Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Utah - March-April - where to stay?

Poster: A snowHead
Ok - after some years of going back to JH year in year out, SWMBO says it is time to move on and tick somewhere else off the list (although I may still make it to JH in January with the SCGB)

We now have to fit in a bit with School holidays so are looking at last week march, first april and need to start thinking about flights/car/accommodation etc.

First choice is which resort.

We need to be in one of the resorts, not SLC, (Kids, ambience,convenience) hopefully with some charm but ideally somewhere where we could drive/bus to another hill for the odd day. It needs to be a hill with a good kids ski school

We were thinking Park City- but we know there are a lot of experts out there. All help appreciated.

Second choice is flights - looks like no direct flights to SLC? Who would you recommend
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I flew NWA out through Minneapolis (sadly no Dr Dre or Ice Cube), longish layover but easy enough to get out to the mall of America for a couple of hours, kids might enjoy theme park built in. United through Chicago or Delta through whatever their East Coast Hub is might be other options.

I think Park City is the only real "resort" with maybe the Canyons. For you though I'd push for a condo or something at the bottom of Alta/Bird then maybe do the Park City areas as a day trip or so, no point in going to Utah if you're not going to ski the top terrain. I'd avoid BCC as a destination option.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowbird lodge. You'll be on the lifts while everyone is waiting for the roads to clear.

Your choice of Alta OR Snowbird ski schools. Driving distance to Snowbasin, Brighton and Solitude.

Driving into Park City or the Canyons as a day trip is NOT worth it. They are at a lower altitude, if there is enough fresh for the Canyons to be fun then I-70 will be a clogged nightmare.

Drive to Snowbasin and Pow Mow on the interstorm days.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
More nightlife in Park City than at either Snowbird or Alta although they can be quite fun to stay at just not so sure about that for a whole week with kids.

I try and avoid flying through Chicago, especially in winter.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pinhead, me too - I don't mind O'Hare on the way back - but have lost luggage twice on the way out through there. DFW is what we usually use.

fatbob, comprex, interesting - I'll look at that.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
With small(ish) kids I'd say a condo in Park City for sure.
If you are a regular at JH you'll know what to expect...but get one with a heated outdoor pool. They keep them really warm and all kids (small and big) can't help but like a dip in a big steam cloud Smile
Park City has very easy bus links to Deer Valley and The Canyons (though all three are not that different to each other).
Snowbird (excellent skiing) and Alta (IMHO not quite as good as the The Bird) are about an hour away by car, bit less usually.

Sorry comprex but I strongly disagree. Snowbird Lodge is an isolated, big concrete mixed hotel/condo. Great access to the hill for sure, but no atmosphere, in a cold valley, not for a family.

Do rent a car, it makes it all so much easier.

If there is enough fresh for The Canyons to be fun then you are already at Park City!

If you go for a week you can easily ski a different hill every day without much effort.

BTW there is a GREAT fun snowtubing place off the main raod, on the left heading back to SLC.
We loved it after a days skiing, strongly recommended.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rungsp, I'd agree re Snowbird. Not somewhere I'd recommend for a young family. Park City a much better bet.

stoatsbrother, not a suggestion for accommodation but we were well impressed with Solitude for skiing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rungsp, these kids have been going to JH.

How insanely bored at a vast low intermediate tourist hell like Park City do you want them to be?

There is -plenty- at AltaBird for kids ( I can enumerate lift by lift if you like); Alta is really an intermediate hill with maybe 3 steep bits.

There will be far easier access at either area to true powder on low-intermediate terrain than at Park City, which means they will learn to ski Utah bottomless quicker and better.

Aggressive-skiing parents will be, on average, physically closer to their children than at any of the I-70 resorts, making lunch arrangements or emergency meetups far more convenient.

Driving -out- of the DV/PC/Canyons triangle for a day ski at Snowbasin or Pow Mow is almost double the drive as for from Snowbird, let alone going to Solitude or Brighton.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Add an endorsement of Snowbasin - very good, deserted midweek even on a powder day (- 1 point for breaking my leg, + 1 for patrol digging my ski out of the creek)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex wrote:

How insanely bored at a vast low intermediate tourist hell like Park City do you want them to be?

Park City "low intermediate tourist hell"? I disagree.

I'd say the 'Bird is more friendly to adventureous upper intermedidates with its wide open bowl. But at Canyons, advance skiers can easily duck into the trees (there're also quite a few wide open bowls at Canyons though not as big as at 'bird). I understand there're plenty of nicely spaced trees at Deer Valley too. (my host at PC is a boarder so I don't visit DV much)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc wrote:
comprex wrote:

Park City "low intermediate tourist hell"? I disagree.

Park City has -two- in-bounds steep lines that one doesn't have to hike for. Jupiter lift and McConkey's. Of those two, Jupiter is a slog to get to and a slog to get out of, and McConkey's is instantly tracked out.

Beyond that there is *nothing* advanced that isn't rated advanced only because of large moguls, like under Thaynes lift or Ski Team lift. Even if that were sufficient advanced terrain, one still has to cross the sea of low-intermediate humanity to get to one from the other, with at least one connector lift ride in between.

PCMR: your Colorado ski experience in the middle of Utah. All the crowds, none of the pow. Heck, Breckenridge has more varied terrain.

Quote:

But at Canyons, advance skiers can easily duck into the trees (there're also quite a few wide open bowls at Canyons though not as big as at 'bird). I understand there're plenty of nicely spaced trees at Deer Valley too. (my host at PC is a boarder so I don't visit DV much)

Canyons is not PCMR.

Yes, there is the Abyss at the Canyons. There is 94 turns and Dutch Hollow and you can do sidecountry figure 8s from 9990 lift. That's worth maybe two days of skiing for a JH-trained skier in spite of having to cross the mixing bowl zoo at Red Pine lodge, pole across the flats and through the slush on Chicane. Except if you want real food it's either down to the base and back up the gondola, or up to Lookout cabin, then fight back through the herds at Red Pine -again-. Don't even bother looking at Super Condor unless you're super-lucky with the weather: everything on the Sun Lodge side is moguled up and baked solid, everything on the Woods side is either tracked out or about to slide under you (as I know first hand). Not to mention the chair itself is a fun test of how good your clothing is as its always directly in the windpath.

Total fun worth for a JH skier in the combination of both Canyons and PCMR: 3 days if one of them is a pow day. Maybe 4 with DV thrown in and allowing that the Canyons gondy might be on windhold.

Just Gad2 lift at the 'bird has that much terrain.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother, got any tips you can pass on for JH,im out there early march
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
vote for Snowbird here. Apres ain't a strong point, but if you're going to ski hard, with Alta it has a great combo of terrain. Decent places to eat and stay too - just not much in the way of wild nightlife. To say the least Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, I think you're jumping to conclusions. They may well be correct, but they are fundamental to the OP's decision...(my apologies of course if you know the answers to the questions...)

stoatsbrother, how old are the kids? How good are they? How good are you? What do you like skiing?

Comprex has a point, but if and only if you're primary motivation is tougher skiing (and possibly pow, but that's never guaranteed anyway). And you don't need any great choice in bars/restaurants, alternative activities for "kids", etc.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name, Kids are 7 and 13. The younger one is brave and has skied about 8 weeks but is low intermediate and will spend most of the holidayin Ski School. The older one skis easier double blacks (like Tower 3 at JH) but struggles if the powder gets more than a foot deep - but I think he will lick that this year, and will be better than me in 2 years. I ski at SCGB Purple-Gold level - ie not worried by bumps/steepness or powwder really, but fitness is my usual limiting factor. Wife skis tidily and well - but not quite as well as eldest sprog.

Snowbird is sounding good so far.

nigel b, you will have fun. Where are you staying - what do you want to ski?

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 26-08-09 16:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
stoatsbrother, http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28501&start=40#681610
ski holidays
Hurtle, Ta - more to think about. Sounds like Park City may be the nicer resort but ALta/Snowbird might be the place to go if your are only going once...
latest report
stoatsbrother, terrain at Snowbird/Alta is infinitely more interesting than the hills around PCMR, and importantly they get a lot more snow - 500+ inches compared to 3-350 inches. So you pow chances are a lot greater - there's a lot of JH-like fun to be had. The Park City hills are nice, and it is a good town, but the skiing is far from legendary ...
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, staying at virginian lodge
wanna try everything while im there but im not really clued up on what its like
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, are you legendary skiers? I'm going to stick my oar in once more that as far as I can see, there's nothing to do in Snowbird other than skiing. (OK, there are a few more restaurants than I thought). Are your kids keen on spending the evening in a hotel room with nothing to do? If they are, you may want to write a book on child rearing...

On the few trips I've made there, we very much ended up at PC as a base. One of the great things about the area is that the weather is very valley dependent, so on a weather active day you get some choice as to where to go.

It doesn't sound as though your group is hard core off piste. Alta/Snowbird is like any other resort on piste. It's the off piste that's extraordinary - and that attracts the crowds on a snow day. We spent (almost) all our time off-piste. And ended up preferring Solitude for skiing (as it's quieter).

But we like our non-ski activities as well and Park City is unquestionably the place to stay for that. I mean, an acquaintance is a ski patroller in Alta but chooses to live in Park City...
ski holidays
under a new name, your assessment is spot on - Utah tends be be a choice between some of best resort skiing/snow on planet at Snowbird/Alta, with average nightlife (it's ok, it just finishes early), or a great town at PC with very average skiing. Bear in mind tho, its a long drive from one to the other, especially when it snows, so if you stay at PC, you ain't gonna spend much time in Little Cottonwood canyon.

For us, skiing trumps apres, so we hit the bird and make most of nightlife (actually some decent places to eat). Doing it that way, when it dumps, you're up the canyon already and get first hit at the pow. When the road is closed, you're in heaven. If apres trumps skiing, stay at PCMR. Or do a week at each ....
latest report
under a new name, see post a few above for standards. Basically 2 of us will be mainly after soft stuff - and perhaps a bit of sidecountry if there is any to be had (Is it worth me taking skins?).

Quiet is good - we will probably be in bed by 2130 - and have very happily stayed at Lake Louise - where there is nothing apart from a few restaurants and a liquor store.

I wonder about a condo in snowbird and a day or 2 in PC - but if we are going single resort I think we are now sold on Snowbird.
snow report
nigel b, gone past the virginian many times - never been in it - are you hiring a car or riding the bus?

Basically you are going to have a ball at JH - great inbounds stuff including some steeps - the new tram is really good. Some nice back country out of the gates too. There are some great places to eat from Bubbas (a palace of pork) just up the road from you, to really fine restaurants, Thai, Italian, sushi etc etc. pm me if you need recommendations. Shopping is good too. Also my favourite airport in the world.

If you are there for a while, going to Grand Targhee (in Idaho) on the bus is a good thing to do - especially the day after a powder day. And there should be a SCGB rep at JH there who you could hook up with too.
snow report
stoatsbrother, yep, we stay at Lake Louise too when in that part of the world Wink
ski holidays
yep.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 27-08-09 22:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
stoatsbrother, OK, if the kids are not so demanding seems like a plan. I can understand, I have a bit of a hankering on to stay at Snowbird, but group thinking always demanded more evening stuff (not that I think we are on snow slouches...

but we do like our fine dining.

Sorry, having a multiple SHs personality moment... (D.M. A.K.A. U.A.N.N.)
ski holidays
Park City is the only real ski village in Utah (some might dispute that claim). Park City has lots of shops, pubs, restaurants, etc. Park City has a lot to offer, IMO. Deer Valley and Park City Mountain Resort are right there; The Canyons is just down the road. All connected by good bus service. The villages at Alta, Snowbird, and Solitude are small and limited. If you want to stay in a village with stuff going on, these may feel constraining. We've also stayed in Sandy near the entrances to big and little cottonwood canyons (where Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, and Solitude) are located. It's suburban America with lots of chain restaurants, car dealerships, strip malls, and little or no resort feel. It's not bad, just doesn't feel like you're staying in a ski resort. We've also stayed up in Eden which is close to Powder Mountain and Snowbasin. Not much going on in the Eden area after getting off the slopes. The Park City area resorts have a base elevation and have exposures that make them more prone to spring conditions. By late March and early April you'd be more likely to find spring conditions in those resorts (the same would be true of Jackson Hole). Of course you might also find great powder. I'd say Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, and Brighton would offer the best chance for the best snow at that time of year. Snowbird usually stays open into June. Alta had a huge base last year when they closed. Alta, Snowbird, etc. are about 45 minutes to 1 hour from Park City; usually an easy drive.
snow report
Oh extra random thought - if your boys are into planes & you want a (half) rest day take a drive up to Hill AFB up near Ogden, great free collection of US military aircraft with vets to talk to about them. Far more interesting than a trip to Temple Square (even if you're no a bomb em all right wing hawk)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, oh, yes - they even have an SR-71 (Blackbird). A truly awesome & huge bit of kit and quite bizarre seen in the flesh. Like something out of SciFi with curves that aren't quite Euclidean. Lovely.
ski holidays
abc, fatbob, RISkier, under a new name, gortonator, rungsp,

Thanks for all the help. We have now booked and have agreed a sort of compromise arrangement.

American Airlines LHR>DFW>SLC

5 nights in Park City at a B&B which looks good on Trip Advisor - Hopefully this will get the family's legs back up to speed (I will already have had 2 weeks on the snow) - perhaps a couple of side trips from there.

6 nights Half Board in Alta at the Alta Lodge (the options for families in Snowbird if you did not want a big condo - or quad occupancy of a bedroom - were not as good)

Then one night at the Holiday Inn express in SLC

Just got the car hire to book now! snowHead

UANN I love the sr 71 - they have one at Duxford.
latest report
stoatsbrother, OK, fairy nuff. I (we?) will be interested to hear how you get on.

They have one at Duxford too? I presume they flew it there as cutting the wings off and driving it from the US probably wasn't feasible.
snow report
under a new name, It was just a short drive down the A11 from Mildenhall to Duxford. It probably leaked more fuel on Mouldy's apron than it took to fly there Cool
snow conditions
Quote:

There will be far easier access at either area to true powder on low-intermediate terrain than at Park City, which means they will learn to ski Utah bottomless quicker and better.

Quote:

Sounds like Park City may be the nicer resort but Alta/Snowbird might be the place to go if you are only going once...

Being gullible types, Mrs MA & I fell for all the "Greatest snow on earth" hype and booked 10 days in Utah last January. We had a great time skiing Park City, The Canyons, Deer Valley, Alta & Snowbird - but were more than a bit disappointed to find no powder whatsoever - every scrap was long skied out:( . Fantastic snow conditions and some great steeps but "The greatest snow on earth?" My @rse!! In fact we got rather peed off at the locals telling us how unusual 4 (then 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.....) blue sky days in a row was and how we should have been there "last week".

Of course it then dumped big style the day after we come home. C'est la vie eh?
latest report
mountainaddict, poo-poo happens, dude - if only we could control the weather every time we went on holidays. On average, it probably is as good as any snow on earth. You'll just have to time it better next time ... sounds like you may have hit the January doldrums - it's not uncommon to have a 2 week-ish dry spell after the big dumps of dec are over. We seem to get one in January in the Pacific Northwest most years.
snow conditions
Masque, and an SR-71 will fit on the A11? Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
under a new name, They are actually quite narrow. Now if it was a B52...
snow report
Quote:

poo-poo happens, dude

Er.......we know. Last year we had 3 days at Kicking Horse: Gondola closed due to a storm and stuck on the (comparatively) cr@ppy lower half of the mountain only. Don't feel inclined to rush back there either.
Re. Utah powder: We accept that it can't be guaranteed - just saying that Utah did not live up to it's "greatest snow on earth claim" in our visit and warning people that you can't always believe the hype. Given that 99 out of 100 skiers seem to ski bottomless powder at Alta and Snowbird I'm sure that you can understand our disappointment. As I mentioned, we still had a great time - we just love skiing anything and anywhere.
Quote:

You'll just have to time it better next time

Unrealistic when booking up to a year ahead for the best airfares I'm afraid Sad .
Quote:

On average, it probably is as good as any snow on earth

So a bit different to "The greatest snow on earth" then?!
Quote:

sounds like you may have hit the January doldrums - it's not uncommon to have a 2 week-ish dry spell after the big dumps of dec are over.

Hmmmm.....wonder why they don't mention that in the brochure?......Will bear it in mind for future trips.
latest report
Going all the way to Utah and then staying at the crashing mediocrity of Park City just does not compute.

There are plenty of great North American resorts where you and your family could have a good time. Why choose one of the lousiest?
snow conditions
bad_roo, So having gone to Utah, where would you suggest someone to stay ?? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
going to utah first week of March next year. flying united via SFO and then down to SLC. staying in hilton garden inn at sandy, booked direct with hotel and car via car hire 3000. hopefully the weather will be ok, but at least that gives us a chance to go the various resorts, such as Brighton, Solitude as well as PC, and deer Valley. flights were about £525 each with a 3 day stop in SFO on the way back. all we need is snow and clearish roads! BTW, no credit card charges, ski carriage is (or was last year!) free with united, no booking fee and i paid in GBP. hopefully at that time of year the weather should be ok??? any body have experiences or advice?

snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy