Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What skis next then?

Poster: A snowHead
I have been using a few different skis over the last few months and still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for - any recommendations?

Ok, basically I owned (and loved Very Happy ) some Atomic Supercross. Great on piste, could hold any edge, they were great for large arc turns as well as short, sharp turns and I could really trust them and they made me look better than I am NehNeh . Then I developed in to more of an off piste skier and found they were no good in the thick stuff as they were too short, too heavy and non responsive generally and also they also didn't handle crud or ice particularly well either (or rocks Shocked !).

I then had some twin tip Salomon Suspects (I was dreaming of getting twin tips for some reason) and other than the thick stuff they're awful. They don't have much edge and I find them loose on ice and hardpack and just don't trust them. They're a long ski (i'm 5ft8 and 10.5 stone) and the ski is a 172. I think it's the length that makes them good in the thick stuff other than any great performance of the ski and I just generally don't like them. I know they're essesntially a park and pipe ski (which I don't do) and probably not meant for what I have been using them for.

So I am looking for something that has great edge grip but also good off piste. I would like twin tip (maybe Lords?) but if there aren't twin tips out there with great edge and essentially all mountain then I would happily drop the idea and choose something else. Any suggestions what to try next? I think Atomic Nomad Blackeye might be a good option? Thoughts? What is considered the best go anywhere ski? Can you get twin tips that are as good as other all mountain skis?

Cheers NB
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NomadicBoo wrote:
So I am looking for something that has great edge grip but also good off piste.

Dynstar Legend Pro
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno, Cheers. reading up on them now. Do you have them yourself?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, the Pro's only come in 186 and 194 which I am confidnent will be too big for me. The Legend 8800 are in 158, 168 and 178 - what do you think of those?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NomadicBoo, you must be looking at old info - the now come in 176, 184 and 190
i have an old pair of teh 186s which I loved but which i am probably retiring this season. they are built for going fast. if you were using one of the top-end Atomic SX skis (ie SX11 or SX:B5) and could use them properly, you'd probably have fun on the LPs
the new generation is apparently a bit softer and more forgiving (boo!) except in the 190 (yay!)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
movement do twins and are stiff for edge grip and good in the deep too. Quite stiff so be warned but if you're thinking Legend Pro then stiffness should not be to much of a problem. I use movement gladiators as my all-mountain go-anywhere ski, fair enough you maybe wont carve through gates on em but for their size you can get them up on edge nicely (given a bit of speed / power / weight - I use weight rolling eyes Laughing ). The glads do a 183 and 193 - I've got 183, though if buying now would maybe go longer (193 came out last year I think). They have proper big twintips so "ski shorter" than stated length. Movement Thunder also brilliant (not really a twintip, slightly raised rear end though) - possibly the closest to the LP apart from a narrower waist. (I dont need /use the twintip (not intentionally anyway!), just so happened that I loved those skis.)

good luck
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NomadicBoo, Arno makes a good point, " if you...could use them properly"

Most modern skis are good. Most modern skis hold edges on ice. If you find the skis aren't, well I'm afraid I'd suggest that's probably a function of user error rather than kit problems. Likewise off piste.

Anyway, what use is asking us? You need to go out and try lots of different things.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno, Cheers!

barry, thanks I will check them out now. Unfortunately speed is my only attribute. No power or weight to speak of I am afraid. Maybe I should start riding girls skis? Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:

Most modern skis hold edges on ice.

not if you ate all the pies they dont Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name, I agree if I had that problem on most skis but it's only on one pair which would say not a user error. Also, I had someone else try them out (who is a lot better than me) and they had exactly the same problem (I must add that the skis were also a few seasons old and likely demolished on the park when I got hold of them).

I agree I need to try as many pairs as I can but here is a good place to narrow the list down. I have neither the time or(unfortunately) the money to try on infinitive numbers of skis! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't see why the Lords are being ruled out, they are a great all rounder!! also up the top of the list for all rounders might be the Stockli Rotors or Scott Crusades, I have owned/own both and they have good solid cores for the grip and nice wide tips for the lift.

If you want more on piste performance I would definitely shy away from the twin tips as they tend to mess up the carve of the ski and people mount the bindings too far forward for speed. Also they generally have pretty damn slow bases, I'm like you, i like going forward fast and twin tips make me angry.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NomadicBoo, Icelantic Pilgrims. snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Volkl Aura. Maybe Kiku.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Either of these should meet your needs..

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Dynastar-Exclusive-Legend-Powder

Change of paint job for this year.

http://global.skipass.com/gearguide/ski/2010/movement/black-rose-3.html

I've skied both, and would happily own either. Test 1st.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NomadicBoo, are you a laydee? if so, sorry - hadn't been paying attention Legend Pro isn't the answer probably (unless you RIP)
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
NomadicBoo, are you a laydee? if so, sorry - hadn't been paying attention Legend Pro isn't the answer probably (unless you RIP)

Well he did say that maybe he should start riding girls skis Toofy Grin
snow conditions
NomadicBoo, throwing something else up for consideration; K2 Apache Recon or Xplorer, depending on how much time you spend off-piste, or Elan Magfire 82 (I think that's what they're called now) as a good all-rounder.

I can also offer praise for the Legends, but these are worth a try as well.
latest report
Andyph,

100% agree with you, these are all great all-round skis as well, but am I the only person who thinks they are just NOT COOL!! no one ever glanced down at a pair of apaches and said "Yo dude, sick sticks, massive props to ya" and I think we all dream of that don't we... case rested
snow conditions
dulcamara, I think there's a thread for that discussion. wink

Seriously, the last thing I worry about is what skis look like, or what other people think of them. The first time I rode Atomic SX's I think the graphic was a cast-off from the portfolio of an 80s design student. An Austrian one, at that. But god, could they rip!

And I doubt anyone would say "massive props to ya" to me, as I am not 15.
snow conditions
dulcamara wrote:

100% agree with you, these are all great all-round skis as well, but am I the only person who thinks they are just NOT COOL!! no one ever glanced down at a pair of apaches and said "Yo dude, sick sticks, massive props to ya" and I think we all dream of that don't we... case rested

In that case, you need to get twintips brother Cool Cool
ski holidays
i've been told I look like a massive prop on my gladiators, but dont think it were meant in the same way Laughing
ski holidays
Hehe freestylers aren't skiiers!!!! just a bunch of baggy panted gymnasts on skis......PULL YOUR TROUSERS UP AND LEARN TO TURN!!!!
snow conditions
Too many recommendations, accusations I'm a bearded lady, insults to freestylers....I'm worse off than when I started Toofy Grin
snow conditions
NomadicBoo, fairy nuff
snow report
NomadicBoo, Try the Scott Punisher, and stick with 172 for that ski, seriously Toofy Grin
snow report
NomadicBoo, so you're looking for skis that feel mostly like they've been abused but will still hold an edge? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Suspect people are listing the skis that suit them rather than what would suit a 5'8", 10.5 stone skier. For example the Dynstar Legend Pro likes longer turns and could be a handful for a lighter skier (although I appreaciate Arno qualified his suggestion).

Atomic Nomad Crimson (wider than the black eye so better float offpiste)
Head Mojo 94
Head im82 (more of an all rounder)

How often do you ski, how often do you get to ski powder? If most of your skiing is on piste one solution might be just to rent wide skis when it dumps. This also gives you an opportunity to try different skis. Once your offpiste skill has improved you may not need such wide skis for offpiste. As others have said improving your skills will make more of a difference than changing your skis, I know a few skiers who ski powder with race skis. Improving your balance will help a lot too, your money might be better spent on lessons and a balance board.
latest report
DB, switch that nomad crimson for a nomad savage ti and you have a winner Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, you've lost me?

DB, Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards Atomics at the moment (I've had success with them in the past) so I am going to try an test Blackeye's and Crimson's. I ski often, solidly for the last 3 months (3-4 times a week) and I am moving to Austria in a few weeks so would expect at least one weekend a month in season plus a few full weeks. As regard to powder and off-piste in the Suspects I am using now that's where I am most comfortable! It was my old Atomics that I had difficulty with off-piste.
snow report
Have a look at Line Prophet 100s.
ski holidays
NomadicBoo, you're moving to Austria but won't have time to try a few pairs? Puzzled
snow report
NomadicBoo, I weigh the same as you do, but I'm shorter. I still think you'd enjoy a pair of Punishers Cool
ski holidays
Mojo's are good skis, if you ride hard the Black Crow Navis are worth a demo but might be too stiff for your weight. Nordica Enforcers (my own choice) seem a fantastic all round ski for lighter riders but last years weren't twin tip. Another good one is the Liberty Hazmat.
snow report
Cheers all for the inputs. I have a pretty big list so I am going to try a few out. I'll let you know what I end up with!
ski holidays
NomadicBoo, the best all round ski ever is the Nordica Dobermann SL-R.
snow conditions
Hello Off Piste-ers,
Going to Schladming and am determined to get to grips with off-piste skiing.I ski on Atomic SX 9s at the moment and love em but would they be suitable for a few forays into the deep stuff or would I be better of hiring a pair for the week and switching for the pow pow adventures.
Ta,
briand6868
latest report
briand6868, I owned SX 9's and found them not great in the off piste when it was new thick snow. It could also depend on length too as I was skiing 160's. If they were a 170 plus I imagine they would have been a lot better.
snow report
briand6868,
what is your height/weight.

I have SX9's... and I don't use them for off piste days.. although they are still fun when mucking about.... Anyhow... i am a bit of a 100kg lardy but my mate had no problem on them....
snow report
under a new name wrote:
NomadicBoo, the best all round ski ever is the Nordica Dobermann SL-R.

I just read the following review; http://www.ski-review.com/content/view/206/30/

I don't think I have ever actually been scared of a ski before! Laughing
latest report
under a new name, this looks good though! http://www.ski-review.com/content/view/676/30/ and http://www.nordica.com/site/ski.php?site=11&lang=3&id=3

What size do you think, the 162's??
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy