Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long does it take to hike from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg?

Poster: A snowHead
A fast walk that would be, not a stroll.

The reason I ask is that (one day in the distant future!) I'd like to complete the Jungfrau Marathon. It is basically a flat / undulating first half from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen, followed by a brutal slog uphill to Kleine Scheidegg. The cut off time for the whole thing is 6:30hrs.

Evidently there are large parts of this race that are walked by all but elite runners!

I'm trying to work out if it would be possible to complete the race in the time if you treat it as a Half marathon, followed by a long hard fast hike. If so then Hong Kong is probably a great place to train for it, as there's loads of hilly hiking round here, and lots of my training runs are more run / walks, with the walking being up the very steep bits!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Beanie1.

Try this site to map the run and give you a steer on it's length and gradient. www. mapmyrun.com You can map from Interlaken to Wengen using the street view but you need the satellite view to map from Wengen to Keine Scheidegg. The railway line between the two is a good approximation of the path between the two as the path follows the railway route generally.

Ball park route plan is as follows

Place Distance Height gained
Interlaken start 0km 0m
Wilderswil 3.3km 21m
Zweilutchenin 8.7km 90m
Lauterbrunnen 12.5km 234m
Wengen 15.8km 678m
Allmend 17.3km 879m
Wengernalp 20.2km 1256m
KS 22.3km 1468m

Could you plot a route in HK that approximated the distances and gradient and find out your own times?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skibb, thanks for that, I'll give it a go! Though I'm generally a bit rubbish doing things like this.

The highest peak in HK is only 957m, so it would have to be up and down a few! And the altitude can't be replicated here...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
beanie1, I think the last time I tried hiking up it took me over an hour but I was very unfit in those days, less than an hour now, I do know that once upon a time there was a local who could beat the train up! He used to have a friendly wagewr with tourists, last one to the Hotel Eiger bar would buy drinks ! But I think that might have been when they were using the old somewhat slower line
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1, I would have thought a few hikes along the Dragons Back or around the country parks on HK Island last month would have got your lungs pumping - 30+ degrees and 90 percent humidity does the trick wink Things are cooling down a bit for you though now Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Beanie1:

Just googled the Jungfrau Marathon ( curiousity is a terrible thing, isn't it?). My assumed route above is very different to the actual full marathon route. A more detailed breakdown of the route and elevations is here

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ch/interlaken/731125171874061464

skibb
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lauterbrunnen to wengen is one hour, any more and you should be ashamed. Wengen scheidegg is 3 or more the way the marathon goes. That race is for the mentally insane imo. Work is not fun that day Evil or Very Mad
If you're too slow or look like death is knocking on your door they will pull you out of the race, and shoot you probably.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Duhh must have been tired when I posted earlier read it as Lauterbrunnen to Wengen Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf, I misread as well, didnt read it took you over an hour once, I didnt mean you should be ashamed, I meant finely tuned athletes Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1, it's not just completing it in 6h30, you have to be ahead of the "time" at each checkpoint for them to let you continue to the next. Jonny luv plums is right - it's for the mentally insane only! Let us know if you decide to go for it Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Elizabeth B, can you let me know next time when your parents are arriving, I'll take a warm jacket to work. 4 degrees and raining on saturday Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonny luv plums, don't worry about it I was arround 25 stone in weight at the time, It amazes me that I even managed to make it up from Lauterbrunnen, let alone that it only took me a bit over an hour to do so Laughing

I can remember one year in I think late July or Early August someone running past me just above Wengeneralp station dressed in running kit, it sticks in the mind because at the time I was walking up through about 8 inches of fresh snow in a light snowstorm, not bad as the day before it was 30 C in the shade Shocked Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonny luv plums, sorry, I meant to warn you but forgot Embarassed

At least it's not snowing yet!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
it's for the mentally insane only!
Hmmmm.... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jerry, up for it Jerry?!

I won't be doing it next year, need to get a few more "flat" marathons under my belt first at a decent pace!

I think the cut off time to reach Wengen is about 4hrs?
ski holidays
Jonny luv plums, So that means Lauterbrunnen - Scheidegg could be done in 4 hours? That means if you can do the first half in 2 hours, then it would be possible to walk the second half and complete it within 6.30 hours. Which sounds a lot more achievable than running most of it!
latest report
The hike from Lauterbrunnen - Kleine scheidegg on the roadsigns is 4:30.
Lauterbrunnen-Wengen 1:30

I tend to cut these times in half or less.

A few weeks back I hiked from Lauterbrunnen to Mannlichen; from Ey-busstop to Wengen Station I took 37 minutes.... but that was a fair bit quicker pace then i'd use for a 5 hour event...

On a sidenote: I hope to do the inferno half marathon next year; from Lauterbrunnen to Schilthorn...
snow report
Ronald, do you think if you'd just completed a slightly hilly half marathon you'd be able to hike from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg in 4:30?

Inferno half marathon, wow that sounds tough!
snow report
Worth keeping in mind that the marathon route doesn't just go up the rat-run to Scheidegg. You run to Wixi then up Black Rock to Eigergletcher, then down to Scheidegg. Nuts!
snow conditions
Hello beanie1,

I can only remember taking the train up from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg and the thought of running seems very strenuous. When D G Orf said he could do it in an hour, my jaw dropped - but that was a misunderstanding Laughing. Yesterday I did a walk with about 760m height difference and that took me two hours, going very gently!

(BTW, many thanks for the adaptive manual, which I received a few weeks back - interesting but pretty complicated.)
snow conditions
espri, glad you found it interesting. It all makes more sense once you've done the practical course.
ski holidays
Ah but none of you have commented on my tale of the local who could beat the train up from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, personally I was amazed by the story but apparently it happened quite regularly, a hell of a way to earn your beers though Shocked
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
Ah but none of you have commented on my tale of the local who could beat the train up from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, personally I was amazed by the story but apparently it happened quite regularly, a hell of a way to earn your beers though Shocked

Maybe he had a motorbike hidden away somewhere Laughing
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
Ah but none of you have commented on my tale of the local who could beat the train up from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, personally I was amazed ...

It might well be possible, for I was equally amazed by the record for climbing the Matterhorn, from the Hörnli Hütte (3260m) to the summit (4478m). Simon Amthamatten and Michael Lerjen did this in 1 hr 40 mins (and 53 mins back down again). Phew! The usual time for the round trip is about 10 hours.

See http://www.alpinist.com/doc/_print/web07f/newswire-matterhorn-hornli-ridge-record and http://climbing.about.com/od/mountainclimbing/a/MatterhornFacts.htm.
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
then down to Scheidegg.
Downhill finish beanie! it's getting better! Laughing
PS. It's this weekend isn't it ?
latest report
D G Orf wrote:

there's a few ways up though, and short cuts, and depends on the time of day with the train crossovers half way. I couldnt do it though.
snow conditions
Jerry, yes it's this weekend. That would be the major downside of training for it whilst out here - I'd have to be doing my longest runs in July / August, when it's so hot and humid here! At the moment even running 6 or 7 miles in this heat is very tough, I can't imagine being able to do 18 or 20...
latest report
beanie1, a friend of mine is South african; she used to run during the (very) early mornings due to temperature.

How would temperatures be around say ... 6 AM Wink?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, Just been talking to a mate of mine who's done it (twice) - he says Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen would make a lovely half Laughing which they did in about two hours, then another four to hike the last half, which as he says gets steeper the further you get, but thoroughly recommended it.
ski holidays
Jerry, so he didn't run the second half at all then? Hmmm...

When do those entries open again?!
snow conditions
beanie1, Well, he said it wasn't that "runnable" especially during the later stages, more a fast hike, and did mention the thinness of the air.
First time he did it with the boys was glorious with stunning views, so he went back again with the girlfriend and it was all thick cloud Sad Says he still enjoyed (!) though.
snow conditions
On a sort of related subject, can you drive up to Wengen?

From what I remember it would be impossible to get anything up from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen. But in the summer it strikes me that it should be possible to get a 4WD there, going up the Brandegg run from Grund to Kleine Scheigegg and then down the rough track from KS to Wengen. Is this something the locals do?
latest report
pjd, it's possible and the farmers do it, there's been a vw passat driving around by the top of fallboden for a few weeks now.. Some idiots turn up now and again on scheidegg in rental cars closely followed by the police. Most cars get up to wengen on the back of the train from lauterbrunnen.
ski holidays
Jonny luv plums , thanks - interesting. I think I'll stick to leaving my car in the expensive car park in Lauterbrunnen. Presumably the same goes for Muerren - that you can get up there by car on the track but you'll be hunted down by the ploice if you try.
ski holidays
http://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/97335/

Preview to this years marathon (in english!)
ski holidays
2:49, wow. So hard to get your head round elite marathon runners' times.
latest report
pjd, some friends in Wegen who are farmers drove their little jeep type vehicle up from Lauterbrunnen, you need a small suzuki style 4x4 to do so as anything wider won't go arround the corners, as Jonny luv plums, says anything else comes up on the train, I believe in the summer you can drive up the Mannlichen however as I've seen a parking area just below the top station of the Gondola, also that road is tarmac, everywhere else the "Roads" are in fact only gravel covered tracks
ski holidays
D G Orf, I cycled up to Mannlichen from Grund; plenty of signs noting it was only allowed for the Farmers etc...

You are allowed up to Aspen and maybe a little on...
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
2:49
Shocked I couldn't do that running it the other way! Laughing
latest report
tonight is forecast 100kph winds and snow to 1700m, Laughing cool runnings indeed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy