Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I need winter tyres and a telepeage?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Megamum - so far so good - no dropped tickets, and my windows are electric, but I have yet to try and get money into the machine with them!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flicking through this thread as I'm considering driving out to the Alps for the Winter (working in St Anton for the season) and am a little confused, are M+S rated tyres the same as snow tyres, or are they different? If they are different, which would be the best to use, I'd be heading out end of Nov and returning once the snow's gone (end of April/start of May)?

And don't get me started on dropping tickets, dropped one the other day (was a little token) at the front of a queue to get out the car park and ended up having to get down on my hands and knees to fish it out from under the car Embarassed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sitter,

M&S rated tyres are tyres with block patterns able to "dig" into mud and snow to increase traction. It is just a tread pattern.

If one wants to go fast one uses slick tyres without any tread as those used in F1 racing. For fast driving and good stability the tyre needs to have continuous circumferential rings. Blocks are created by cutting up a continuous ring. They generate a bigger road noise and decrease the braking efficiency of the tyre as blocks can deform and some parts of the circumferential ring has no rubber but air!

M&S tyres is a half way house for winter condition. It is certainly better than the fast motorway tyre designed for high speed but not a matchfor the true winter tyre.

Winter tyres also have M&S blocks in their treads but the material has been deliberately softened significantly to increase braking efficient on ice and snow surfaces. Winter tyre generally have loads of zig zag micro grooves call sips for griping the snow to increase traction. Due to the soft compound winter can wear out quickly in summer and hence many European motorists keep two sets of tyres for the two seasons.

A UK motorist can carefully select a set of all season tyre and in new condition that may be adequate for European winter road, as long as a set of snow chains on available on standby.

If you are going to be there for the whole season a set of winter tyres would be a lot safer. UK do sell winter tyres which can be 10 to 40% dearer. If you have a 4WD vehicle a set of newish all season tyres should be OK. At the end of the day it is a matter of the convenience of able to go whenever you want. It is not nice and may be even unsafe if you discover the tyres are not up to the job in a winter journey.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks.

Swinging towards the flight now I think anyway as it'd be cheaper and although the freedom would be nice, I really don't think I'll use the car that much.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy