Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does skiing rails etc. knackered your bases and edges?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm buying skis this year and heading into the park takes my fancy, but skiing on rails etc can't be good for your skis right?

Any advice? Should I steer clear if I want to keep my skis in good condition?

Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kersh, Oh yeah Twisted Evil

Rent park skis (check they're NOT nice and sharp), buy snow skis. Unless you can find some nice cheap twintips on fleaBay.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Allot of the new twin tips have edge armour to keep them from getting to bashed and the bases tend to be a little tougher than your regular piste skis. After all that is what they are designed for
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
True. Of course none of ^that^ helps when the edge and sidewall separate from the core.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get over it?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kersh, if you plan on hitting rails everyday for the whole season, lets say 5 to 6 months, then yes you do run the risk of blowing out/damaging your bases and edges.

If however your going to be making 3 maybe 4 week long trips this year, I don't think you'll run much risk of seriously damaging your skis. Just remember to wax the well, and detune the edges underfoot.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers eveyone. Looks like I was right to be cautious. Maybe i'll hire a pair of park skis for my first couple of a goes! snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kersh, you gonna head round these parts?...

Got Burton's 'stash' park in Flachau winkl - along with the original Absolut park.
Then Schladming has quite a nice newish one as well; the Atomic park... some good rollers...
Eben's is shorter but great for trying boxes and rails as there are so many of them... terrible looking jump though... caused a bit of damage last year, hopefully this years will be a but better!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
flangesax, I was planning to hit the QPark in Gastein - never been on it but it get's a good write up.

www.snowpark-gastein.com

youtube.com/v/we2Frvco0Ko

Hopefully will get over your neck of the woods though.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK, enlighten me, why was this taken seriously? My gut reaction on reading the title was 'well of course it will knacker edges and bases'. Since clearly you can get away with a certain amount from the responses above, my question is why? They sound terrible things for all but the most knackered skis
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, Agree, its obvious, metal against metal, that's why there hasn't been any comment for Spyderjon Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum wrote:
... my question is why?

To have fun, at a guess.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
radar wrote:
Megamum, Agree, its obvious, metal against metal, that's why there hasn't been any comment for Spyderjon Toofy Grin

Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, i've never been in a park and to be honest have no idea what the kit is made of. While it seams obvious that they would be made of metal, it also seams daft to have somehting to use with skis that will knacker them? Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
radar, if you land on and leave a rail or box cleanly then you won't do much harm (though thin rails can leave pressure grooves. But there are few people who get it right every time and many more who screw it up big time. Land on an edge or hit a corner of a box and you WILL do damage. The manufactures do toughen up their specific park skis and while they're considered bullet-proof . . . they're not numpty-proof.
snow report
hey Masque, but how many numpties ride the park!!
snow conditions
the_doc, many more than the gods of steeze in the vids. Just sit on a bench at the bottom of a park with a beer and a sandwich and count the blown edges and gouged bases. It is mostly the fearless kids who bounce off the furniture without puncturing a lung or leaving puke in the piste that do the most damage. But fat old punters having a willy measuring contest can do some serious pTex harm too. Embarassed
ski holidays
Kersh, Masque, That was what I meant by 'why', i.e. why was it that a some people could get away with a certain amount of park use when it would seem obvious that parks would knacker bases. You answers both clarified that, thanks.
snow conditions
It's really not too big a problem. The majority of 'rails' that people will hit are boxes, with a flat, slightly wider sliding suface covered in some kind of toughened plastic. Most are also ride on, or have a very small gap from the snow to the box, meaning the impact of the ski hitting the plastic/metal is minimal. Once you move up to single barrel handrail style rails with larger gaps the risk is higher - but then generally the skill level is also higher, so you're less likely to be slamming your skis hard onto the metal.

I've skied park for a long while, and in probably 7 years, including 3 full seasons, plus riding at indoor slopes, I've only ever fully broken one edge. Of course, the edges get dulled underfoot by the rails, but it doesn't make a huge difference when skiing elsewhere on the hill if your technique is solid.

I wouldn't worry about it. Skis are meant to be used and enjoyed.
snow conditions
MagSeven wrote:
Skis are meant to be used and enjoyed.

Agreed.
latest report
rob@rar, Rental skis are meant to be abused and returned Twisted Evil

However being a numpty, I've terminated two boards learning how to bleed in the park Confused
snow conditions
Masque, yes, but don't complain if the rental shop gives you last year's tat if the snow is poor with rocks everywhere Wink

If you spend a lot of time in the park you accept that it will an an effect on your skis/board. The same if you ski when conditions are a bit marginal and there's the danger of hitting rocks.
ski holidays
Megamum, your asking why anyone would want to jump onto rails?

Why would anyone want to spend thousands of pounds, going somewhere so cold they need to wear several layers and slide down very steep hills very quickly on bits of metal and wood that are strapped to their feet and then taking machines back up to the top of the mountain to do it all again.

Umm, because we're skiers, its what we do.
ski holidays
buckers, Nope I was asking, why would anyone ask if skiing on rails etc. would be likely to damage bases, edges (which I took to be the OPs question), when it would seem obvious to me that it would. However, several here have indicated that if skied carefully rails can be skied with minimal damage so maybe the OP was actually a valid question
snow report
Masque,
Quote:

they're not numpty-proof.

Been away to flat Norfolk or would have posted sooner, I do watch in admiration when you see someone do it well, but most are in the numpty class Smile
snow report
If you rent twins and hit rails make sure that blown out edges are covered under your insurance. It would be a pain to have to pay for the skis even though they are not yours.

As well as everything mentioned above I would add that edge cracks are common after riding rails a bit but most skis will remain skiable as long as the edges don't start to seperate.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy