Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pragraten, Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone help by giving some information on the resort of Pragraten, Austria please?

All information will be gratefully received. Thank you in advance. Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try this http://www.bergfex.com/praegraten-grossvenediger/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks pretty good:

http://www.adac-skiguide.de/Skigebiete/Oesterreich/Tirol/Matrei-Osttirol-und-Kals-am-Grossglockner/Praegraten/Panorama~-1cerm45eebivt
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only 2 drag lifts and very little vertical Elevation: 1320 - 1500 m
in Pragraten itself.

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that its a good area for ski touring...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi,

Praegraten is a nice traditional village and definitely off the beaten path in Austria. So really different from all the well known resorts in (Norht) Tyrol. In general "Eastern Tyrol" (as the district is called) is a quieter region.

However, Praegraten itself has only (very) limited skiing. Ski touring is plenty, but that is a totally different world (it is high alpine environment there with huge crevasse-ridden glaciers in the Venediger mountain range).

The best "real" ski resort of Eastern Tyrol is Matrei-Kals "Grossglockner resort". It was significantly upgraded last year since there is now a direct lift and piste connection between the former distinct ski resorts Matrei-Goldried and Kals/Grossglockner. The landscape is amazing (the Grossglockner, the highest mountain of Austria is just to the opposite of the ski runs). The vertical is between 1000-2500. The pistes are quite versatile but of course the size of the resort is not up to par with the large resorts (like Arlberg, Ischgl, Sölden, Kitzbühel, Wilder Kaiser, Amade etc.). It boils down to your preferences. Nevertheless, I would say it is a real gem (personally, I do not like the large resorts since I am tired of the mass tourism there).

One drawback: in years, when most snow comes from north/north-west storms this regions does have problems with snow (they receive most their snow from the Adriatic). They have man made snow facilities to guarantee good and open pistes. However, you may consider this problem for your decision making.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all for your help. Do like the sound of the Grossglockner resort sounds just what we are after.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Avago wrote:
Thanks all for your help. Do like the sound of the Grossglockner resort sounds just what we are after.

Nice to read. I would suggest trying to book a hotel/pension in Kals (if you want to have somewhat ski in/ski out). This is a real pearl in Austria (at least if you are not into Ischgl-like Apres Ski). In my point of view one of the most beautiful and authentic villages in the Austrian alps. But don't expect a vibrant night life there. It is just a gem totally off the beaten path. And of course, the Grossglockner is pretty amazing (if you travel into the valley you will see a huge pyramid-like mountain towering above the valley).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How would this area work for mixed ability groups? I've been considering these resorts for next years trip as the scenery looks lovely, but I'm worried about the nervous skiers in our party. Any advice? The blues in Kals/Matrei look like linking tracks. Is this so? Cheers, Liam
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Draybs74.

It is always difficult to assess what will be easy going even for beginners. It is indeed so that in Kals there are some blues which are (at least in parts) merely linking tracks. However, I guess that even the red ones should be doable for "advanced" beginners. There is a dedicated beginner area in the valley right beside the Kals village. So even nervous skiers could try to test their abilities before going up to the real mountain. The area above the tree line is characterised by alpine meadows. So the pistes should not be too intimitating to skiers of limited abilities. As far as I know the ski school is quite cheap there, so one or two days with a special ski instructor just for the beginners would do wonders for the self-assurance.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy