Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Abondance reopens this winter?

Poster: A snowHead
A French subsidiary of a US company plans to reopen this resort this season. Abondance is part of the Portes-du-Soleil skiarea, but not directly linked. The resort was closed in 2007.

http://www.24heures.ch/vaud/actu/abondance-va-retrouver-gout-ski-2009-08-27
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With 8 lifts and 12 pistes I'm surprised it closed, do you know why it was not operating?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Financial reasons. It is owned by the town of Abondance and they decided to close it after the disastrous season.
It is still owned by the locals, the Americans will operate the resort.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boredsurfing, with 8 lift and 15 pistes...

It's low, had a few crap winters and has only 8 lifts and 15 pistes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a friend with an apartment in Abondance. He said the last winter before it closed he and his wife often seemed to be the only people on the hill, with lovely conditions, and all those lifts to themselves. I think it was lack of customers, as much as anything else, which led to its closing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, I am sure it was delightful. Sadly grim commercial realities conspire to destroy such idylls.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name, indeed, and that's why it seems surprising that it is re-opening.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It was probably also really challenging to operate a small, detached (by a couple of miles) ski resort next to a mega resort linking two countries when you only have 8 lifts yourself. It was ok for a day visit or maybe a week for familys but you probably would not have gone twice. I think the yanks will probably do a good job of promoting the resort, I wish them luck
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, indeed, me to.

Frosty, I never bothered to go there when it was open so have no idea of the terrain, but I can easily see the possibilities for an somewhat exclusive destination.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having never been, is it a possibility that the Americans could be buying this resort to link it to the main Portes du Soleil area?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
arv, it would be a long way - no idea how practicable it would be in terms of terrain, but would certainly cost a fortune. Abondance is a very pretty village - but I suppose it was rarely worth anyone driving over there from the main PdS. Our friends with an apartment there are currently cycling from Emsworth to Abondance to celebrate his 70th birthday. Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They'd probably be better off sticking to cheese.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I hadn't realised it had closed down. We used to drive through Abondance to get to Avoriaz and it is indeed very pretty. I think small resorts have much to offer, and my heart sinks when complete beginners with families get recommended large resorts. We learnt to ski in an even smaller resort in Austria and had an absolutely fab time. You really do get to know the locals as the Local Farmer is also a ski Instructor etc. Laughing

I really do hope the resort is successful. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IncogSkiSno, why would you drive through Abondance to get to Avoriaz?? Are you sure?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name, hmm I am wrong . . . it must have been enroute to Chatel. Embarassed
snow conditions
under a new name, IncogSkiSno, Laughing I did wonder!

Might go for a day next trip.
ski holidays
We saw our friends with a place in Abondance last evening. They cycled there recently, from Hampshire, to celebrate his 70th birthday and a successful recovery after an operation to replace a failed heart valve. Shocked Apparently a new maire has made a big difference, and the place is generally looking spruced up. A lot of local volunteers have been helping with some of the work. They said they'd heard locally that the company running the area wants to use it to demonstrate their new American snow-making equipment - they also said they thought it was the only ski area of its kind to have been re-opened after being closed.

I hope the area remains open - it's good to think there's still room for small, local, areas. Other guests last night have a place in Bernex - an even smaller, more local, ski area.
snow conditions
im in chatel in jan so will hopefully give this a go.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy