Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Piste police to breathalyse skiers": report

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Today's Scotsman newspaper reports that "newly installed ski marshals in Italy and Austria will be breathalysing and fining skiers found to be drunk on the slopes." They add that "... research from Churchill Travel Insurance showed that 23% of skiers say it will not stop them drinking."

Here's the report.
-----------------------------
This is the first I've heard of these 'ski marshals' - has anyone seen them? If so, what do they look like?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saw them in La Thuile this year for the first time. One guy was stopping skiers who were going way too fast for the conditions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, pity they couldnt fine those who cannot ski and are totally out of control without the effects of alcohol. The amount of accidents I have seen due to those who think they can ski is unbelievable. I agree with my other halfs comments on a different thread that skiers should hold some kind of certificate to be allowed on the piste a little like a driving licence I suppose. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, sounds good to me. Just yesterday at Arc 1800 I watched a boarder and a young skier collide, the boarder coming off worse, falling heavily. The skier was a young girl, probably no more than 8 or 9 years old, yet the (British) boarder got up and stood over her screaming all kinds of obscenities. It was six of one and half a dozen of the other, they were at the same level on the piste and simply steered straight into each other. I went over to pick up the girl, who was in tears, told the guy to calm down, and he promptly decided to have a go at me instead. He really stank of booze - it was just gone midday.

Since the 'masses' started arriving yesterday I have seen quite a few close calls and a couple of minor collisions. It's icy, especially in the morning and late afternoon, and loads of people are travelling far too fast for the conditions/their ability.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 6-02-05 21:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, if you kept you cool, you're a better man than me.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowbird wrote:
David Goldsmith, pity they couldnt fine those who cannot ski and are totally out of control without the effects of alcohol. The amount of accidents I have seen due to those who think they can ski is unbelievable.

I admit that I'm a pretty poor skier, but one thing I rarely do is overestimate my own ability. I've just come back from the local dry ski slope and saw an example of someone prepared to risk themselves and others through over confidence or a lack of sense. This big guy (rugby player/weight lifter) comes out on a pair of 100cm blades, sporting a pair of poles. Little Angel
He then shouts to his 9/10 year old son that he should have got a pair of poles as "They help you push off" the little run in to the button lift - even though the sign above the pole storage states that they are for experienced skiiers only. rolling eyes
His mate then asks him how to turn the backs of the skis (parallel turns) - "Easy. just do this..." as he shakes his backside from side to side Puzzled As they queue for the lift, the son started to get nervous.... " Don't worry, we'll go to the top and all you need to do is snowplough down slowly.." the father reassured. " I can't snowplough.." Shocked
Anyway, the boy fell off the button lift after 2 metres, and thankfully they took him over to nursery slope... at which point I was leaving. This little scenario must happen hundreds of times a day at various resorts - possibly many of the culprits are us Brits, who haven't grown up respecting the sport.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
laundryman wrote:
PG, if you kept your cool, you're a better man than me.

I did - for once. I just wanted the guy to disappear so I could try to sort out a highly traumatised little kid and get her down the slope to her parents, waiting at the bottom.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rumour was the police would breathalyse you at Verbier if you were involved in an incident.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Information was a little sketchy in the original article. I've now seen the full press release, and apparently 1,978 skiers and boarders were stopped and questioned by "72 Point" over a two week period, between Jan 10th and 24th. However it doesn't say where the sample was taken.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sample Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very Happy taking the p.. again, Masque? wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds like an excellent idea - Hannah (our middle daughter - no mean skier, working out in Courchevel on a gap year), was wiped out by some oaf (a Brit I'm afraid). He came screaming out from a side track onto the main piste and sent her flying, according to her friends she fell a good 30m. By the time her friends had got her down into 1850 and to a doctors she had been sick 11 times - a result of shock and the whiplash effect of the impact - the moron who did it cleared off. She is fine now thank goodness, a course of pain killers etc and a week off the slopes have just about mended the damage, but it could have been really serious. I am just sick of hearing about / seeing the results of some peoples pig ignorant attitude that their pursuit of pleasure comes with no responsibility for the consequences of their actions and that other people are of no importance to their self-gratification.....sorry rant over Confused
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is not new .

In Austria it is not permitted to ski while intoxicated but they never inforce/take action unless theres an accident (which they do ).

Can you imagine these Police lining up outside the Mosserwirt or Krazy Kangaroo at chuck out time ? Smile

Totally un-workable in Austria because they rely so heavily on the Germans tourists.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy