Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stuben, Obertauern or Zauchensee: looking for great off-piste and skischools

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, can anyone spare a moment to tell me which they think would be the best resort for a group ranging in age 4 to 44. I am the worst skier in the group, happiest on reds but looking for lots of intersecting blacks so as to make it more interesting for others to ski with me. The others are powder loving off-piste loonies so a bit of that too would be great. We also need a great ski school and lots of nanny options ... ?
Hoping to hear, Cathy D
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't go to Obertauern. Lots of shortish reds, but not much that is more difficult than that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tx so much. Cx
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi CathyD,
I know its not on your list, but if you're open to looking at alternatives then Hochzillertal (specifically Hochfuegen) might be worth looking at.
There's lots of easily accessible off piste with pistes nearby for you.
My parents happily ski there 'together' - Dad's aim is to spend maximum 5% of his skiing time on piste, whilst Mum refuses to ski off piste. Dad goes in the deep snow, Mum stays on the piste, they meet up where their paths cross, ride the lifts together and much fun is had by all!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hiya CathyD, welcome to snowHead !!

I can't comment for Stuben but I can certainly give you the heads up on Zauchensee and the rest of ski amade...

Zauchensee certainly has something for everyone... long blues, reds and a few blacks scattered about...
There are loads of little rat-runs/cat-tracks and areas to the side of the piste that are great for playing about on for the more experienced.

There is also a lot of great off piste areas.... last year it was chest high an very messy Laughing Laughing
Zauchensee also links into Flachauwinkl (via a comedy tractor train type thang). At Flachauwinkl there are monstrously long blue runs from top to bottom, again with reds and plenty of off piste. There is even an 'official' off piste area which is all part of the area. Flachauwinkl also has 2 fun parks... There is also a new gondola and chair lift to take you back to Zauchensee.

Zauchensee is also part of Ski Amade so you can explore loads of areas around Zauchensee.

In Zauchensee the main ski school is owned and run by the world champ's (Michi Walchofer) father and is very good.

Child-care is always limited in Astria unless you pay way over odds for an inclusive hotel. Loads of sledge runs and sleigh rides and winter walks for the non-skiers!..
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks so much flangesax and SaraJ. I have been on the ski amade website just now!! I'll have a look at Hochfuegen as well. Really helpful. I am surprised though that you say Austria is poor for childcare. Having stayed in Zurs for the last two years we had a great expereicen with a plentiful supply of mainly aussie and kiwi nannies who were all lovely. Is that perhaps one reason why the resort is stonkingly expenseive? Cathy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CathyD, Stuben is in the middle of one of Austrias most popular areas for off piste skiing.Hence the powder will get skied out a lot quicker than the other options if you arrive in a snowy period. Good skiing but being north facing it may be cold for the young uns if going early season.

Obertauern had decent ski schoolsfor kids when we went and some decent accessible off piste to potter about in, I think most skiers could find sufficiently challenging skiing with a bit of imagination. It is on a pass and attracts good snow but a bit of wind as well at times.

Zauchensee has a similair amount of skiing to Obertauern but with more vertical. Some of the off iste is through trees and officially banned, though tracks were in evidence. The runs and lifts were quieter than Obertauerns on our visit which is always nice. It is relatively steep sided and gets dark at the bottom in winter.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tx so much T Bar!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CathyD, I'll second Hochzillertal/Hochfuegen - some really great pistes and off-piste potential there, and potential for exploration. Not stayed there, but I really enjoyed the skiing variety and terrain. A place I'd love to return to.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CathyD, drop us a pm or an email if you fancy a bit more info about amadé and the surrondings!
Quote:

Some of the off iste is through trees and officially banned,

Not too sure about this... it is hard to officiate off-pisting at the best of times!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CathyD, Stoooobennnn http://www.ineedsnow.com/ski-holidays-austria/stuben/stuben.html

Ski St Anton and Oberlech a lot, stayed in Stuben this year with family due to finances. I'm not quite at off piste level but Stuben really does look amazing and as you can see from the above link, well liked by those in the know. Great ski school as they have tiny class sizes. Our youngest (5) loved the ski school this year, and better than Oberlech the previous year. Oh, and probably one of the best snow records in the Alps
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tks so much boabski. It's so great to get so much help. Thanks all. Cx
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flangesax,
Quote:

Not too sure about this... it is hard to officiate off-pisting at the best of times!

Probably true but there were signs up forbidding it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar, In Zauchansee there are signs only where you shouldn't go, mainly under lift lines with drops in the way. Away from those limited areas there's stacks of great off piste. The resorts around ski amade don't push the off piste, more a family orientated approach. There's also some serious skiing touring opportunities all round the place, particularly up on the Dachstein glacier.

St anton has the most extensive off piste of the areas mentioned, but guides would def be a good idea, try pistetopowder.com . The ski amade area offers some excellent, mainly tree lined, off piste. Not the extensive big vertical bowls of St Anton but easier to access and a lot less tracked out.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tx so much. I'm really overwhelmed by everyone's generosity and helpfulness. Cxx
latest report
waynos,
Aree you really sure there is off piste at Zauchensee?... I mean have you really any proof of this?... All i saw was a head floating above the snow - so I was never sure it was you! (apart from when i could see the green trousers... then I was sure!)
latest report
Zauchensee: http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30390&hilit=zauchensee
ski holidays
Stuben is no place for 4 years olds or family. All the non-piste stuff is committed, often well out of bounds and more tour-like. The exits of many off-piste bits are steep vegetated valley sides and as i remember there were only about 4 pistes in the place anyway. But from the three lifts there is so much untracked territory - and it stays that way for moons. With a map, a book and a splitboard it is; without doubt the best little place i've ever been about. It takes Chamonix, pulls it pants down and spanks it on the bare back bottom.
ski holidays
Stuben is no place for 4 years olds or family. All the non-piste stuff is committed, often well out of bounds and more tour-like. The exits of many off-piste bits are steep vegetated valley sides and as i remember there were only about 4 pistes in the place anyway. But from the three lifts there is so much untracked territory - and it stays that way for moons. With a map, a book and a splitboard it is; without doubt the best little place i've ever been about. It takes Chamonix, pulls it pants down and spanks it on the bare back bottom.
ski holidays
Quote:

Stuben is no place for 4 years olds or family

Sorry but that is boll***s. OK it's not Serfaus but the ski school is the best I've experienced (Belle Plagne, Claviere and Oberlech being the others to compare with). The main reason for this being the numbers were so small - typically we were picking up our youngest up and there was only 3 other kids on group - the max was 6 at any point. Even when they ventured on to the (easy and dead quiet) pistes around Stuben, there was an instructor at the front and one at back. The beginners area is completely seperate from slopes and at a good gradient for a 4 year old to learn on.The hotel we stayed at in Stuben was half full of families, the other half being couples and groups of off piste junkies.
I'm guessing that CathyD, is going in a group, most of which seem to be pretty advanced skiers, so where better to base yourself - not many resorts can match the Arlberg IMO for what she's looking for.
Stuben is dead at night but a 4 year old will be happy with a wee swim, dinner then bed????
I did have some reservations about taking the family to Stuben this year as I was fully aware of it's shortcomings, but in the end was really glad I went there and would do again with family no problems. In fact if I wasn't heading to St Anton in March with boys, Stuben would have been booked again for 2010 instead of Kappl.
Quote:

without doubt the best little place i've ever been about. It takes Chamonix, pulls it pants down and spanks it on the bare back bottom.

Laughing Laughing
snow report
From the list Stuben but Serfaus is probably a better match for the group.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy