Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Amade or Kitzbuhel - Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Any tips on the best place to stay? We're in our 30's, no children, we'd like easy access to a few lifts if possible, near a bus stop going to linked resorts and preferably near shops and restuarants.

We've been to Obergurgl and St Anton and like the look of the Amade or Kitzbuhel - but I don't know much about either of them.

Where do we go and what is not to be missed?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 30-08-09 23:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's great. Flangesax will be along shortly with lots of 'local' info I'm sure Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I stayed in Wagrain, from where you can ski into Alpendorf one way and Flachau the other. I never got as far as taking the bus elsewhere, but I loved the area and it's on my "places to return to" list so that I can explore a bit more.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I liked Flachau and Wagrain.
And LOVED Zauchensee/Flachauwinkl, absolutely brilliant area. However I would not stay there, not much to do after skiing.

We stayed in Flachau, very spread out village so you would have to be careful with the location. We stayed on the main street short walk in the evening to the bars and restaurant. Main Flachau gondola was just under 10min walk which was ok for me in snowboard boots but not as easy for my girlfriend so we took a ski bus from time to time.

From the same bus stop there is a free bus (around 10-15 minutes) to take you to the Flachauwinkl. From where you can ski to Zauchensee. Very easy.

Flachau area itself is rather very busy and runs are similar but I liked it. Nice long empty runs on the sides of the mountain under 2 other gondolas. Almost all the lifts there are brand new, amazing. No drag lifts at all.

When you ski on the other side of the Flachau mountain to Wagrain, you take ski bus (10min or so) which will get you to the Wagrein/Alpendorf side. Lots of terrain there. Doable to ski from Flachau to Alpendorf and back in one day. Just keep an eye on the time.

I think for 2010/2011 season they plan to connect Flachau to the Wagrain/Alpendorf mountain with similar “mountain to mountain” kind of gondola as the one in Whistler.
For the next season there will be new 8 person chairlift in Flachau, new gondola and chair in Flachauwinkl/Zauchensee and new gondola in Wagrain so lots of investments.

Lots of cruising everywhere, but Zauchensee by far the best.

There are some nice bars, clubs and restaurants in Flachu. From nice and cosy with good food and fireplace to loud snowboarder’s bar.

There is also a huge wooden place - Musistadl, with two very busy bars playing live bands every day. It’s got very “German” feel but that maybe makes it interesting. We were there at the end of March and at the weekend the bars were very busy which is good.
http://www.flachauer-gutshof.at

PS
If you have a car Flachau is rather central in Ski Amade and right next to the motorway. Schladming and Obertauern are close as well (Salzburgerland Ski Pass required for Obertauern as it is not in Ski Amade but has better snow usually)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jerry, moi??... Laughing

Tom W, has hit the nail on the head, excellent info for Flachau and the near areas.

If you want to try to get as much as the 'red' sportwelt area of skiamade in (without a hire car) then I recommend Wagrain.
Here you have the graffenburg for Wagrain and Alpendorf, and the Mozart lift for Flachau.
The shuttlebus from the bottom of Graffenburg can take you to either the Mozart lift or can take you up to Kleinarl, which links to Flachauwinkl.
If you get the first bus then there is no reason why you ouldn't play for a bit in Zauchensee (Kleinarl over to Flachauwinkl over to Zauchensee)

I am lucky as I can get busses from the end of my street to Fageralm and Reiteralm. These are on the 'green' dachstein bit of Amadé.
Fageralm is an incredibly quiet place which is great for families.
Reiteralm is piste-awarded and also links into Schladming which inturn links into Hauser Kaibling - this is a great days skiing.
I can also jump on the bus to Radstadt which is a little lump (but I love it) and ski down to Altenmarkt then get the bus up to Zauchensee and do all of the things I mentioned above.... or if I am feeling lazy get in the car and get to any of them in 20min!

Quote:

For the next season there will be new 8 person chairlift in Flachau, new gondola and chair in Flachauwinkl/Zauchensee and new gondola in Wagrain so lots of investments.

Flachau's new 8 man is to take you from near the gondola to the summit... so replaces the older slow uncovered chair.
Fwink/Zauch - At Flachauwinkl but on the Zauchensee side, the red gondola is being replaced with a new shiny one and the slow triple chair at th top of this is being upgraded to a fat chair.
Wagrain... new lift station at the Graffenburg. Then a new lift to take you to a 'mid' station just bove the chair lift on that side. So next year you can ski down to the linkin cable car over to Flachau.

So... loads to consider - it is a massive area and there are very few poo parts.. I wouldn't stay in Eben though as it takes longer to get anywhere else and is quite a limited area.... good luck!.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hello All,
I'm off to Schladming at the end of Jan. 2010 with my geordie mate and am interested in some private off-piste lessons.I would be grateful if anyone has any info or contact details.We are both advanced/expert skiers but only have limited piste-side off-piste experience and would like to get some lessons to learn about the proper technique,equipment,safety issues etc. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If there is a new lift going in for 2010/11 we might leave the Amade for then. We love Austria so there is plenty to tick off!

I've also been reading about Kitzbuhel and the skiing in the linked areas around there. Sounds lovely but for end Jan/early Feb would the low altitude likely be as much of an issue? Anyone been with any tips for there too?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Farry, Amadé doesn't exactly need the new cable-car... it is more of the icing on the cake!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
briand6868,

There are some ski schools in Schaldming that I am sure would be interested. snowHead Waynos is a very fine off-pister and knows the chladders area very well... he may be around when you are... I also know a private tutor who is excellent. He may even come and get you to whisk you to somewhere with a bit more pow.

Are you an "advanced/expert skier" in the eyes of an Austran instructor?...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Farry, I wouldn't give up on Amade too easily, given the choice I would pick up Flachau over the Kitzbuhel again (although I never been there Wink. Off to Schaldmig this winter to explore more, but still hoping to get one day in Zauchensee. It is all so close. Gastein valley in Amade is tempting but will have to wait for another trip.

But if you consider something different there is Saalbach as well - big and superb skiing, amazing scenery and even better apres.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wonder if taking a car would a week be enough to explore the major Amade areas and leaving perhaps Gastein Valley for a second trip as I have there once.

Flachau seems to be the central between Dachstein and Alpendorf.

From the ski maps these large areas seem to be independent and self contained.

Haus/Schladming/Pichl
Ramsan am Dachstein
Radstadt/Zauchensea/Flachau Winkl
Flachau
Wagrain/Alpendorf

Just want to sample the area and then drive to Cortina Ampezzo for the second week to try the un-visited parts of the Dolomites.

Any advice?

Seem to me Kitzbuhel is just one resort whereas Amade is a region. Having said that Kitzbuhel is formed by linking Kirchberg, Jocherg and Mittersill making it a sizable resort for a skiing holiday. For Amade the visitors have to be bused around to try the neighboring areas.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The idea of a Peak2Peak style gondola between the two sides of wagrain sounds excellent. I went to the area april 08 and loved and want to go back, especially with the excellent B+B lift pass deals available! I just wish there was more flights available to Salzburg!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Gastein Valley is part of Ski Amade but while it looks close to the rest of it on the Amade pano, it's a fair hike in the car from Gastein to Wagrain for example (although Dorfgastein is linked to Grossarl). Hochkonig is the closest area. I've never been to Hochkonig but it sounds like a little unknown gem!

However don't rule it out Gastein - there's more than enough to keep most people entertained for a couple of weeks and it's one of the highest parts of the Ski Amade. I've been going for the last 3 years and still haven't done every piste. They keep making new ones! snowHead

Go to Ski Amade though, you won't be disappointed whichever resort you choose. Have fun!

Cheers
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swskier wrote:
I just wish there was more flights available to Salzburg!

Look at flying to Munich. There's a good direct train service to the region or just drive it. It's not much further. Sleazyjet fly to Stansted-Munich about 3 times a day in the ski season, then there are all the other airlines.

Cheers
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kersh, [/b]Hochkonig is an excellent area. We spent a week in Dorfgastein in March and moved on to Dienten am Hochkonig for our second week. Could not believe how deserted the slopes were. At times it was a shock to share the piste with other skiers! Will definately be going back at some time in the future.

We have skied most of the major areas in ski amade now with the exception of Zauchensee which is high on our list for this winter. We have enjoyed them all although I think Wagrain and Gastein are my favourites to date!
snow report
I can only really comment on the areas of zauchensee/flauchauwinkl/kleinarl & Flachau/Wagrain/Alpendorf the 2 areas linked by a short bus ride.
With the exception of Zauch, what these areas have are long descents red/blues with constant pitch which are great for fast GS turns [wonder why skiers such as Maier and Walchofer developed here] tree lined great in bad weather with a real sense of travel between areas e.g Ski from Flachau-Alpendorf and back or Zauch to Kleinarl.
Zauchensee in addition has some really quite steep pistes and ski routes. In addition has excellent [relatively safe] easily accessible off piste particularly off Gamskogel.
The lift system throughout is excellent and huts atmospheric.
Radstadt/Altenmarkt is a small seperate area [used by locals predominantly] but again has some great top to bottom runs and you could easily spend a day there. I lived in Altenmarkt, however flachau is probably the most central, however all these areas and Filzmoos [great beginners/early intermediate area], Schladming and others are easily reached by car.

If possible avoid the Austrian/ German /+/-Dutch holidays -whilst this region is still new to the majority of Brits it is these countries' 'Trois Vallees' and although it only affects a few weeks each year it can become very busy!
latest report
Hi Flangesax,
To link up with someone in the know during that week would be great. As to whether I come up to the advanced/expert level in the eyes of an Austrian ski instructor that would depend a little on he or she's opinion but I was given the once over by the cousin of a former double world champion G.S. Austrian skier who has achieved the highest level of Austrian ski instructor award and he thinks I measure up, on piste at least, and I am taking my Level 1 ski instructor assessment next month also so hopefully he won't be too disappointed.I was on the site of the Ramsau ski school who do off piste tuition and also back country tours at a reasonable rate, any idea if there any good ? Very Happy
latest report
saikee, if you will have a car and spend there just one week I think those will be plenty for you:
Schladming (Haus, Planai, Hochwurzen and Reiteralm)
Flachau, Wagrain-Alpendorf
Zauchensee-Flachauwinkl

In fact maybe this is even too much for a week.

Only time you will really need a car is to move from Schladming area to Flachau. It is probably half hour drive but might take 2h by buses Wink
Although I am going to try this winter to do a day trip from Schladming to Zauchensee (train+bus I think)

It will be extremely hard to move by bus between the main areas of Amade, unless you waste half day for changes.

Gastein is a bit remote and big enough so I am gonna leave it for a separate trip.

As I mentioned before Obertauern is worth a visit if you have a car there - different feel than Ski Amade and excellent snow.
snow report
If going to Zauchensee by road then stop off at the Radstadt/Altenmarkt hill. Not massive but some great skiing.
ski holidays
I have skied both areas (Amadé staying in St. Johann im Pongau, Alpendorf: Hotel Oberforsthof; Kitzbühel from home, both with my car available for transport) and both areas are great. I would be happy with either.

I wouldn't expect any snow problems in the Kitzbühel area at the end of January.

With a car available, we covered quite a bit of Ski Amadé in a week from St. Johann i P (but by no means all of it).
Day 1: St. Johann i P - Wagrain
Day 2: Bad Hofgastein
Day 3: Flachauwinkel - Zauchensee
Day 4: Großarl - Dorfgastein
Day 5: Reiteralm - Planai - Hauser Kaibling
Day 6: St. Johann i P - Wagrain
(and then Fieberbrunn on the road home).

These days were spent speeding around each area, just discovering the runs. You could obviously spend much more time in each place.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 1-09-09 18:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
flangesax wrote:
Jerry, moi??... Laughing

Tom W, has hit the nail on the head, excellent info for Flachau and the near areas.

If you want to try to get as much as the 'red' sportwelt area of skiamade in (without a hire car) then I recommend Wagrain.
Here you have the graffenburg for Wagrain and Alpendorf, and the Mozart lift for Flachau.
The shuttlebus from the bottom of Graffenburg can take you to either the Mozart lift or can take you up to Kleinarl, which links to Flachauwinkl.
If you get the first bus then there is no reason why you ouldn't play for a bit in Zauchensee (Kleinarl over to Flachauwinkl over to Zauchensee)

I am lucky as I can get busses from the end of my street to Fageralm and Reiteralm. These are on the 'green' dachstein bit of Amadé.
Reiteralm is piste-awarded and also links into Schladming which inturn links into Hauser Kaibling - this is a great days skiing.
I can also jump on the bus to Radstadt which is a little lump (but I love it) and ski down to Altenmarkt then get the bus up to Zauchensee and do all of the things I mentioned above.... or if I am feeling lazy get in the car and get to any of them in 20min!

Quote:

Flachau's new 8 man is to take you from near the gondola to the summit... so replaces the older slow uncovered chair.
Fwink/Zauch - At Flachauwinkl but on the Zauchensee side, the red gondola is being replaced with a new shiny one and the slow triple chair at th top of this is being upgraded to a fat chair.
Wagrain... new lift station at the Graffenburg. Then a new lift to take you to a 'mid' station just bove the chair lift on that side. So next year you can ski down to the linkin cable car over to Flachau.

So... loads to consider - it is a massive area and there are very few poo parts.. I wouldn't stay in Eben though as it takes longer to get anywhere else and is quite a limited area.... good luck!.

Hi to all!!

We re a family of four with 2 kids ages 11 and 7 (actually we have a third who is off on a school ski trip while we are away) and we would like to try Wagrain. I am having trouble locating good accommodation in the Wagrain area close to the lifts (a bit of a problem with too long a walk with the 7 year old in ski boots rolling eyes ) Any ideas would be appreciated. We are going from 13th to 20 Feb 2010 and prefer half board (I need a holiday too Smile Also, I have promised the 11 year old she can learn snow boarding this year - are there any good ski scholls in Wagrain area which teach snowboarding for beginners (though she does wakeboard)

All replies appreciated
snow report
flangesax wrote:
Jerry, moi??... Laughing

Quote:

HI to all, plenty of info here but can you suggest some good accomodation close to the lifts in Wagrain. We will be with our 7 year old who cannot walk that far in ski boots. Also first time in Wagrain, does it have a snowboard school? I have promised my 11 year old daughter she can learn snowboarding this year

thanks in advance guys
snow conditions
flangesax wrote:
Jerry, moi??... Laughing

Quote:

Hi to all

Plenty of info here but can anyone recommend accommodation close to the lifts we have a 7 year old in tow who doesnt like to walkj far in ski boots. also, we have promised 11 year old daughter she can learn to snowboard this year instead of ski - any good snowboarding schookl nearby? thanks guys
latest report
I can recommend Hotel Edelweiss (www.mein-edelweiss.at), located mid mountain beside Red 8 gondola. A quality hotel altough obviously being mid mountain you are isolated from the main village. Food is superb, excellent pool and wellness facilites and hotel has in house ski rental/servicing.
snow conditions
carolwags, plenty of good hotels in all price ranges in Alpendorf that are near the lifts. Alpendorf is the alm village for St Johann im Pongau. Don't confuse it with the other one - St Johann in Tirol, as a well-known ski info site did! Laughing

They tend to be booked up pretty quickly with regulars in the peak periods but if you are flexible with your travel dates you have a far better choice.

Sue wink
ski holidays
Thanks guys for the information but we re fixed on our dates as my other daughter will be in Kitzbuhel on a school ski trip and will join us the following week for half term.

I did try the Edelweiss 3offthetee but they are quoting nearly Euro 4000 for the week - I can't afford anywhere near that so will keep looking. I may have to try the much smaller resorts but with my daughter having her heart set on lerning snowboarding this year instead of skiing with us, I think I might be limited for ski schools too
snow report
carolwags, every resort in Austria will have snowboarding tuition, either as part of the ski school, or as a specialist boarding company. See http://www.wagrain.info/en-ski-schools-salzburg.htm for details of the two in Wagrain, and http://www.wagrain.info/en-ski-school-prices-salzburg.htm for pricing.

Also, don't worry about the walk to the lifts - ski buses run through the town, picking up every 150-200m or so, and dropping you at the entrance to the lift station. These are free for skiers. Also, most ski and board schools will provide overnight storage for equipment either at the lift, or on the mountain, so the kids can walk around in comfortable footwear.

There's also an accommodation service on the Wagrain website, so you should be able to get something to match your requirements and budget. However, if you really must be beside the lift, Wagrain isn't necessarily the best choice - Flachau (if you are careful to choose somewhere near the lifts) and Zauchensee are much better for short walks, but of course Flachau also has free buses.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy