Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skishops in New York

Poster: A snowHead
Currently on holiday in a very warm New York,
still as SA does not really have choices, want to look into some skishops-
any recommendations for good ones?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lizski, lucky you!. I expect abc will be along later
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lizski, backcountry.com currently has a big sale on and will probably deliver to your hotel if you are around for a few more days

i remember finding a reasonable selection ski stuff in a general sport shop somewhere in mid-town (narrows it down a bit Wink ) but i don't recall manhattan being over-endowed with dedicated ski shops. i was looking in January BTW so the selection then was probably as good as would ever be
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wandered into a ski department of a general sports department store (Paragon maybe?) and rapidly reached the conclusion that Manhattan was a worse choice than London for buying ski kit. Zero knowledge, massive arrogance and high prices (and the first two weren't just me).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i think Paragon was the place i was thinking of
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Princeton and Scandinavian are shut.

If you don't have a car, don't bother.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone,
found a Burton shop on Spring street today, not too bad, nice kids stuff.
Eastern mountainsports on Broadway and Housten looks like good one too, but no skigear in yet. Must agree that from what I could find Manhatten definately not the best place for ski-shopping,
will have to do some other shopping!Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
altrec and backcountry (as mentioned above) will ship to your hotel. just ordered some gear from altrec for delivery to a hotel in new jersey next week when i'm over with work

if you like good burgers and beer for little money then head to the Corner Bistro, way downtown at 4th and Jane - real local place, looks like a dive but great burgers and beer and really cheap. then head up around the corner to the White Horse Tavern for more beer

ah New York, great place, bit hot this time of year though Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
barry, thank you, we had a rainy day today which helped a lot for the heat. Drinking lots of fluids help too...
The websites look good, but I am very reluctant to buy skiclothes that I cannot try on ,
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lizski, are you just trying to buy cold weather clothes?

https://www.tenttrails.com/general_products.asp
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No, really looking for ski pants etc, maybe too early in season.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went to paragon just to get some oakley goggles - cheaper in NY than back home.
The shop was pretty average though
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I expect abc will be along later

Sorry, missed this thread earlier. Out running errands in a rainy day.

For ski clothing, Eastern Mountain Sport and Paragon are the two shop that should have some. But this being summer, they're probably tuck in some back corners behind the swimwears! Smile

There're no good ski hardware store in Manhattan any more. Not that Princeton was all that good to begin with, it was at least a dedicated ski shop. But now there're only the above mentioned two shops left. Neither of them do much ski hardware business beyond entry level since they're not really "ski shop".

Outside of Manhattan, there're several within short distance of Manhattan. But to be honest, I either buy ski clothing when I'm in resort, or gears online. So I can't say which shop is of any good... These guys (http://www.emiliosskishop.com/shop.html) are running a summer sales. I heard they're a proper ski shop though I've never been there. Call them (718-544-04040) and ask for directions. They should be reachable by subway.

Hope you enjoy your stay otherwise. Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.skibarn.com/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All the way out in NJ^, hence my earlier point about not having a car.
snow conditions
Thanks everyone: today was last day in NYC, on to Washington...
some feedback: Paragon worth a visit, rest maybe better in winter.
Still Europe probably a better idea.
Find it very strange that such a big city should be so thin on skishops.
Loved every minute in New york though.
snow conditions
lizski wrote:
Thanks everyone: today was last day in NYC, on to Washington...

You mean Washington DC? Several good shops with clothes in.
latest report
Only in DC for two days, but will try my best. What would you recommend there?
My husband will probably kill me and you if I do more shopping! I might have to start a thread on overweight luggage charges from America.. Smile
snow report
Hate to say this. But New York City, Manhattan to be exact, has been over-run by tourists!

10-15 years ago, there were several ski shops. Obviously, they serve the locals. But gradually, the rent got so high they couldn't continue. That's been the case not just for ski shops. I've seen many smaller stores in the neighbourhood serving New York local got pushed into the lower rent corners of the city. Many gone out to Brooklyn and Queens (or New Jersey). They're replaced by Disney stores, Hard Rock Cafe and the like. Tourists LOVE them. They also come to New York to buy NY theme toys, hats and T-shirts. And that's what grew in largest number here.

The worst part is the tourists who stay behind. Well, the natives probably consider I'm one of such. Wink So there're now SEVERAL Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond in Manhattan alone! My only problem is, if I want to do home renovation, I should probably buy a house in the midwest at 1/10 the price of Manhattan!

As a result, there's no place for ski shops. New Yorkers who ski buy their gears/clothing either online. Or we drive out to shops in New Jersey!

Manhattan is still a fun place for the most part. But it has lost a lot of what kept me here 15 years earlier... Sad Just today, I drove around some small towns on the Hudson Valley looking at houses... Shocked Embarassed
snow report
lizski wrote:
Only in DC for two days, but will try my best. What would you recommend there?

First, The Ski Center on Massachusetts Ave. and 49th street, opposite American University Law school. Take the red line train to AU then walk down the hill. There is an art museum there 'Katzen Art Center', but pay no mind, go boot shopping. If you need ski boots at all, TSC is the place. Afterwards, go across the road and have a burger.

The other half-decent ski shop is in Arlington: Ski Chalet. Metro to Pentagon and either walk up the hill past the Navy Annex or take one of the #16 buses from the Pentagon along Columbia Pike.

There are others, but not readily accessible without a car.

Quote:

My husband will probably kill me and you if I do more shopping! I might have to start a thread on overweight luggage charges from America.. Smile

He he. Shuttin' up now.

What are you planning to see?
snow conditions
Walked mall yesterday and saw most of sites and natural history museum, Georgetown today(last day)
Washington parks beautifull, will see if I get to ski centre, might go past pentagon. Wish we had more time here.
Then for the long flight home...
Next time will try to visit in winter if I need to skishop.
ski holidays
lizski wrote:
Walked mall yesterday and saw most of sites and natural history museum, Georgetown today(last day)
Washington parks beautifull, will see if I get to ski centre, might go past pentagon. Wish we had more time here.
Then for the long flight home...
Next time will try to visit in winter if I need to skishop.

Plenty of fun stuff left:

Did ya see Dali's Last Supper? Laughing
Did ya see Game Fish and Ghost Clock?
Did ya see the basketball-sized moon rock in the stained glass at the cathedral?
snow conditions
added a new favourite eatery to the list on wednesday night:

http://churrascariaplataforma.com/

top notch, but not the best place in town for veggies!
latest report
abc, What amazes me about Manhatten is the appalling state of the roads. You'd think with all the revenue/taxes that they could afford to lay a bit of tarmac.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy