Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1)Anyone tried Blizzard Firebird X05? 2)How to rent specific ski model?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
1) Anyone actually skiied Blizzard Firebird X05? Going for £139.99 on ebay. Blizzard website has it as intermediate/progressive. snowHead

2)How do you pre-book a specific ski model in the Alps? I only seem to be able to pre-rent a price category from which the ski will be purportedly drawn. Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slikedges,
Don't know the Firebird but agree that you generally book a category rather than a model.

Best thing to do is trawl through the shops until you find what you are looking for or hire from home but then that would negate the reason for hiring, I would think...!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not used the Firebird but I have skied the Sigma model in the past and that was fine. Blizzard aren't that well known in the UK but I don't think they are an "inferior" brand as such: watching the current World Champs from Bormio there seem to be several racers doing quite well on Blizzard skis. If that price includes bindings then it is an absolute bargain; even if no bindings still v cheap for a pair of skis.

If you want to hire a specific ski you will probably have to hire it in this country then take it with you. You may prefer to buy. Do bear in mind tho that buying poles & bag, ski servicing and airline carriage all add up, and it takes many trips to get your money back on a pair of skis, even cheap ones. You do have the benefit of good quality, properly maintained equipment tho, which is not always the case from a resort hire shop!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I generally hire these days because I haven't found a pair of skis that I must have. Although having said that I am interested in Head Mad Trix and if I find the pair that I love I will buy them.

I usually hire premium skis which are very likley to be this years model but the shop keeps these back for good conditions which I think is ok. I have no problem skiing last years skis and got to try the Rossi 9s which is a fantastic piste ski with Slalom characteristics, the Rossi B2 as it was snowing lots, and the Head Monster 75 which in the deep snow outperformed the B2 which was not at all shoddy in the right lenght.

So assuming that the hire shop has a good selection of premium skis and you pay at least 100Eu for the week then that would mean 6 weeks or so of hiring to buy to a pair of skis. Take out carriage costs of some planes and servicing if you don't do your own and for me, it just shades it to hire as I don't have to carry them and get to change in the resort for different conditions.
But like I said if I found the right ski - and I was hoping to demo the metron b5, I would buy. But accept that the top end of skis, and the B5 is one of them, might not be an attractive option for hire shops. Then you need to find Demo days which are not too common in the Alpes, I feel.

As the ice perv says, if the ski fits your profile then £139.00 is cheap skiing. Two weeks hire will pay for that but in my experience if you must have a certain ski then get it from Gatwick Skis or wherever you find it to make sure of skiing on it...!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info on hiring. I'm glad I wasn't just missing something obvious. I must admit that as I've not been that pleased with rental in resort in previous seasons, I've succumbed and bought B2s, which I'm looking forward to sliding on a white surface longer than 150m and deeper than 10cm. Cool

I want the X05 for occas dry use Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy