get a rental and that opens up the ski options in the area. Kicking Horse, Revy
latest report
What about Whistler?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy